Most Over Rated Band of All Time?

truth on hold

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want under-rated? I'll give you under-rated: The Velvet Underground and The Kinks.

Totally agree on The Kinks. They were so good, and now they are totally forgotten. That live album they put out in around 1980 got totally worn out by me. I saw them in '80, also, and they were great.

As for the Monkees, I would actually say they are underrated because everybody thinks they are a joke. Yet, I love songs like I'm a believer, Last Train to Clarksville, Daydream Believer, etc.

I'm not sure who wrote them, but I do know that Michael Nesmith wrote one of my all time favorite songs - Different Drum, made famous by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies (but I love Susanna Hoffs version, as well.)........Plus, I think it so cool that his mother invented Liquid Paper!

You want under-rated? I'll give you under-rated: The Velvet Underground and The Kinks.

cheers to that. I constantly shuffle 33,000 songs. Through the years, I have found that I really dig Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan. Lou Reed has some classic solo stuff too. New York is an incredible album IMO

But were they overrated? They had a TV show, so they were overexposed. But i think most everyone new they were a fake band. Didn't they?

I know..I had to put band in quotes for that reason. Still I think that they fooled a lot of kids who thought they were a real band and went to their concerts. From the interviews of those who gave interviews (Mickey Dolenz and the short guy) they didn't even take the band idea seriously. I think the other two were happy because they never even got a chance to show whatever creativity they actually had. I don't know whether either of them had any cuz I never heard from them afte the monkees.

Totally agree on The Kinks. They were so good, and now they are totally forgotten. That live album they put out in around 1980 got totally worn out by me. I saw them in '80, also, and they were great.

As for the Monkees, I would actually say they are underrated because everybody thinks they are a joke. Yet, I love songs like I'm a believer, Last Train to Clarksville, Daydream Believer, etc.

I'm not sure who wrote them, but I do know that Michael Nesmith wrote one of my all time favorite songs - Different Drum, made famous by Linda Ronstadt and the Stone Ponies (but I love Susanna Hoffs version, as well.)........Plus, I think it so cool that his mother invented Liquid Paper!

Agreed on all fronts, especially Different Drum.

Valerie and Going Down are two other great Monkees songs.

I saw Peter Tork play a BBQ festival in RVA last year. He's doing the rounds covering old Monkees tunes and talking about his battle with alcoholism.

Agreed on all fronts, especially Different Drum.

Valerie and Going Down are two other great Monkees songs.

I saw Peter Tork play a BBQ festival in RVA last year. He's doing the rounds covering old Monkees tunes and talking about his battle with alcoholism.

Cool, did you buy him a drink?

I very much agree, especially VU. Lou Reed is one of the bigger jerks I have ever met, but man, he has done some incredible stuff over the years. Love the Kinks too, although, some of the 70's opera stuff does not age so well for me. But, Muswell Hillbillies is one of my all-time favorite albums. Good call! :thumbsup:

The Velvets have become much more appreciated in recent years, but man, when you go back and listen to those original albums, it is still a revelation. REM (overrated IMO) really did a lot to open folks eyes to them. I remember hearing "Heroin" for the first time, around 1980, when I was 15. The song just blew me away...I herd it on the Canadian CBC radio station in the wee hours of the morning, during a snow day from school. I wrote the name of the band down, and some of the lyrics, thinking, I gotta go down to Play It Again Sams, and find this record. I asked my older sister if she had ever heard of them...she knew all about them, but told me their records were almost impossible to find. Some junkie, bartender friend of hers had them. I went to Play It Again Sams, no luck. So, I borrowed the records from my sisters friend, and recorded the first three albums on cassette. About 2 or 3 years later, they re-issued them on vinyl, thanks in large part, to REM covering a bunch of their songs, and reviving interest. Great stuff...

I agree with you on the Kinks. Sleepwalker through State of Confusion are some of the best power pop albums ever released . . .

the Velevet Underground as UNDER-RATED???? One fairly decent album out of 4 and they're in the RNR HOF? Sorry, not under-rated at all.

In fact, they are the poster boys for this thread . . .incredibly, undoubtedly, significantly, incredibly OVERRATED.