Questions and tips about the new board...

SDS

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to the Shoutbox...

I will most likely add an integrated chat room that logs you in just like the board does. That would make the shoutbox sort of superfluous, although I could be convinced to retain it if presented with a rational argument.

The shoutbox is a nice addition in that it presents a conversational aspect to the board that one can casually glance at and participate in without going out of the way or joining a focused discussion. It's also fosters a sense of community.

Plus it broadens the functionality of the board, I mean, where else are we to discuss the virtues and short-comings of DMB? Is it childish? Maybe. Entertaining? Absolutely.

It is also one of the aspects sets this board apart from other Bills message boards. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Sorry dude. You are SOL. I sympathize with you, but IE6 is a 9 year old, horrendously flawed browser that has terrorized web designers for years. I suggest finding a site you need for work that doesn't work and start bitching about it.

Although, I have heard IT depts keeping IE6 specifically because it DOES break websites.

Well, that sucks or those of us who work in environments where they refuse to upgrade or allow alternate browsers.

Edit: Will the lo-fi version work in IE6?

Edited by Joe In Macungie

Well, that sucks or those of us who work in environments where they refuse to upgrade or allow alternate browsers.

Edit: Will the lo-fi version work in IE6?

I know, but we held on to the old, unsupported version for what - 4 years? We were a target waiting to be hacked. 9 years later - we have to move on at some point. The phone version works great in case you haven't tried it. I also can look for an IE6 friendly skin that I could install (but not customize).

I know, but we held on to the old, unsupported version for what - 4 years? We were a target waiting to be hacked. 9 years later - we have to move on at some point. The phone version works great in case you haven't tried it. I also can look for an IE6 friendly skin that I could install (but not customize).

What exactly is the issue in IE 6? Can you read but not respond? I don't have 6 here at home, so I can't see the potential issues.

What exactly is the issue in IE 6? Can you read but not respond? I don't have 6 here at home, so I can't see the potential issues.

I think so.

The problem is that no one wants to skin for IE6 because MS totally screwed with all the web standards thinking they would just make their own standards. In the end, designers always had to make multiple stylesheets. One for IE6 and one for the rest. It's just the way IE6 renders the code. It breaks things.

I think so.

The problem is that no one wants to skin for IE6 because MS totally screwed with all the web standards thinking they would just make their own standards. In the end, designers always had to make multiple stylesheets. One for IE6 and one for the rest. It's just the way IE6 renders the code. It breaks things.

it's a shame because a LOT of corporate environments refuse to move from that platform because there are a scad of applications designed to run on it.

it's a shame because a LOT of corporate environments refuse to move from that platform because there are a scad of applications designed to run on it.

That is exactly why MS did what they did. Produce dirty code and push it out "free" to the masses and force everyone to adopt their dirty code base. Thankfully, FF came along and forced everyone including MS to get on the standards bandwagon, so we can finally write once - view anywhere (for the most part).

Love the new look, but one small problem I have noticed so far.

Every time you go to the next page in a thread, the shoutbox reappears for a second, before going back to minimized. Not a huge deal, but it does get a little annoying having to wait every time you load a new page.

Before if it was minimized, it would stay that way. Any way to change that back?

I'd love to kill the Gallery images at the top of the forum home page w/o resorting to Adblock or a custom stylesheet. Any opportunity for this? Personally I just don't think they belong in such a prominent position...pushing the forum links so far down the page that I almost need to scroll just to get to the main forum.

Love the new look, but one small problem I have noticed so far.

Every time you go to the next page in a thread, the shoutbox reappears for a second, before going back to minimized. Not a huge deal, but it does get a little annoying having to wait every time you load a new page.

Before if it was minimized, it would stay that way. Any way to change that back?

you can also change it so the shoutbox is a tab on the menu bar by opening the box and clicking on the preference button. that removes the shoutbox from the top of the board.

Yep. :devil: 'cause that's how I roll.

I got away from it for years (of course), but when they came out with final release -version 9. I switched back briefly, because my first web browser was Netscape 0.9b. Then I said, WTH, let's just keep using it. Almost 2years later... it's still rockin strong. Altough I switch to Firefox more frequently.

I still use Netscape as my email client. I probably should do something about that, but then I'd lose all my old emails!

You guys may want to check out the Seamonkey project. It's a continuation of the Netscape/Mozilla all-in-one browser.

linky