Sully is at it again but I find it hard to argue this time.

I can't stand Sullivan and in fact don't read the guy, just get subjected occasionally to his anger on the radio. He's obviously an angry, self-loathing individual. No one can be that argumentative and spiteful over something as meaningless as football unless he's wracked with his own issues, and that is definitely the case with this guy. I've said it before on this board, he's a columnist in a newspaper that doesn't rank in the top 50 in the country for readership and is in a one newspaper town. That should tell you all you need to know about his skills and ability. If he was good, he;d be somewhere else, not toiling in obscurity.

All that beind said, if he says our LBs suck, I'll take his back here. Poz is overrated and the rest as miscast and castoffs. Look, a LB is someone who makes an impact the first day he steps on the field. It's not a position where you need to grow and learn in the NFL. You have it or you don't. Great ones are impact players immediately. We don't have one. You can't look at them singularly as a group. They have to be measured in context with the rest of the NFl, both as a group and as individuals and both ways, they don't stack up. I see it as a weakness, not an asset.

Your opinion on the Bills LBers is your opinion, I don't have an issue with that.

Stating that great LBers make an impact from day one is just incorrect. There's a laundry list of former and current NFL LB's that barely touched the field their first season, let alone become an impact guy.

For every Patrick Willis, there's a Bart Scott. For every Lawrence Taylor, there's a Greg Lloyd.

There's always room for discovery and improvement.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills LBs were no better last year so what's his point? We can't draft 50 players. We signed two FA LBs. You can't overhaul every position in one year. Sometimes you have to hope the players you have can be coached up.

PTR

Yeah really. What's next, calling for them to tear down The Ralph because he found a couple pubes on the urinal?

OK I just read the whole article, what did he say that was inaccurate? He was spot on with every point. Stop being so sensitive, this is footaball we're talking about right? He's too synical, a troll, not tactful enough-BS! If you don't like his opinions , don't read his stuff. I cannot argue with one thing he said, he's right IMO.

The pleasure of reading his stuff is getting to call him a dick for saying it. It's not that he's necessarily wrong, but could he maybe find something positive to write about once in a while? Besides, if we're talking about him, it means he's getting read which is ultimately what his goal as a writer is. We're helping him.

Andra Davis was VERY good last year on the Broncos, one of the very best run stuffers up the middle in the entire league, which is our single biggest problem on defense. No one knows how he is going to play this year, on the Bills, with different players in front of and beside him. If he is as good as last year, our LBs will not suck. If he's significantly worse, we may suck. To just blow off Davis as a cast-off is not right, IMO.

Yeah me neither. I never heard him single out the lb's last year and he even goes out of the way to say there're much improved. I actually agree with most of what Sully says, however unpopular he is. Sometimes I think he lacks the tact to make a point without sounding like a total moron. Its the "Skip Bayless Effect." You might be right, but everyone thinks your an ass because of the way you tell it.

Great point!

Normally, I don't watch NFL preseason games unless the Bills are involved. It's amazing to think Americans are desperate enough for entertainment to justify airing these fraudulent competitions on national TV.

Not to mention full price tickets and parking at the stadiums.

It's not a matter of opinion -- it's pretty plain to see to anyone willing to look beyond their homer glasses that this LB corps is one of, if not THE worst LB Corps in the league. They're either undersized "fast" guys (read: Ellison), playing out of position (read: Kelsay, Mitchell), green (read: Moats), on the downside of their career (read: Davis), or vastly overrated (read: Poz).

Outside of OT and QB, LB is one of the shallowest, and most problematic units on the team.

The Bills LBs were no better last year so what's his point? We can't draft 50 players. We signed two FA LBs. You can't overhaul every position in one year. Sometimes you have to hope the players you have can be coached up.

PTR

You can't overhaul every position in one year, but it would have been nice if they overhauled something.

You are wrong for misquoting Sully. He never said that the Bills had the worst LB's. He said they "might" have the worst LB corps. There is a big difference because he goes on to say all the reasons they "might" be horrible. Be objective, remove the love for our Bills and read the article as a knowledgable football fan. IMO Sullivan is right on all points, he "might" be wrong and I hope he is but I have to agree with him on this one.

LBs are a very overrated part of the defense anyways. They are dependent on the defensive line in front of them. Pitt also let's theirs LBs walk when they get too pricey. Yet, the lock up players like Aaron Smith & Casey Hampton.

How Williams, Edwards, Troup, & Stroud play will have a huge effect on our LBs.

LBs are a very overrated part of the defense anyways. They are dependent on the defensive line in front of them. Pitt also let's theirs LBs walk when they get too pricey. Yet, the lock up players like Aaron Smith & Casey Hampton.

How Williams, Edwards, Troup, & Stroud play will have a huge effect on our LBs.

I find it the first paragraph of your post combined with your handle to be rather ironic

I'm a big Sullivan fan, he's a great writer. But, I must take him to task on this "But Ralph Wilson was heavily involved in that draft (the first post-Tom Donahoe) and wanted a running back."

That's just simply factually incorrect. 2006 was the first draft post Tom Donahoe. Nit picky, but that seems like an obvious oversight, his editor should have caught that too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions as to who they like to consume or not. However, Sully without regard to whether you like the phrases he uses is pretty much a waste of time as someone who is fortunate to be paid to watch and comment on sports.

From my standpoint as someone who can choose to spend my dollar on a newspaper, one thing I am looking for is the learned opinion of someone who is paid to be a student of the game. I will pay to read a writer who watches a bunch of pre-season games that are not really all that entertaining to me to get their analysis of the rest of the league because even though I am a Bills addict you would have to pay me to watch the rest of the league's pre-season games.

Sully strikes me as a waste of the fact the Buff Snooze pays him to if he wants be an actual student of the game. Instead he offers up the same virtually fact-free opinions based on his review of team stats (and likely a cursory review by him given the obvious "I am better than others who watch pre-season" views he expresses.

Its amazing to me that he flat outs admits he does not watch the other teams and then throws out his virtually fact free opinion that the Bills have the weakest LB crew in football. I can get the same level of research free opinion at the local bar and its even free to get it.

He really is a waste of a paycheck since I really wish the news paid someone who actually spent some time studying and learning about the rest of the league before he offers a broadbrush opinion.

Sully is a waste of a paycheck and is one of the reasons why I cancelled my subscription to the Buffalo News. He is paid to cover the most important sports franchise in Buffalo and simply flat out refuses to add value beyond what I can get for free from my neighbors.

Those rankings might as well be in a Fantasy Football Magazine. Football is about team, not individuals. The Pats didn;t have the msot talent at every position when they were winning championships and look how that turned out. Anything to make the Bills look foolish. We don't need someone else to tell us how bad out players are! We can do that ourselves!!! :wallbash: