Levitre concerns

C'mon -- the guys were ROOKIES last year. They stepped in and did a decent job under the circumstances of crappy coaching. I think to criticize either of them is a bit over-the-top. Now, if half-way through THIS season they are making big-time mistakes, then maybe a little criticism is warranted, but not yet. Wood is just getting healthy again for cryin' out loud. Give it a rest.

Perhaps unlike the rest of the team, the OL got great coaching.

That's why last year's OL coach is now the OL coach for the Steelers. You can't use that as an excuse.

But as others have said, both guys seemed to improve as the season went on and looked very good for rookies near the end, which is to say a bit below average for NFL guards. The second year, though, is often a time when guys take a major leap upwards. If this happens, as it should, they should become real strengths on the OL. It's worth remembering, though, that it doesn't happen for everyone. Plenty of people stop improving, for whatever reason. We all need to watch, and that's why good observations like the OP's are worth noting.

I'm expecting a lot of improvement, but it's never a sure thing.

Perhaps unlike the rest of the team, the OL got great coaching.

That's why last year's OL coach is now the OL coach for the Steelers. You can't use that as an excuse.

But as others have said, both guys seemed to improve as the season went on and looked very good for rookies near the end, which is to say a bit below average for NFL guards. The second year, though, is often a time when guys take a major leap upwards. If this happens, as it should, they should become real strengths on the OL. It's worth remembering, though, that it doesn't happen for everyone. Plenty of people stop improving, for whatever reason. We all need to watch, and that's why good observations like the OP's are worth noting.

I'm expecting a lot of improvement, but it's never a sure thing.

Yeah, I considered editing my original post and removing the "crappy coaching" remark because I too thought that the OL coach was decent. However, he's only one guy unfortunately and can't overrule the OC or the HC, so ultimately the entire team suffers for poor coaching in the top ranks despite having some decent position coaches.

Nick,

Love your sig! One of my favorites!

Sorry, I have nothing else to add to the thread, the sig really caught my eye. Don't see too many people touting it.

+1

That is a great sig.

Seems quite appropriate to direct that quote at Sully.

Everyone was under the assumption that Levitre was as good as Wood last year. From the game play that just wasn't the case. He is a rookie. Hopefully he'll get better but there are no guarantees in this game.

I was a bit suprised when everyone was shrugging off the idea of taking a guard in the draft just because "we've got two 'good' ones." We will see.

I posted the thoughts/analysis below in another thread... It strikes me that the Levitre stuff is new criticism and counter the argument that our OG's are beasts. Clearly at least one of them has a ways to go...

Our offensive guards are not "beasts". They were good looking rookies and are still learning. The issues you point out are an examples of it.

Levitre has played with how many tackles this summer? I would say at least 4.

It takes years for a line to jell. It takes years to develop a lineman. The notion that you can plug a #1 or #2 draft pick into the line up is not true. It happens out of necessity (free agency/ salary cap) not by choice.

Last year we had 5 new starters on the OL -- every single position was reworked from the year before. Add in all the injuries and a limited coaching staff and it is a miracle we won any games at all.

One of the biggest concerns about Levitre is if he plays more than 4 hours a doctor needs to be consulted

I thought he played in all 16 games last year? As a starter.

Our offensive guards are not "beasts". They were good looking rookies and are still learning. The issues you point out are an examples of it.

Levitre has played with how many tackles this summer? I would say at least 4.

It takes years for a line to jell. It takes years to develop a lineman. The notion that you can plug a #1 or #2 draft pick into the line up is not true. It happens out of necessity (free agency/ salary cap) not by choice.

Last year we had 5 new starters on the OL -- every single position was reworked from the year before. Add in all the injuries and a limited coaching staff and it is a miracle we won any games at all.

Levitre is very good imo. He is not, not ever will be a "brute." But, the kid is perfectly suited for the left side imo. He played LT in college and has great feet for pass protection. I liken him a bit to Steinbach (who we should have drafted instead of MaGahee).

This is not to say he is bad on running plays because he is not. If Levitre stays healthy, I have no doubt at all that he will remain a very solid guard for many years. Not John Hannah, but solid.