Foxsports sleeper pick for this year

Damian

Peter Schrager of Foxsports makes his annual sleeper pick to make the playoffs here:

Foxsports Sleeper Pick

First he blasts the Bills:

ELIMINATED RIGHT AWAY

Buffalo Bills: New coach, new GM, new 3-4 defensive scheme, no space-eating DT on the roster, three unproven QBs in midst of underwhelming preseasons, no noted pass rushers and a tough, tough schedule. … Need any more reasons? The Bills could very well be the worst team in the NFL this season.

Then he goes on to pick the Raiders as his sleeper pick to make the playoffs...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Schrager of Foxsports makes his annual sleeper pick to make the playoffs here:

Foxsports Sleeper Pick

ELIMINATED RIGHT AWAY

Buffalo Bills: New coach, new GM, new 3-4 defensive scheme, no space-eating DT on the roster, three unproven QBs in midst of underwhelming preseasons, no noted pass rushers and a tough, tough schedule. … Need any more reasons? The Bills could very well be the worst team in the NFL this season.

I stopped reading after...

The Browns finished '09 with four straight wins, made significant upgrades at QB

Where do these guys come up with this stuff?

Foxsports Sleeper Pick

ELIMINATED RIGHT AWAY

Instead of ripping the guy how about trying to state how he is wrong? Oh thats right, no one can because he is dead on.

If death was the penalty for being horrific prognosticators, weather"persons" and sportswriters would go the way of the dinosaur. Those are the only two professions where you can be so wrong, so often, and still retain your job.

Instead of ripping the guy how about trying to state how he is wrong? Oh thats right, no one can because he is dead on.

He has legitimate points, but some of those same legitimate points could be made in a positive way, and ARE made in a positive way about other teams.

For example, under "Worth Considering, but Not Happening", he writes about Jacksonville Jaguars:

"The Jags defense underwent an “Extreme Makeover: Defensive Line Edition” this offseason, getting rid of all of the old and bringing in a whole bunch of new.

The offensive line is still a question mark. I’m not certain Mike Thomas or Jarett Dillard are No. 2 receivers".

That could as fairly describe the Bills. The improvements on the Bills (real OC and QB coaching for the first time in years, Spiller, return of OL from injuries)

and their strengths (excellent secondary and special teams, talented RBs) could be acknowledged.

I wouldn't pick the Bills as a "sleeper", but the justification for picking them as the worst team in the NFL seems a little thin

Especially when he has this to say about a team that only won 1 more game than the Bills last year: The Miami Dolphins

"perennial playoff squads with rich history and tradition. All three should be very much in the thick of the playoff hunt this season" - really?

2007: 1-15, no playoffs

2008: 11-5, lost in the 1st game of the playoffs

2009: 7-9, 3rd in the division, no playoffs

Where do they GET this stuff?

He has legitimate points, but some of those same legitimate points could be made in a positive way, and ARE made in a positive way about other teams.

For example, under "Worth Considering, but Not Happening", he writes about Jacksonville Jaguars:

"The Jags defense underwent an “Extreme Makeover: Defensive Line Edition” this offseason, getting rid of all of the old and bringing in a whole bunch of new.

The offensive line is still a question mark. I’m not certain Mike Thomas or Jarett Dillard are No. 2 receivers".

That could as fairly describe the Bills. The improvements on the Bills (real OC and QB coaching for the first time in years, Spiller, return of OL from injuries)

and their strengths (excellent secondary and special teams, talented RBs) could be acknowledged.

I wouldn't pick the Bills as a "sleeper", but the justification for picking them as the worst team in the NFL seems a little thin

Especially when he has this to say about a team that only won 1 more game than the Bills last year: The Miami Dolphins

"perennial playoff squads with rich history and tradition. All three should be very much in the thick of the playoff hunt this season" - really?

2007: 1-15, no playoffs

2008: 11-5, lost in the 1st game of the playoffs

2009: 7-9, 3rd in the division, no playoffs

Where do they GET this stuff?

I wouldn't describe special teams as excellent from what I've seen in preseason. They were excellent under Bobby April.

I actually do look forward to a bit more of an offense this year thanks to Gailey, but the Bills are limited by their QB situation and an offensive line that is still very raw and very unproven.

Foxsports Sleeper Pick

ELIMINATED RIGHT AWAY

That makes me angry. So what they got a QB in FA I bet we finish better than the Raiders

That makes me angry. So what they got a QB in FA I bet we finish better than the Raiders

In addition to the quarterback addition, they get to play two weak divisions this season - the NFC West, and of course their own division the AFC West.

I'd take you up on that bet. How much?

First time I've ever agreed with this guy.

In addition to the quarterback addition, they get to play two weak divisions this season - the NFC West, and of course their own division the AFC West.

I'd take you up on that bet. How much?

Me too... the Bills' division is perhaps their biggest problem.

Foxsports Sleeper Pick

ELIMINATED RIGHT AWAY

This guy is a hack. Seriously, who the F is he? The Browns won 4 games to end the season last year? Is the QB who lead them to these wins even still with the team? The Browns have zero talent with the exception of Cribbs. A washed up, broken QB, and a rookie on the verge of being cut, No running game, receivers, defense and so on..Kansas City, Tampa, Denver, St Louis are all going to suck too. Whatever, The Bills may blow, but I think they play tough and beat people up-Punch em in the damn mouth football! Our secondary, Special teams and running attack will score points and win games for us. These doosh writers never look beyond our new coach, 3-4, and lack of line and QB...There are other factors that will help the team score, and win. The biggest might be NEW ATTITUDE!

These doosh writers never look beyond our new coach, 3-4, and lack of line and QB...There are other factors that will help the team score, and win. The biggest might be NEW ATTITUDE!

LOL - Aside from our retread coach, a new defensive scheme that we don't have the personnel to run properly, terrible offensive line, and nearly league-worst quarterback situation, we'll be GREAT!

Also, 'doosh'.

As an aside, it always cracks me up how people talk about weathermen always being wrong. Seems to me like they pretty much always peg the weather just about right. Which isn't bad for telling the future and all. Also, it's pretty much just computer modeling anyhow, not some guy with an Ouija board.