Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nesmith and Tork were both musicians before The Monkees. Tork was a multi-instrumentalist and friend of Stephen Stills, I believe. Nesmith of course, turned out to be pretty talented on many different fronts.

Neither Dolenz nor Davey Jones were musicians before the Monkees. But supposedly Jones could play drums a bit (he didn't play for The Monkees) and Dolenz had a pretty good voice.

I think of Davey Jones as basically the same as Justin Beiber (however you spell it). Not a musician, but made famous because he looked good and had an acceptable voice. The girls love him, or so they say.

Davey Jones was the reason we have David Bowie. Bowie's real name is David Jones and had to change it as he got famous.

Zowie Bowie, his son,now 39, goes by his given name of Duncan Jones. He is getting notice as a director and won several British film awards.

Did a "cheesiest songs" themed radio show today, and came across "Africa" by Toto and "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. Both songs were #1 hits, and I can't believe neither band has been mentioned here yet.

Did a "cheesiest songs" themed radio show today, and came across "Africa" by Toto and "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. Both songs were #1 hits, and I can't believe neither band has been mentioned here yet.

To be "over"rated, you need at least some people to hold you up as amazing, awesome, or greatest.

Toto and REO Speedwagon won't be in that club. They were in and out of the top slot--REO lasted longer but still, no one would ever say they were great. Just a short-lived pop rock thing.

Did you get around to playing that song that goes "You're the best...around! Never gonna let 'em keep ya down..."

That's in the top 10 cheesiest of all time. It does make for a very effective montage however.

To be "over"rated, you need at least some people to hold you up as amazing, awesome, or greatest.

Toto and REO Speedwagon won't be in that club. They were in and out of the top slot--REO lasted longer but still, no one would ever say they were great. Just a short-lived pop rock thing.

A bunch of people thought those songs were great (as shown by reaching #1), and they clearly aren't. So are the songs overrated, rather than the bands themselves?

Did you get around to playing that song that goes "You're the best...around! Never gonna let 'em keep ya down..."

That's in the top 10 cheesiest of all time. It does make for a very effective montage however.

Sure did :D

Toto was overrated, I think. It was easy to overrate them. Jeff Porcaro was a fabulous drummer who played with a wide variety of first rate musicians. If you just listen to many of Toto's songs (let's put aside such travesties as Africa or Rosanna) without the lyrics, you might say, "These guys can play. This is well composed, and relatively sophisticated music." You might say that.

But after listening to their juvenile lyrics, and suffering through their unbearable hits, you'd quickly notice they make dreck, in very fancy clothing.

Since I think very few take the time to actually listen, carefully, to music, I think many think they are/were a good band.

Toto was overrated, I think. It was easy to overrate them. Jeff Porcaro was a fabulous drummer who played with a wide variety of first rate musicians. If you just listen to many of Toto's songs (let's put aside such travesties as Africa or Rosanna) without the lyrics, you might say, "These guys can play. This is well composed, and relatively sophisticated music." You might say that.

But after listening to their juvenile lyrics, and suffering through their unbearable hits, you'd quickly notice they make dreck, in very fancy clothing.

Since I think very few take the time to actually listen, carefully, to music, I think many think they are/were a good band.

I don't know anybody who thinks they're good or great.......At least I hope I don't!.......They were good session musicians who should have stayed that.

It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you,

There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do.

:lol::lol: :lol:

It's so awful. Sounds like a love poem I'd write at 10 years old.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to relay this to a co-worker.

I read this to my co-worker (around the same age as you too) who loves Toto and annoys the piss out of me with Africa and Rosanna on Youtube... You know what he said about your post:

"What? Just because your girlfriend named Rosanna out of South Africa dumped your ass back in 1982-83, that is no reason to hate on the band."

:doh:

Gee Dean... I shouldn't have opened my fat trap... Now I am being subjected to non-stop Poco, Crazy love!

:wallbash: :wallbash: