Hypothetical..

What if you suddenly came into 15 thousand dollars. But you are in your 50's amnd have lost everything to divorce, or health, etc. Retirment plans, IRA's, everything gone. This is money to start over, but you have to make it count. This is not fun money, or an extra windfall to stick into a savings bank. This may be your last chance to make something out of the rest of your life. What would you do? Would you buy gold? Would you move to Coasta Rica? Would you start a hostel, or a tree cutting business? Would you start a business at all. What would you do if this might be your last chance to not live completely off social security when you get old.

Hypotheticaly - you could start a small business with very little money. What kind would depend on how handy you are and what you know about anything that would be able to be turned in to some kind of service you could provide.

If I was in my 50s and intended to have a $15k windfall alleviate my dependence on Soc Sec, I'd buy a really nice stainless steel refrigerator; the biggest and heaviest made. Cuz w/o Soc Sec, I'd be living in the box it came in pretty shortly if $15k was all I had to retire on.

Seriously, I hope this is hypothetical. If you're 30, you've got the opportunity to have that $ grow into something (figuring/hoping it'll dbl in "real value" every 10-12 yrs, that'd yield maybe $120k in todays $). If you're already almost at retirement age, you can't expect that $ to grow much, so it should be treated as either "mad money", or an opportunity for a "flyer" that might amount to something.

Use it to make a down payment on a 3-unit rental property. Live in one and let the other two pay the mortgage. That way, all you've got to worry about is the expenses of daily living: food, et al.

This person's life sucks enough as it is why would you want them to become a slumlord?

Until he gets on his feet, would give him a fighting chance.

So you're saying he could get by without having to pay a morgage? Hell I'd rather find a job that would pay the mortgage or rent plus everything else and have some left over to put aside. I'd be depressed enough if I were in this situation but not only being a slumlord but having to live in the slum I'm lord over plus have the people that could only afford to live in the slum as my neighbors and sharing walls with them would push me over the edge.

A few OK ideas here. Someone I know is in this situation. He knows he'll have to keep working. I thought about the hostel idea because I've stayed in a few and have been very impressed. Mostly Europeans, South or Central Americans, or Austrailians. Travelers I've talked to say America needs more of them. As long as the dollar stays weak against their currencies, they will continue to visit and vacation here. It's a good value for them right now. It could be a growth industry as well. Ones that are popping up are showing better profitability than traditional hotels. I'll throw some of these ideas at him. I have a feeling some of the money will go towards beer and hookers. Buy an RV and start cooking. Many have done this and succeeded.

So you're saying he could get by without having to pay a morgage? Hell I'd rather find a job that would pay the mortgage or rent plus everything else and have some left over to put aside. I'd be depressed enough if I were in this situation but not only being a slumlord but having to live in the slum I'm lord over plus have the people that could only afford to live in the slum as my neighbors and sharing walls with them would push me over the edge.

Why does it have to a slum? What are you renting in?