Levitre concerns

I posted the thoughts/analysis below in another thread... It strikes me that the Levitre stuff is new criticism and counter the argument that our OG's are beasts. Clearly at least one of them has a ways to go...

Running game

My comments here come as a real surprise. Andy Levitre had a bad first three series, characterised by two major mistakes in the running game. I don't suggest he is solely to blame, but definately more that 50% in both cases. My analysis here is very quick and dirty because I am at work, but...

1. In the first series, the play call is a toss left to Spiller, with McIntyre and Levitre out in front. Levitre pulls from LG and he and McIntrye meet at the point of attack and get in each others way as they block the man at the edge. Levitre has got to be quicker out of his stance and down the back of the line here. Instead, he drops too deep on the pull, gets tangled up in a block (looks like a designed kick out block) that McIntyre has to make (into a seal) for him, and is then behind the play that Spiller takes for positive yards. Had Levitre got to his block in time, McIntyre would have been out in front of Spiller to spring him for more yards... Alternatively, McIntyre makes that block and Levitre kicks out at the second level, giving CJ more room to run.

2. Third seies. Play call looks a bit like a long Trap to the right. Again, Levitre is very slow to make his pull down the back of the OL to the right and Spiller gets blown up 4 yards deep.

He definitely got burned a few times in that last game, but I don't think that out-weighs what he did last year, when he looked pretty good. Maybe if he sucks it up all year you havesomething, but one preseason game does not a problem make.

What he did last year was similar. Watch the tapes. He was average last year. Just like Wood was average. They showed potential, but neither of them were the undeniable beasts many want to make them out to be. It's funny how they mess up and it's overlooked. An OT messes up and they are the worst thing in the world and we HAVE to get new OT's. Our Interior OL had their share of plays that got Jax and Lynch roughed up in the backfield and Trent roughed up before he could throw, including Hangartner. Whole line has to play better than last year. ALL of them.

Edited by purple haze

I have been watching Hangartner and he has been doing a heck of a job getting the snap and exploding off of the ball. He just looks a lot more comfortable out there. Hopefully he takes control of that line and becomes that leader we desperately need.

What he did last year was similar. Watch the tapes. He was average last year. Just like Wood was average. They showed potential, but neither of them were the undeniable beasts many want to make them out to be. It's funny how they mess up and it's overlooked. An OT messes up and they are the worst thing in the world and we HAVE to get new OT's. Our Interior OL had their share of plays that got Jax and Lynch roughed up in the backfield and Trent roughed up before he could throw, including Hangartner. Whole line has to play better than last year. ALL of them.

I agree with you 100%. It is hilarious to watch people here call those two guys beasts. They were both average. The great thing about them is that they improved. Levitre was actually awful in the beginning of the season last year. He played high and got pushed all over the place. He then settled down, held his own, and got better technique wise. That's what made him a valuable player. You could see him get better as the season went on. He then settled in to an average guard, which is good for a rookie year. Hopefully he now takes the next step. Wood is just better talent wise, and hopefully he'll take the next step also. Both have the potential to do it. Neither one was a beast last year. Both were good picks however.

C'mon -- the guys were ROOKIES last year. They stepped in and did a decent job under the circumstances of crappy coaching. I think to criticize either of them is a bit over-the-top. Now, if half-way through THIS season they are making big-time mistakes, then maybe a little criticism is warranted, but not yet. Wood is just getting healthy again for cryin' out loud. Give it a rest.

I posted the thoughts/analysis below in another thread... It strikes me that the Levitre stuff is new criticism and counter the argument that our OG's are beasts. Clearly at least one of them has a ways to go...

He looked pretty bad last pre-season also... I hope he turns it up a bit this week...

C'mon -- the guys were ROOKIES last year. They stepped in and did a decent job under the circumstances of crappy coaching. I think to criticize either of them is a bit over-the-top. Now, if half-way through THIS season they are making big-time mistakes, then maybe a little criticism is warranted, but not yet. Wood is just getting healthy again for cryin' out loud. Give it a rest.

Yeah they were rookies and Bell was a second year player in name only. People forget how little football this guy has played in his life. What two years of college? And he had the same"crappy" coaching. Yet everybody wants to run him out of town. It's not over the top to tell the truth. I like Levitre and Wood. They both have good physical talents and I expect them to play better and be very good players. But they were average last year. That's all I'm saying. They weren't all pros. And it's there on the tapes to prove it. I expect Bell to play better as well. He has the athleticism to be successful at OT.. He's played less football than Levitre or Wood. He didn't even go to college to play football. So you talk about them gaining more expeirence. Bell needs that too. All I'm saying is why is it folks want to run him out of town and Levitre and Wood are in a similar boat.

Edited by purple haze

and he made the all rookie team,go figure,LOL. the kid is going to be a great one IMO,however it does not happen over night all young players are learning every snap.mayock thinks we have the best pair of young guards in the NFL i'll stick with his assessement.

and he made the all rookie team,go figure,LOL. the kid is going to be a great one IMO,however it does not happen over night all young players are learning every snap.mayock thinks we have the best pair of young guards in the NFL i'll stick with his assessement.

And Mark Sanchez was the all rookie team quarterback. Was he a beast? Go figure. :rolleyes:

Yeah they were rookies and Bell was a second year player in name only. People forget how little football this guy has played in his life. What two years of college? And he had the same"crappy" coaching. Yet everybody wants to run him out of town. It's not over the top to tell the truth. I like Levitre and Wood. They both have good physical talents and I expect them to play better and be very good players. But they were average last year. That's all I'm saying. They weren't all pros. And it's there on the tapes to prove it. I expect Bell to play better as well. He has the athleticism to be successful at OT.. He's played less football than Levitre or Wood. He didn't even go to college to play football. So you talk about them gaining more expeirence. Bell needs that too. All I'm saying is why is it folks want to run him out of town and Levitre and Wood are in a similar boat.

You are right -- they were not all-pros. And I agree with you about Bell, too. I'm expecting some decent work by the OL this year, but this unit is still just coming together, so I think people need to be patient and not get all over them over a pre-season game or two. They may not play effectively together until a few weeks into the season -- which can probably be said for most offensive lines across the league. Time will tell, but I think the OL will really start to perform this season -- barring too many injuries.