Robert F. Kennedy Community School in L.A.

EndZoneCrew

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2010/08/22/o-m-g-price-tag-one-new-la-k-12-complex-578-mil

The Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools in Los Angeles, apparently opening soon, will serve roughly 4,200 students in grades K-12. Its cost is coming in at $578 million, or almost $140,000 per student ($2.75 million per 20-student classroom)

wow.....California has the money to burn on something like this????

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2010/08/22/o-m-g-price-tag-one-new-la-k-12-complex-578-mil

wow.....California has the money to burn on something like this????

The Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools in Los Angeles, apparently opening soon, will serve roughly 4,200 students in grades K-12. Its cost is coming in at $578 million, or almost $140,000 per student ($2.75 million per 20-student classroom)

That would be true, and outrageous, if the school was only going to operate for one year.

Why does RFK deserve to be memorialized by a school in LA? Because he was shot there? Christ can we name more things after the Kennedy's?

I don't know.He seemed like a pretty cool dude from what I've been told and can remember of him.

Why does RFK deserve to be memorialized by a school in LA? Because he was shot there? Christ can we name more things after the Kennedy's?

It's on the site of the Ambassador Hotel where he was shot. But to the point of the cost we all know spending more money on a building really increases the quality of the education, especially in that part of town. <_<

That would be true, and outrageous, if the school was only going to operate for one year.

My question is will the bonds be paid off before the BOE is asking for a more modern building that will better suit the needs of the kids?

My guess is no.

I don't get what's wrong with spending money on education. Educating can eliminate a lot of societal problems.

It's on the site of the Ambassador Hotel where he was shot. But to the point of the cost we all know spending more money on a building really increases the quality of the education, especially in that part of town. <_<

That's the attitude!!! Screw every inner city school. Every cent of educational money should go to Beverely Hills and Amherst.

I don't get what's wrong with spending money on education. Educating can eliminate a lot of societal problems.

That's the attitude!!! Screw every inner city school. Every cent of educational money should go to Beverely Hills and Amherst.

Glad to see you got my point. Do you really think building a school that cost half a billion is going to improve the drop out rates? Since when is building a school of that cost spending money on education?

I do not know much about...anything? But, from my knowledge of nothing I do know that the Kennedy's are bigots. That RFK was probably the worst of them and JFK was a huge hippy dousche. That being said, the most feeble of them lived on, Ted, and saw success based on his name. This all scares me because will Obama be remembered the same way? Someone who promised everything and ... nothing. Either way, it is just scary. In 50 years can we name a school after John Edwards?

I do not know much about...anything? But, from my knowledge of nothing I do know that the Kennedy's are bigots. That RFK was probably the worst of them and JFK was a huge hippy dousche. That being said, the most feeble of them lived on, Ted, and saw success based on his name. This all scares me because will Obama be remembered the same way? Someone who promised everything and ... nothing. Either way, it is just scary. In 50 years can we name a school after John Edwards?

How do you know this? And it's spelled "hippie douche".

Edited by Andrew in LA

My question is will the bonds be paid off before the BOE is asking for a more modern building that will better suit the needs of the kids?

My guess is no.

I give that place 5 years before it's a total sh--hole. It's the same story, repeated.

A high school in Lynn, Mass., last night had every window smashed and every room get trashed. Tell me this won't happen in LA.

And the tax-and-spend crowd will never figure it out because they're too busy coming up with excuses for why kids are failing. It's not the lack of a "beautiful learning environment," it's not b/c the auditorium isn't themed like the "Cocoanut Club." It's parents who treat schools like free daycare, lack of expectations, lack of enforced repercussions when they fail.

This was for 4,000 students. Even allowing for some splurges, anything beyond $200M was a waste of good money.

Edited by UConn James

Gee, how many years before the payback isn't outrageous? Don't forget to add in what it'll cost to O&M something that costs nearly $600,000,000.00. The accepted national figure is between 7-10% annually.

Wasn't McKinley a actual president?

Yeah, he was - so how many streets and schools you guys got named after him in Anchorage? Of course the reason the new school is named after RFK is because it's on the very site where he was murdered. The only other public facility I can think of that bears his name is RFK Stadium, which was renamed in 1969 after the assassination.

(BTW, we name plenty of things after prominent senators and others of significant achievement in this country - not just presidents - but you already know that.)

Gee, how many years before the payback isn't outrageous? Don't forget to add in what it'll cost to O&M something that costs nearly $600,000,000.00. The accepted national figure is between 7-10% annually.

My response was to the ridiculous claim that the price tag amounts to "$140,000 per student". That would only be true if it was only open for one year. Crazy attacks like that don't exactly help the discussion, as they are designed to simply cause outrage.

Is it the price outrageous? Seems to be, but I don't know enough about the entire effort. Surely it didn't cost "$140,000 per student".

My response was to the ridiculous claim that the price tag amounts to "$140,000 per student". That would only be true if it was only open for one year. Crazy attacks like that don't exactly help the discussion, as they are designed to simply cause outrage.

Is it the price outrageous? Seems to be, but I don't know enough about the entire effort. Surely it didn't cost "$140,000 per student".

I understand where you're coming from, but if you were to treat it from an "investment" standpoint it's still an absurd amount per student. Looking at the cost/return, if I were to bring a similar proposal to the table I'd be laughed out of the room.