I Hate Delta

plenzmd1

I gotta say it, but I love Delta and American. Continental too. They are the last of the airlines here in the US that still fly big planes. There is nothing like riding in 767 or 777. All the little puddle jumper airplanes piss me off.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ever get the chance fly Virgin. They have an entertainment system in front of you that has all sorts of music, movies, TV but the best part is you pick your drink swipe your card and in a couple of minutes the flight attendent shows up with it. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Have heard nothing but positive reviews on Virgin.

Just flew Delta for the first time. Direct flight to Buffalo and back, and i have no complaints. They were actually about 30 minutes early on each leg - which leads me to believe that they pad their arrival times, and I approve of that.

I also approve of Mighty Taco, Duff's, and Buzzy's, all of which I ate last week. :)

I have Delta's Reserve card through AmEx and get a lot of miles and am a Gold Medallion member because I charge my group's malpractice on it, along with personal expenses. I haven't had a single problem with Delta that wasn't my fault or an act of nature, or one they didn't rectify upon calling. One time I was delayed going to Florida by 2 hours because of a rain storm, and they gave me a 2500 mile credit (worth $25) for my trouble.

I do miss their "Sun" carrier, which was low cost ($100 round trip) to Orlando.

I will add this for Mrs. Chef Jim. She will never fly Delta again and was pissed I flew them recently. She plays violin and she called to ask if she could carry her violin case on the plane. They told her yes. Well when she got to the gate they said she had to check it and the woman at the gate didn't budge. There was no way my wife was putting her violin in the baggage hold so she had to swich airlines at the terminal to an airline (United I beleive) that did let her carry it on. And since this incident we've seen tons of people in the gate areas of all airlines with violin cases.

I will add this for Mrs. Chef Jim. She will never fly Delta again and was pissed I flew them recently. She plays violin and she called to ask if she could carry her violin case on the plane. They told her yes. Well when she got to the gate they said she had to check it and the woman at the gate didn't budge. There was no way my wife was putting her violin in the baggage hold so she had to swich airlines at the terminal to an airline (United I beleive) that did let her carry it on. And since this incident we've seen tons of people in the gate areas of all airlines with violin cases.

That's kind of strange because I was under the impression that decisions like that are up to the TSA people, not the airlines, so it will vary from airport to airport. I was a bit concerned at Christmas time whether or not they'd let me carry on a new pair of hockey skates and was told all of that.

I try to stick with SW as much as possible. Their F-Up rate seems to be much lower. Plus the free bags is legit. I carry on 95% of the time, but $50-60 for a single bag is just absurd.

Last time I flew a non-SW airline (actually might have been Delta), I missed my connection in the most bizarre way. I was flying out to South Bend for a game (can't get there direct from most places) and only had about an hour for connection. Anyway, the plane shows up a little late...whatever. Then nothing happens for awhile. No one gets off. Finally, I see them wheeling out a handicapped guy. So I'm like...oh okay, not a big deal. Then the guy gets another wheelchair and goes back in. 4-5 mins later, he comes out wheeling another dude. Then nothing. Then all of a sudden, everyone else starts getting off the plane. So I figured it was all over...cutting it close, but whatever.

After every "walker" got off the plane, nothing happens again. Then the dude goes BACK in with the wheelchair. When he comes out, he tells the gate woman that there are about 15-20 more people on the plane requiring wheelchairs and tells her to get more straight-backed chairs.

So here we all are, standing like cows in a field, while 20 more people in wheelchairs are unloaded one-by-one. It took like 45 minutes. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

I don't often tell this story because I'm not sure if I sound like a completely heartless prick (maybe :lol: ). I have no beef whatsoever with people in wheelchairs needing assistance. But whoever at that airline decided it was a good idea to put 20 such people on the same plane without altering their schedule is crazy.

End of the story is....we get to Detroit about 90 mins late. They radioed and have been holding the plane. So a bunch of us run off and hop on the monorail thing and sprint to the gate (I hate doing that btw...I'm never more self-conscious than when I'm clumsily running though a crowded place holding 2 bags while everyone else is walking normally). When we get to the gate, they say they couldnt wait any longer and had taken off 5 minutes ago. Why the !@#$ would you wait a half hour for a specific plane to land and then leave 5 minutes before people could get there??? And the next flight I could get on ended up getting delayed 5 hours for "mechanical problems" prompting us to switch gates 3 times.

I left my house for the airport at 8:00 that morning. I arrived into SB at 12:15 am. UNREAL. :beer: :beer: :beer:

There was once a time when I enjoyed flying, but those times are long past. Between the security delays, the moronic other passengers, and the inevitable delays flying in and out of beautiful Newark, I just don't enjoy it any more.

That being said, I'll take an RJ over anything else everytime. You give me a plane where I can sit by myself every flight and I will be happy...until I'm three hours delayed coming back home of course.

Wasn't Delta the official airlines of the Mike Douglas or Merv Griffin Show?

:ph34r:

Violin case? Mrs. Chef isn't in the Mafia... Is she? ;)

I was once on a flight with with Yo Yo Ma. He and his cello had first class seats. I suppose for the same reasons this was the only way that he could get the cello to his ultimate destination without damage.

I was once on a flight with with Yo Yo Ma. He and his cello had first class seats. I suppose for the same reasons this was the only way that he could get the cello to his ultimate destination without damage.

And of course he can afford to pay for first class seats for his cello.

I try to stick with SW as much as possible. Their F-Up rate seems to be much lower. Plus the free bags is legit. I carry on 95% of the time, but $50-60 for a single bag is just absurd.

Last time I flew a non-SW airline (actually might have been Delta), I missed my connection in the most bizarre way. I was flying out to South Bend for a game (can't get there direct from most places) and only had about an hour for connection. Anyway, the plane shows up a little late...whatever. Then nothing happens for awhile. No one gets off. Finally, I see them wheeling out a handicapped guy. So I'm like...oh okay, not a big deal. Then the guy gets another wheelchair and goes back in. 4-5 mins later, he comes out wheeling another dude. Then nothing. Then all of a sudden, everyone else starts getting off the plane. So I figured it was all over...cutting it close, but whatever.

After every "walker" got off the plane, nothing happens again. Then the dude goes BACK in with the wheelchair. When he comes out, he tells the gate woman that there are about 15-20 more people on the plane requiring wheelchairs and tells her to get more straight-backed chairs.

So here we all are, standing like cows in a field, while 20 more people in wheelchairs are unloaded one-by-one. It took like 45 minutes. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

I don't often tell this story because I'm not sure if I sound like a completely heartless prick (maybe :lol: ). I have no beef whatsoever with people in wheelchairs needing assistance. But whoever at that airline decided it was a good idea to put 20 such people on the same plane without altering their schedule is crazy.

End of the story is....we get to Detroit about 90 mins late. They radioed and have been holding the plane. So a bunch of us run off and hop on the monorail thing and sprint to the gate (I hate doing that btw...I'm never more self-conscious than when I'm clumsily running though a crowded place holding 2 bags while everyone else is walking normally). When we get to the gate, they say they couldnt wait any longer and had taken off 5 minutes ago. Why the !@#$ would you wait a half hour for a specific plane to land and then leave 5 minutes before people could get there??? And the next flight I could get on ended up getting delayed 5 hours for "mechanical problems" prompting us to switch gates 3 times.

I left my house for the airport at 8:00 that morning. I arrived into SB at 12:15 am. UNREAL. :beer: :beer: :beer:

I might sound like a heartless prick...but I couldn't help laughing at this. And thinking "Maybe there was a cripple convention?"

Okay, maybe I more than sound like a heartless prick...

I might sound like a heartless prick...but I couldn't help laughing at this. And thinking "Maybe there was a cripple convention?"

Okay, maybe I more than sound like a heartless prick...

:lol:

I'm not going to lie...I had many disturbing/hilarious/not-repeatable thoughts as I stood there and watched this fiasco and slowly realized I was never making my connection.

Political correctness will get its ass kicked by frustration almost every time. :pirate:

You and Tom talk about being a heartless prick as if it's a bad thing. Oh and what I hate about having to run to my connecting flight is I don't have time to sit in the bar and guzzle several over-priced drinks. I take a wad of cash with me when I travel and most of it is spent in airport bars. :censored:

You and Tom talk about being a heartless prick as if it's a bad thing. Oh and what I hate about having to run to my connecting flight is I don't have time to sit in the bar and guzzle several over-priced drinks. I take a wad of cash with me when I travel and most of it is spent in airport bars. :censored:

No joke.

The secret is they how they put all of the bars INSIDE of the security gate. There ain't **** to do before you pass through security and once you're in, you're stuck!

"Jack and Coke please. What's that?? $11?? !@#$ you I'm gonna go.......oh wait. !@#$...okay that's fine" :censored::doh:

Funny, just booked a flight this morning to San Fran on the 19th. Made times so I can make sure to see the Bills game that afternoon(Green Bay), then leave around 5.30. Whats so stupid is I need to drive to DC (two hrs) to catch a flight at that time..driving 4 hrs just so I can watch a Bills game, no wonder wife thinks I am nuts.

But, it is on Jet blue so will have the highlights and then the NBC game all the way to Oakland actually. If I gotta be on flight, may as well eneter liqoured up and watch footbll the whole way :thumbsup::beer:

No joke.

The secret is they how they put all of the bars INSIDE of the security gate. There ain't **** to do before you pass through security and once you're in, you're stuck!

"Jack and Coke please. What's that?? $11?? !@#$ you I'm gonna go.......oh wait. !@#$...okay that's fine" :censored::doh:

Ok here's what I do. Guess what is allowed through security? These babies. So I buy a bunch of these at the liquor store before I get to the airport and just order a coke or a virgin mary and use my own booze. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

Ok here's what I do. Guess what is allowed through security? These babies. So I buy a bunch of these at the liquor store before I get to the airport and just order a coke or a virgin mary and use my own booze. :D

:thumbsup:

Before the limitations of liquid, I would fill a couple of water bottles up with booze for the flight. Now that is too big to take through security. I didn't use them in a bar or restaurant. But I might buy an OJ or something at the airport and spike it with vodka. On the airplane all bets were off. A couple glasses of ice and a bottle of water will do the trick most of the time.

:thumbsup:

Before the limitations of liquid, I would fill a couple of water bottles up with booze for the flight. Now that is too big to take through security. I didn't use them in a bar or restaurant. But I might buy an OJ or something at the airport and spike it with vodka. On the airplane all bets were off. A couple glasses of ice and a bottle of water will do the trick most of the time.

Well to be honest I don't use a glass, ice or mixers. Just down those little bastards right out of the bottle. I hate flying.

I HATE DETROIT AIRPORT.

Last time the wife, kid and I flew to LA, we flew thru Detroit. Our plane was late (original flight delayed by 1 hour so what would have been a leisurely 1.5 hour layover was now a blistering 1/2 hour adventure. We had to get to the OTHER SIDE of that massive airport, so I grab all of our carry-ons, and the three of us run (yes, run) the length of the airport, get to the gate where the flight is SUPPOSED to be only to find it's been moved to another gate. Long story short, we made the plane by one minute. I'd have freaked if we'd been stuck in Detroit.

I'll never fly through Detroit again. This time, we're heading through DFW.