Left Tackle with our First Pick next year

Nasty

I still think in next years draft we should draft a tackle with our first pick no matter where it is. Then draft Jerrod Johnson QB Texas A&M with our second pick. This guy is a beast and we wouldn't have to pay much for him.

I still think in next years draft we should draft a tackle with our first pick no matter where it is. Then draft Jerrod Johnson QB Texas A&M with our second pick. This guy is a beast and we wouldn't have to pay much for him.

For me, it is too early to start thinking about who we are going to draft next year. Right now, I want to enjoy or try to enjoy this season.

If there is still a question at QB at the end of this year and they don't pick one in the 1st round next year - that's it. Either grab one with a top 5pick or trade up to get the guy you want. The QB search needs to finally end once and for all....

Why would you think that the QB search will end if we picked a QB in the top five in next years draft....It is not like we have not been searching for one....We paid a 1st for Drew Bledsoe, We paid a next years 1st round for JP Losman. We invested in a 3rd round to get Craig Nall and another 3rd round on Edwards....The common theme amongst all these failures was a CONSTANT CHANGE TO THE OFFENSIVE Philosophy.....Edwards is entering his 4th season and will be having his 3rd OC (in the span of 14 months to boot). Losman came into the league and had 3 different OCs. Even Mike Williams the 4th overall pick had 4 different OL coach during his tenure here... The good teams do not see such turnovers in their coaching staff...It just does not let players develop.

I am hoping Edwards and Brohm are here for the long haul and hopefully the Bills can address other areas.

If there is still a question at QB at the end of this year and they don't pick one in the 1st round next year - that's it. Either grab one with a top 5pick or trade up to get the guy you want. The QB search needs to finally end once and for all....

I think most of us understand what you're saying. But say we are pick 9-12 next year, we would have to give the following years first round pick in addition to possibly a second or third round pick. I just don't think it's worth the risk to mortgage the future like that. History doesn't prove it to work either. It's best to stay put and evaluate the players the best you can.

Why would you think that the QB search will end if we picked a QB in the top five in next years draft....It is not like we have not been searching for one....We paid a 1st for Drew Bledsoe, We paid a next years 1st round for JP Losman. We invested in a 3rd round to get Craig Nall and another 3rd round on Edwards....The common theme amongst all these failures was a CONSTANT CHANGE TO THE OFFENSIVE Philosophy.....Edwards is entering his 4th season and will be having his 3rd OC (in the span of 14 months to boot). Losman came into the league and had 3 different OCs. Even Mike Williams the 4th overall pick had 4 different OL coach during his tenure here... The good teams do not see such turnovers in their coaching staff...It just does not let players develop.

I am hoping Edwards and Brohm are here for the long haul and hopefully the Bills can address other areas.

Remember though, losman was the 4th qb off the board. im not a fan of taking the 4th anything off the board that early. I know some situations justify it but in general.... no. especially at qb.

and i like losman, but way to early for a player like him. im sure the first round pressure didnt help him as a project qb. comparing that selection to a top 5 pick is hardly fair.

Hello all, I been reading this board for a long time. Been a Bills fan since I was in my teens in the late 1980's. I finally broke down and created an account on here an am very excited to join the ranks of guys I been reading post on here about, Like Skooby...LOL...I see a lot of Skooby bashing on here over the years..Anyway I just wanted to pat myself on the back..

Ok - So here is my first post - regarding drafting a LT. If were going to draft a QB next year I think it would be smarter to protect him with a veteran LT not a rookie. If Trent does well then maybe draft a LT first then a QB to groom, but if he does not do well, then a QB first and a veteran free agent LT to protect him and not a second tier one..It just all depends on how the season goes, it's too early to say what we should do next year, who knows maybe Bell is the next Pro Bowl LT, lets give everyone a fair chance this year and evaluate the players after the season...!

Who are we drafting in 2012?

PTR

Assuming TE starts, I think he has to throw for 3500 yards, 10 more TDs than INTs, complete more than 64% of his passes, start and finish at least 14 games, and have the team in the playoff hunt down to the wire for the FO to not draft a QB in the first round. Brohm would have to show a lot of promise and play a lot, but unless he puts up those numbers as well, I doubt they don't take a QB next year.

It's hard for me to see any scenario in which a new QB is not drafted other than TE blowing up like no one could guess or anticipate.

I like Jerrod a lot but let's give Bell one more season. He may surprise.

But even if Luck doesn't come out, I like the qbs in this upcoming draft a million times more than this years.

Quarterback first

I like your mindset, but lets and see what is there at left tackle. There was a particularly good crop this year. Hopefully we'll be picking from the bottom third of the first round and have to be even more judicious than usual in making our choice.

Did it dawn on anybody that D. Bell might actually play well and we won't need to draft a LT? That's what we all should be hoping for so the team

can concentrate on other positions like OLB.

No the common theme was the QB's had no talent, our scouting dept stinks. Consistency helps but you first have to be talented. I would love us to take a QB with our first pick and get a top 2 if they're worth it. Problem is I have little faith that the Bills wouldn't screw it up and take Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.

There are things to consider in that scenario - it sounds like the poster really just likes the Texas QB. I read awhile back an article that listed all the offensive linemen becoming free agents next year. We can walk away from next year's F.A. with any of our line problems fixed without having to rely on the draft. That, by the way, is a strategy I'd like to see employed. That way you know what you're getting, and you can assemble a sound line that has the ability to function well for years to come - and then the QB play cannot be blamed on poor blocking. So, I say draft a QB, and trade up to get the best one available, and then our QB problems should be fixed for the next decade. You look at the best teams in the NFL - teams like Indy, N.E., Saints, San Diego, Baltimore, Vikings, Green Bay - they all have the franchise QB. It's just something we need to have - not a mediocre one like we've had for the last ten years, but the best one available, one we can build around.

We can fix this offense and make it a powerhouse in one more offseason if the F.O. wants it badly enough. QB - first round. LT and or G/C - F.A.. And find the missing type of WR and TE in the draft and F.A. It can be done, and should be. I really believe we should have just about all our team holes filled after next offseason, so if they were to merely focus on one side of the ball, there should be no excuses for not seeing a great unit either on offense or defense by the end of 2011.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Frankly, I hope to see this guy named Bell playing for the Bills at left tackle.

I understand that he has the size, the atheltic skills, and the football smarts to be a really good left tackle given the real game experience thay any young player needs. In fact, this guy Bell has been analyzed by two professional coaching staffs which are completely oppositive from each other in terms of philosophy and both think this kid Bell is something special.

If we are lucky enough to get a player with the size, athletic ability, and football smarts it will be worth investing a year or two of his youthful errors so that we can have a strong LT for a long time.

To the OP - how can you say this without knowing how Bell will perform this year?

Even if Bell's play is decent this year, we still haven't any depth at Tackle, and we also will have an aging, mediocre RT to replace come season's end. I believe a Tackle will still be a high priority draft or trade.