The one scenario that might just happen

Here's the Bills dilemma. Let's assume Trent makes it through preseason & is named the starter.

If Brohm shows potential, they can't cut him. If they want an experienced backup QB, they can't cut Fitzpatrick. If they think Levi Brown has potential and are afraid of losing him on waivers, they can't cut Brown. So, thinking outside the box, there may be only one solution-keep all 4 QBs. Clearly Brown isn't ready, but with 3 QBs he's #3. Brohm is too unproven to be the primary backup to an injury prone starter, but he fits the perfect profile of a 3rd stringer-a guy who you can continue to bring along slowly without risking your chances of winning if #1 goes down. I know a lot of you don't like him, but Fitzpatrick is a bonafide veteran backup who has proven he can put up Ws. If you're thinking long term, you need him to back up any inexperienced QB-a likely case in 2011. Plus, Fitzpatrick is the only QB other than Brown under contract for 2011. Brown may be too raw to even be #3, but he might just have too much potential to risk waiving.

This is hardly unprecidented. Last year the Jets carried 4 QBs through most of the season. In 2000 there was a team that saw too much in a late round QB to risk waiving him. They kept 4 QBs that season & won the Super Bowl with that 4th QB the next season.

Has Levi Brown shown so much that he'd be picked up by another team if the Bills put him on the PS? I'm not saying he hasn't, because heaven knows there are far more observant people out there than myself.

I guess I don't understand the angst.

Here's the Bills dilemma. Let's assume Trent makes it through preseason & is named the starter.

If Brohm shows potential, they can't cut him. If they want an experienced backup QB, they can't cut Fitzpatrick. If they think Levi Brown has potential and are afraid of losing him on waivers, they can't cut Brown. So, thinking outside the box, there may be only one solution-keep all 4 QBs. Clearly Brown isn't ready, but with 3 QBs he's #3. Brohm is too unproven to be the primary backup to an injury prone starter, but he fits the perfect profile of a 3rd stringer-a guy who you can continue to bring along slowly without risking your chances of winning if #1 goes down. I know a lot of you don't like him, but Fitzpatrick is a bonafide veteran backup who has proven he can put up Ws. If you're thinking long term, you need him to back up any inexperienced QB-a likely case in 2011. Plus, Fitzpatrick is the only QB other than Brown under contract for 2011. Brown may be too raw to even be #3, but he might just have too much potential to risk waiving.

This is hardly unprecidented. Last year the Jets carried 4 QBs through most of the season. In 2000 there was a team that saw too much in a late round QB to risk waiving him. They kept 4 QBs that season & won the Super Bowl with that 4th QB the next season.

Don't think there is any chance of that whatsoever. If they really think Brohm is a decent player and could be a starter in this league, there is no reason to keep Fitz anymore. If Trent goes down, Brohm is their man. It's POSSIBLE I guess that they would cut Levi Brown and have a deal already made with him that he will be on the PS and if anyone picks him up they will match any offer and then be forced to cut either Brohm or Fitz, but I really don't see that happening. Brohm is just going to have to show he is better than Fitzpatrick right now, and he may be able to do it.

There are other reasons why they can't keep four QBs, too: Roster spots. There is a tough position at TE because of the Nelson suspension and Shouman injury. They may have to keep four TEs until Nelson gets back. They are in a really tough position with Joique Bell and likely will keep four RB when they probably were planning on 3. They are in a really tough position at WR with no clear #2 and the injuries to Hardy, Easley and Nelson, along with the emergence of Chad Jackson. I could easily see them wanting to keep 6 WRs, at least for awhile. They have a tough cut at safety and CB too. There is no chance they keep four QBs.

Sorry, I just don't think the rest of the league has a woody for Brown like many of you think. If Brohm, a former highly touted 2nd round draft pick, could clear waivers and land on GB's practice squad, I don't think any other team is waiting to add Levi to their roster. He's a 7th round pick that hasn't exactly lit the NFL world on fire. No other team would replace any of their active roster players, with a project QB.

Has Levi Brown shown so much that he'd be picked up by another team if the Bills put him on the PS? I'm not saying he hasn't, because heaven knows there are far more observant people out there than myself.

I guess I don't understand the angst.

In past years guys like Matt Moore (UFA), Derek Anderson (6th Rd), and Tyler Thigpen( 7th Rd) were claimed off waivers as rookies. If the Bills think he has any potential and are afraid of losing him, they won't waive him. Teams are always looking for that QB with potential who someone else might be trying to sneak onto a practice squad.

Don't think there is any chance of that whatsoever. If they really think Brohm is a decent player and could be a starter in this league, there is no reason to keep Fitz anymore. If Trent goes down, Brohm is their man. It's POSSIBLE I guess that they would cut Levi Brown and have a deal already made with him that he will be on the PS and if anyone picks him up they will match any offer and then be forced to cut either Brohm or Fitz, but I really don't see that happening. Brohm is just going to have to show he is better than Fitzpatrick right now, and he may be able to do it.

There are other reasons why they can't keep four QBs, too: Roster spots. There is a tough position at TE because of the Nelson suspension and Shouman injury. They may have to keep four TEs until Nelson gets back. They are in a really tough position with Joique Bell and likely will keep four RB when they probably were planning on 3. They are in a really tough position at WR with no clear #2 and the injuries to Hardy, Easley and Nelson, along with the emergence of Chad Jackson. I could easily see them wanting to keep 6 WRs, at least for awhile. They have a tough cut at safety and CB too. There is no chance they keep four QBs.

If a team claims Brown, there is no side deal-the Bills lose him without any recourse. They may see some potential in Brohm but feel he's not ready to step into the starting role this year. If that's the case he has to be #3, because Trent is odds on to miss games with his injury history. Fitzpatrick can win, Brohm has not won a game yet & a smart head coach doesn't go into the season with that unproven a #2 unless his starter has proven great durability, like a Manning. We're not cutting Fitzpatrick, so Brohm's best shot of sticking is being #3, with or without a 4th stringer.

If the coaches feel that Brown is the guy they thought he was when they drafted him, he will stick and we will lose Fitz or Brohm. If they feel he is just some guy then he'll be placed on the practice squad. I havent heard alot about him one way or the other and I suspect he really hasnt been getting alot of reps which seems to be a telling fact.

In yesterday's interview with the media, Coach Gailey seems to suggest that he would be open to keeping all three veteran signal callers.

"Is there room for both Fitzpatrick and Brohm on the final roster? Yeah there is. You keep three and that's two so yeah, there is."

It's at the very end of this interview.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Chan-Gailey-Saturday-Update/63731278-dbd9-4a66-b55c-b0d4846a35ed

I thought that possibility was highly unlikely even two days ago. I think it is very probable that he keeps all three vets now. Some coaches like Gruden collect QBs. Chan may feel that he wants to keep all his options open until someone is firmly established.

Even if they cut Levi Brown, there's a better than 50% chance that he'll pass through waivers and still land on our practice squad. He's shown almost nothing in the games so far so other teams would presumably not have much motivation to sign him.

I'm now predicting that the Bills will keep Trent, Fitzy, and Brohm…at least for the start of the regular season.

In yesterday's interview with the media, Coach Gailey seems to suggest that he would be open to keeping all three veteran signal callers.

"Is there room for both Fitzpatrick and Brohm on the final roster? Yeah there is. You keep three and that's two so yeah, there is."

http://www.buffalobi...5c-b0d4846a35ed

I thought that possibility was highly unlikely even two days ago. I think it is very probable that he keeps all three vets now. Some coaches like Gruden collect QBs. Chan may feel that he wants to keep all his options open until someone is firmly established.

Even if they cut Levi Brown, there's a better than 50% chance that he'll pass through waivers and still land on our practice squad. He's shown almost nothing in the games so far so other teams would presumably not have much motivation to sign him.

I'm now predicting that the Bills will keep Trent, Fitzy, and Brohm…at least for the start of the regular season.

I don't think anyone should take anything whatsoever out of that comment from Gailey. What else could he possibly say? He doesn't at ALL want to make Levi Brown automatically think he made the team. He doesn't at all want to make Trent feel like he's automatically the starter and the competition is over. He doesn't know right now because of possible injuries and how these guys will play in the next two games who is going to make the squad. I don't think there is anything else he could have said to that question. It doesn't at all, however, mean there is a good chance both will stay.

Okay. I've made my prediction and you've kind of made yours. We'll see.

I actually think for the first time that Fitz may be cut and Brohm will stay as back-up (where before I thought whoever wasnt the starter between Trent and Brohm would be cut or traded). I also now think it's possible they will try to sneak Levi on the PS. I am not making any prediction on what is going to happen. I don't think Gailey himself knows at all who he is going to keep and the next two games are going to determine a lot.

All I said and meant from the post is that Gailey's comment could have been said at any time and didn't change his outlook or the situation one bit, and didn't at all IMO mean anything.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I think Fitz is the odd man out here. He's the biggest salary cap hit and has the least amount of potential IMO.

Salary cap hit would usually be an issue...not sure if it really factors in this year. Seems too dangerous to start a season w just TE and Brohm. (not that starting a season WITH te/bb/fitz seems particularly safe)

I think Levi Brown just goes to the PS. It's early, but you see a lot of late round QB picks go to the PS that have shown a lot more in preseason than Brown has. Thing is...7th round QB draft picks don't have much of a success record in the NFL. If another team thought that highly of Brown they had 6 rounds to take him in the draft. I'm not knocking Brown here, just saying it's pretty rare a team is salivating at the potential release of a 7th round QB. Or any 7th round pick for that matter.

If they think Levi Brown has potential and are afraid of losing him on waivers, they can't cut Brown. So, thinking outside the box, there may be only one solution-keep all 4 QBs.

I don't think they are worried about losing brown to waivers -- I want the kid to do well, but he didn't do anything spectacular in the one preseason game. I think if anyone goes it will be Fitz (assuming both he and Brohm are considered a toss up) because of his salary cap number. In the end - I think we keep 3 all three QB's and place Brown on the PS -- really don't think anyone else will pick him up.

Can somebody tell me what Levi has done to warrant getting picked up if we PS him? He's 5-for-12 for 38 yards, no TD's and one pick. There is nearly 100% chance he gets put on the PS this year. With that happening, we probably keep the guys we have now, no sense in cutting them. Fitz's salary, although higher than normal for a backup maybe, isn't exactly breaking the bank.

Edited by Leonidas

One thing to take into consideration is that IF they do keep 4 QBs, that is a SIGNIFICANT vote of non-confidence in their starting QB.

Considering the teams reluctance to bring in veteran "stop gap" players at other positions (thinking OL in particular), I would think that if indeed, Fitz is thought of as the 3rd best QB AND that it's viewed that both Brown & Brohm have potential, then Fitz is gone. (That is assuming that Edwards is viewed as the starter.)

Further keeping 4 QBs would hamper the development of the "other 2"; there's only so many practice reps to go around.

Not saying it's impossible, but it would be a dubious at best move IMO.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Chan-Gailey-Saturday-Update/63731278-dbd9-4a66-b55c-b0d4846a35ed

That statement tell me a lot. I've always believed that there is no way Fitzpatrick gets cut, because he's the perfect #2 QB. What it says to me is that the 3rd spot, reserved for the unproven developmental guy will go to Brohm. What that means is that in Chan's mind, Brohm has more potential than Levi Brown (not terribly surprising given Brown was a 7th rounder). So you keep Fitzpatrick, the guy you can trust to come in games, and you keep developing Brohm, hoping he can develop & iron out those accuracy problems. If Chan feels Brohm has a better future than Brown, it doesn't matter if Brown gets claimed off waivers, and if he doesn't get claimed, why even bother putting him on the practice squad. Just let him go & continue to use the development time on Brohm.

Not to be too "lawyerly," but Gailey merely stated the obvious. He's keeping three QBs so, of course, Fitz and Brohm could make the team. Which doesn't mean they will. A better question would have been, "You have three QB slots so will you keep TE, Fitz and Brohm?"

That statement tell me a lot. I've always believed that there is no way Fitzpatrick gets cut, because he's the perfect #2 QB. What it says to me is that the 3rd spot, reserved for the unproven developmental guy will go to Brohm. What that means is that in Chan's mind, Brohm has more potential than Levi Brown (not terribly surprising given Brown was a 7th rounder). So you keep Fitzpatrick, the guy you can trust to come in games, and you keep developing Brohm, hoping he can develop & iron out those accuracy problems. If Chan feels Brohm has a better future than Brown, it doesn't matter if Brown gets claimed off waivers, and if he doesn't get claimed, why even bother putting him on the practice squad. Just let him go & continue to use the development time on Brohm.

I'm not sure I agree that Fitz is the perfect back-up for this team. For a team with an established starter, then yes, he is the perfect back up. Because unless there is an unforeseen injury to the starter, Fitz would likely only play in 1, maybe 2 games at most during the course of a season. And if the starter gets knocked out for a quarter or two, Fitz is smart enough to step in and handle the load.

But, for a team like the Bills, where there is a very strong chance that our starter gets injured or underpeforms, what good is Fitz? The guy does not have much upside, he is expensive (3 million a year) and there is a good chance a backup QB will get a lot of snaps throughout the season. With the Bills in rebuilding mode, what good does giving snaps to someone like Fitzpatrick do you? It is not as though Brohm is incapable of stepping in for a start. It is not a steep drop off from Fitz to Brohm and at least we can see what Brohm can do. I'm not on the Brohm bandwagon or anything, but after watching both he and Fitz play, there is not enough of a discernible difference between the two that suggests the Bills MUST keep Fitz. In fact, Brohm has been far more impressive to me than Fitz. I might be seduced by the belief that he has a ton of unrealized upside; but either way, I don't get the point of keeping 4 QBs when our roster lacks depth in several key areas. If the choice is between keeping 4 QBs and keeping an extra WR or LB (Coleman), I can't imagine why the team would keep an extra QB.

That being said, the scenario w/ Brown seems pretty accurate, in that he likely won't be scooped up on waivers. And he hasn't done much as a 4th stringer.

Edited by Union2008

That statement tell me a lot. I've always believed that there is no way Fitzpatrick gets cut, because he's the perfect #2 QB. What it says to me is that the 3rd spot, reserved for the unproven developmental guy will go to Brohm.

You don't think that a week ago, a month ago, two months, three months ago, Gailey wouldn't have said the EXACT same thing to that question of is there was room for both quarterbacks? Of course he would have. It's the only answer possible. He's not going to say no, there is not room. He's not going to say one has to beat the other out or is gone. He's not going to say ANYTHING about Trent or Levi. He's going to say exactly what he did, that of course there is room for both QBs on the roster. It means zero.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

i think the chances of edwards getting hurt are very high. i think they keep three, brown to the practice squad, then to the active roster by week 2 r three, can just feel that injury coming. but who knows, sometimes cut day is wild, maybe buddy will surprise us. maybe they dont like any of them. but not many QB'S out there really. maybe they trade for troy brown, nothing in stone, as i see it.

Edited by dwight in philly

There is no upside to keeping Fitz. We know what his limitations are. He is not a starting QB in this league. Since the team will be lucky to win 6 games, perhaps as high as 8, where are we going? Mind as well see what BB, and/or Levi can do, if TE goes down. By January 1, 2011 you want to know whether you need a new franchise QB. SO if TE goes down or fails, I would not hesitate to put BB and/or Levi in.

There is no upside to keeping Fitz. We know what his limitations are. He is not a starting QB in this league. Since the team will be lucky to win 6 games, perhaps as high as 8, where are we going? Mind as well see what BB, and/or Levi can do, if TE goes down. By January 1, 2011 you want to know whether you need a new franchise QB. SO if TE goes down or fails, I would not hesitate to put BB and/or Levi in.

It's not that simple to say a guy has no upside therefore you dump him. In spite of the Brohm fans enthusiasm, he's still a project who has proven nothing in the NFL. Fitzpatrick has proven he can win or keep a pretty lousy team in games. Say in two years from now the Bills are a legitimate contender. They're still going to need a competent backup-"upside" be damned!

There's a very good chance Brohm is not ready to play adequetly if thrust into the starter's role & that he never will be. Why would any competent coach or GM get rid of the guy who has proven he can step in when the guy who would replace him is still a mystery? The proper thing to do is if the Bills feel Brohm has as much upside as his fans do is to continue to develop him as the 3rd stringer, let him get a year in the system & then give him the opportunity of unseating Fitzpatrick. With the Bills line, and Edward's injury history,chances are #3 will end up playing some anyway. Why put Brohm in early in the season when he might fold, like he did earlier in his career, causing him to get cut in GB & like he did in his 1st start with the Bills?

The main problem I have with the Brohm fans is they've continuously overrated him. The ones calling for Fitzpatrick's demise are blinded by their love of Brohm without much of a basis. Just because they don't like the 2 guys ahead of him, doesn't make him any better than he actually is. Obviously Gailey & his staff have spent a lot more time with all 3 QBs than any of us have seen and of the 3, they've decided they see more in Trent Edwards than the other guys. That should tell people something right there. If Brohm was as good as his fans think he is, he'd be #1, because Trent Edwards isn't a very good QB and is light years away from being a Franchise QB. The fact that Brohm is at best, even with Fitzpatrick should tell you all you need to know-he has very limited "upside" and at this point, for the good of the team now & in the future, Brohm should be developed at a much slower rate than his fans want. That translates either to #3 or the practice squad.

PS: The franchise QB is not on the roster, putting Brohm or Brown in there won't help. The franchise is coming in next year's draft.

Edited by Albany,n.y.