Oh no...possible explanation for Edwards struggles against the Redskin

Big Turk

I just realized that both of Edwards pretty good performances the last 2 weeks came against teams running a 4-3 defense in Cincy and Indy. However, against Washington, Edwards struggled mightily, and guess what defense they play? A 3-4.

I am really hoping Gailey can teach Edwards what to look for against a 3-4 because otherwise we are in for a loooong season again with Edwards looking good against 4-3 teams and horrible against 3-4 teams...

It's hard to play against any defense when you run for your life every drop back.

Aaron Rodgers and Ben Rothlesberger seem to do just fine, since they were the two most sacked QBs in the NFL and were among the highest rated passers too. Good QBs make plays, period.

I just realized that both of Edwards pretty good performances the last 2 weeks came against teams running a 4-3 defense in Cincy and Indy. However, against Washington, Edwards struggled mightily, and guess what defense they play? A 3-4.

I am really hoping Gailey can teach Edwards what to look for against a 3-4 because otherwise we are in for a loooong season again with Edwards looking good against 4-3 teams and horrible against 3-4 teams...

This ran through my head after the colts game and I realized the rest of our preseason was against 3-4 defenses. You would hope Edwards has figured out the 3-4 defense as he plays against it every day in practice. I feel that Edwards has improved under Gailey, but no way to know for sure until we've seen him in a few regular games.

Edwards guarantees us nothing but yet more dissapointment. I am so sick of our horrid QB situation I could puke.

I am not sure I necessarily buy that. He has 8 OC's in 9 years dating back to college. Could you imagine learning a language for an entire year, then at the end of the year, you have to learn an entirely new language to communicate at all? Is it partially on him? Of course. However, I believe he was put in a horrible situation with OC's that were abysmal. So part of it, I believe is that he has tried to do something different every year and has never gotten comfortable doing the same thing.

Remember, its not just the routes and terminologies that change when a new coach comes in. His whole philosophy on what to look for, reads, progressions, when he wants certain things done, etc all change as well. Edwards head must be swimming with all the changes he has had to learn. I think being in 1 system for multiple years could provide much better results than most people think. Don't forget Gailey made Mike Tomczak, Jay Fiedler, and Kordell Stewart into viable QB's. Edwards clearly has more natural physical abilities at QB than any of those 3 ever had. Not saying I am expecting him to be a pro bowler or anything, but I think given an opportunity to not learn something all over again year after year, Edwards will be better than most think.

Edited by matter2003

The most successful QB in the last several years (Tom Brady) looked pretty ordinary (if not down right horrible) against the Ravens at home in the playoffs this past season when he was running for his life. Just to refresh your recollection, he had a 49.1 QB rating. To correct what you said, good QBs make plays when they are given an opportunity to do so, period.

Aaron Rodgers and Ben Rothlesberger seem to do just fine, since they were the two most sacked QBs in the NFL and were among the highest rated passers too. Good QBs make plays, period.

Last years excuse was that they never practiced against 3-4 defense. We will just have to come up with a new excuse this year if this continues. If you can't fix the problem, fix the blame.

Edited by Conch

give it a break will you..

its not about the 3/4 its about the offensive line and the running backs picking up the blitzes of the 3/4

if the line does its job we will be just fin3e.

we beat the mighty jets last year with one third of our starters out in a very big game for the jets.

its all on the line.

Last years excuse was that they never practiced against 3-4 defense. We will just have to come up with a new excuse this year if this continues. If you can't fix the problem, fix the blame.

Yeah, we practiced against a 4-3 defense, pretending to be a 3-4. Big difference between practicing against last years mock 3-4 and this years real 3-4. I admit, we are not a polished 3-4 D by any means. But the reps the offense gets in practice this year against our 3-4 will be a huge benefit when we face a 3-4 in the regular season.

I am not sure I necessarily buy that. He has 8 OC's in 9 years dating back to college. Could you imagine learning a language for an entire year, then at the end of the year, you have to learn an entirely new language to communicate at all?

This is not entirely correct.

One of the reasons Jauron promoted Turk to OC after Fairchild left was to promote continuity.

From 2007 to 2009, Edwards may have had 3 different OC's, but he ran the same base offense with the same signal calls.

IIRC, there was even an article back in early 2008 where Turk states he kept the same calls as Fairchild to minimize any "new" material the offense would have to learn.

Given the time line of events prior to the 2009 season, there was absolutely no way AVP had the time to rewrite the calls.

Hey, it might just be because its the first game, but until Edwards proves otherwise, he sucks against 3-4 defenses...

Since it seems to be the consensus and well established that the Bills particularily T. Edwards struggles against the 3-4 defense, I would like to know if anyone knows which teams play the 3-4 on our schedule. I am pretty sure all the divison opponents do and if that's the case we may be in trouble in that corner. So who else plays the 3-4 on our 2010 schedule?