SI: Bills 3-13

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Looks like they are headed in the right direction. Not alot of talent on the team though. We are mega weak still on the lines and LB core. We play in a tough division for sure. I expect us to be anywhere from 3 to 8 for the win column.

Mega weak on the lines?? Don't see it. Our D-line is a real strength. Williams conversion to NT was a worry but has been playing like a total animal at NT. Stroud lost weight and has looked grat as a 3-4 end. Edwards has shown me nothing bad. Sorry - worries about our d-line are speculation from the Spring - not reality in September.

The O-line? They looked fine when they were in there - Green at RT is the only one who looks weak. You want to call Wood weak? Levitre? Bell has been very good when he's been in. Hanny's adequate. This is now an average O-line (if they stay healthy). Not mega-weak.

I'll buy that the LB group is weak - probably the big weakness on the team right now.

Special teams coverage needs to improve in a hurry.

As for the tough division - wow - did we suddenly move to a new one?? Seems like they've been an almost .500 team for years now playing in the same exact division - just like Miami and the Jets for that matter. The distinctions from writers between the three teams not called the Patriots are group-think nonsense from lazy writers reading each other's stuff. Bills will finish 2nd this year - it won't even be close, as we are the only team in the division except NE with a decent QB. Sanchez (aka Leinart-east) sucks out loud. Henne is not much better.

Edited by BobChalmers

I haven't seen anything posted about this but on the AFC East segment with Jon Gruden and Jaws they were asked 5 wins, over or under for Buffalo and both said under. I really like it this way, low expectations. It would make it that much sweeter if we surprised everyone and had a good season.

Yeah. Looks like they are headed in the right direction. Not alot of talent on the team though. We are mega weak still on the lines and LB core. We play in a tough division for sure. I expect us to be anywhere from 3 to 8 for the win column.

This line of thinking really bothers me. How can we adequately judge the talent we do have based on the offensive (and one could argue defensive, as well) schemes they've been playing in? Roscoe Parrish could be the prime example of that if he pans out. In my very humble opinion, there is a great deal of talent on this team. Unfortunately it hasn't been utilized to maximize its strengths.

Everybody seems to have some certain thoughts and predictions about this squad. Nobody knows anything. I believe this team will play some exciting offense. Nobody will know how to defend what Chan throws out there with his 3 headed rb and a suddenly intelligent QB. We have yet to put any defensive game plan into effect.

I believe this team will be very competitive, and will win more games than they lose.

It's funny how a last place schedule has us playing Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Vikes, Ravens....and 2 games each against the Jets, Pats, and Fins. According to the experts, we've started the season with 10 losses. Nice schedule will get this team ready for the playoffs.

If we stay relatively healthy.

Everybody seems to have some certain thoughts and predictions about this squad. Nobody knows anything. I believe this team will play some exciting offense. Nobody will know how to defend what Chan throws out there with his 3 headed rb and a suddenly intelligent QB. We have yet to put any defensive game plan into effect.

I believe this team will be very competitive, and will win more games than they lose.

It's funny how a last place schedule has us playing Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Vikes, Ravens....and 2 games each against the Jets, Pats, and Fins. According to the experts, we've started the season with 10 losses. Nice schedule will get this team ready for the playoffs.

If we stay relatively healthy.

I wouldn't get too worked up over the "tough" schedule just yet as time has proven that some of those teams will fall off. The team that has the projected "toughest" schedule going into a season rarely ever finishes with the toughest schedule due to some teams not meeting expectations.

Methinks some of those squads will struggle this year and be a bit easier for us to win...my best guesses? The Steelers and Vikings both will be below .500.

The author has drunk the "Jets are the best team out there" cool aid. He's also paying more attention to the "national press" about the Bills than about the Bills themselves. Bills will be 5 - 11 at worst and 8 - 8 at best. It will be an entertaining season and one to build off of.

Seriously.

I think the pundits will say this because of their love of the other three AFCE teams. I can see 8-8 easily, but anything more than that will be icing on the cake. Maybe 6-10 at worst, but with the rebuilding and everyone taking time to learn Gailey's offense and the 3-4 defense, I don't think 8-8 is exaggerating at all.

About the comments on drafting high not working out for teams like Detroit and St Louis...

I think because of the lack of a rookie salary scale, drafting high (more specifically first overall) is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Since there is little to no difference between the 32nd pick in the first round and the first pick in the 2nd round (and so on), the only difference between drafting as the champs or the worst team in the league is that the bad team gets that one first overall dibs. They now have to drop $40-50 million on a player who very well might not play to that value, or at least take a few years to develop. Which means less money for retaining or attracting quality talent, which takes more money to begin with being a bad "unsexy" team and all. Which means they have to overspend on one or two quality players, or settle on mediocre talent, either way meaning a bad record, leading to another high, expensive draft pick. The cycle continues...

Going into the pre-season I thought the Bills were a 4-12 team, seeing how much Edwards has improved as a player I could see the Bills going 6-10. It's all going to be about how good/bad Edwards does in the end.

Edited by Section444

The author has drunk the "Jets are the best team out there" cool aid. He's also paying more attention to the "national press" about the Bills than about the Bills themselves. Bills will be 5 - 11 at worst and 8 - 8 at best. It will be an entertaining season and one to build off of.

Agreed, NT. I actually go a step further and say what I've said before and that is if the Bills do go 5-11 they will be a better "team" than the 6-10 that ended the season last year.

However, and I know we hate this record, but I'm holding out for 7-9.

Anything less than a winning season means your nothing more than an inert ingredient of the NFL ...

1-15 or 8-8 is all the same to me..

In general I agree with you. However in this case, if Gailey/Nix can manage 8-8 with the very few meaningful personnel changes they have made and the seemingly harder schedule they have this year I would consider that a great success and would think we are definitely on the right track for the future.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The reason all these guys love the Jets is become this isn't really about analysis, they're mostly all writing the "who has entertained me most lately" articles. It's pretty clear the Jets won the off-season. They signed a bunch of over-the-hill but prominent name guys and one trouble maker who is a somewhat special receiver. They made the AFC title game and the writer's forget they nearly missed the playoffs three weeks earlier.

It doesn't mean much. How many times have the Washington Redskins signed every breathing human being basically, won the off-season, and then crapped the bed come the regular season? It also doesn't mean the Bills will be bad or good. It just means that whatever they are going to be, they built the team in a really boring way. No one wants to talk about the undrafted rookie WR who runs great routes and could leap frog like 8 other guys on the Bills depth chart, even if that meant the Bills were a slightly better team. It's much more exciting to talk about the multi-million dollar, multi-pro bowl future hall of famers who are probably way past their prime but have name power.

Success in the regular season will change all of that.

It wasn't too long ago that we were reading/watching stuff about how Trent Edwards knew all along that he was the best QB in his draft. NFL media has a remarkably short memory.

Mega weak on the lines?? Don't see it. Our D-line is a real strength. Williams conversion to NT was a worry but has been playing like a total animal at NT. Stroud lost weight and has looked grat as a 3-4 end. Edwards has shown me nothing bad. Sorry - worries about our d-line are speculation from the Spring - not reality in September.

The O-line? They looked fine when they were in there - Green at RT is the only one who looks weak. You want to call Wood weak? Levitre? Bell has been very good when he's been in. Hanny's adequate. This is now an average O-line (if they stay healthy). Not mega-weak.

I'll buy that the LB group is weak - probably the big weakness on the team right now.

Special teams coverage needs to improve in a hurry.

As for the tough division - wow - did we suddenly move to a new one?? Seems like they've been an almost .500 team for years now playing in the same exact division - just like Miami and the Jets for that matter. The distinctions from writers between the three teams not called the Patriots are group-think nonsense from lazy writers reading each other's stuff. Bills will finish 2nd this year - it won't even be close, as we are the only team in the division except NE with a decent QB. Sanchez (aka Leinart-east) sucks out loud. Henne is not much better.

as far as the D-Line, lets see how well they stop the run and get QB Pressure. Don't think we'll see much of it this year. But that is to be seen. Brand new defensive scheme, and I'm not sold they got the right players in place for it. You only win games by causing constant pressure and getting in the right lanes to stop big plays. It's suspect right now until proven otherwise. Maybe it will pan out.

The O-Line is a big ? The Center is weak and so are your LT and RT until proven otherwise. If you wanna go to war with this group and expect to to win alot of games, you're joking yourself. ONLY 2 proven players who play well. That is weak to me son. Back ups are weaker then that. Sad group in my opinion, again until proven otherwise...