Wow -- Some things in this game impressed me

you can quibble all day about whether a guy off the street could make that throw (given years of practice with Lee Evans), but it would be hard to argue that any NFL or competent college player couldn't have made that completion. This isn't knocking him, it is just saying that he damn well better hit a guy THAT wide open with no pressure on him.

He missed it last week. But you're right, he damn well better hit that throw 90% of the time. It was a very good throw though, and Evans is amazing at adjusting to a long ball in the air. That's why we really need to just throw it up to him more. Even if only to keep the safeties back. It's such an elementary football play and concept.

that was a pleasant surprise!

Happy Thoughts:

• Brohm just FEELS like the better QB than Edwards. He looks comfortable out there and has a rocket arm.
  • Spiller was truly electric. I think Marshawn and Fred will make excellent backups.
  • Coaching seemed more coherent than last game
  • Run D looked good, though I can't tell whether that was the D's doing or Indy's ineptitude.

Unhappy Thoughts:

• Edwards, despite the long pass to Lee seemed a bit skittish and made some meh-ish passes.
  • Still no pass rush on defense.
  • Special teams still looks as if it's taken some huge steps backward.

Overall, they looked like a real NFL team out there. Why is that? I don't know, but let's hope they continue to build and improve on that effort.

Buffalo's OL was much better. They still have problems there but way better than the first game.

Some observations:

1) Trent had to check down b/c the Bills weren't picking up blitz packages and couldn't stop the pass rush. The line, even on some run plays, looked brutal. Brohm had more time to throw, obviously, but still did nothing more than high-efficiency passes.

2) Roscoe looked really good, but he won't have more that 40 receptions, if the line can't block.

3) Loved the 3 rb, 2 Te and 2 WR formation. Plenty of good plays could come out of that for the Bills thsi year, and Gailey knows that.

4) Thought Stroud and Williams looked great. Thought there was decent pressure at times on Manning. Poz and Mitchell looked to loose and couldn't adjust to passing situations, and once that became evident to Manning they ran the ball down their throats. Buffalo will have a hard time w/ the 3 WR, 1 RB set this year b/c the natural instinct to sniff out plays w/ our LBs is not there.

5) Whitner looked solid, as did McKelvin at times.

6) Joquie Bell may be one of my favorite players right now. I'm routing for him. I think he's hungry and has a ton of passion.

7) Steve Johnson will give Roscoe a run for his money -- no doubt. His route running is improving every time he gets on the field. Chad Jackson isn't looking too shabby either.

8) Gailey is a very good coach.

you can quibble all day about whether a guy off the street could make that throw (given years of practice with Lee Evans), but it would be hard to argue that any NFL or competent college player couldn't have made that completion. This isn't knocking him, it is just saying that he damn well better hit a guy THAT wide open with no pressure on him.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I don't think it's quibbling to say a guy off the street can't make most throws required of an NFL QB when the real bullets are flying. My comment has absolutely nothing to do with a Tent vs. Brohm vs. a CFL quarterback debate and everything to do with why those guys have made it to the professional level and why there are guys posting here sitting behind a desk claiming they could make the throw themselves. I know sometimes people just say these things as hyperbole to emphasize a point, but I think we actually have folks here that believe they can make these throws simply because he was so wide open.

Happy Thoughts:

• Brohm just FEELS like the better QB than Edwards. He looks comfortable out there and has a rocket arm.
  • Spiller was truly electric. I think Marshawn and Fred will make excellent backups.
  • Run D looked good, though I can't tell whether that was the D's doing or Indy's ineptitude.

Unhappy Thoughts:

• Edwards, despite the long pass to Lee seemed a bit skittish and made some meh-ish passes.

Overall, they looked like a real NFL team out there. Why is that? I don't know, but let's hope they continue to build and improve on that effort.

Brohm looked okay. But Edwards led the team to 14 points against Indianapolis' starters. Brohm led the team to three points against indy's back-ups. How does he FEEL better outside of you are tired of Edwards (which I can understand). But being tired of Edwards does not make Brohm the better QB and if he were the better QB he would be starting. He's had all offseason, OTA's and Minicamps to impress and he didn't enough to be the starter.

Brohm looked okay. But Edwards led the team to 14 points against Indianapolis' starters. Brohm led the team to three points against indy's back-ups. How does he FEEL better outside of you are tired of Edwards (which I can understand). But being tired of Edwards does not make Brohm the better QB and if he were the better QB he would be starting. He's had all offseason, OTA's and Minicamps to impress and he didn't enough to be the starter.

Some guys just need longer to develop no matter how much you wanted them yesterday.

Happy Thoughts:

Unhappy Thoughts:

I've expressed my opinions on the QBing in another thread. I agree with much of what you've written.

On play calling "coherency," I agree. Bentley and Tasker mentioned that this season is the first time since he was coaching Dallas that Chan was calling plays from the sidelines and that Chan admitted to "feeling a bit rusty."

In retrospect it was not surprising that the team stumbled out of the gates a bit last week. My brother and I watched the game last night and there was some clear underlying strategy ("coherency") to the play calling. One call led naturally into another. There was a good sense that Gailey had his finger on the pulse and that his experience and artfulness were on full display.

I thought the play calling was better than we've seen in many years.

As far as the pass rush, the team simply doesn't have a premier pass rusher. We all hold out hope that the 3-4 will allow us to create pressure schematically.

I actually still think that Maybin will lead us in sacks. Chris Ellis is a good-not-great athlete and same with Kelsay. Neither have quite the level of athleticism or skill to make the final step into an 8-10 sack guy. Antonio Coleman and Reggie Torbor are the sleepers.

Antonio Coleman is a natural pass rusher who needs to prove he can make the adjustment to the higher level of competition and a new position. He looks promising, still.

Reggie Torbor was a good pass rusher in college who played behind excellent pass rushers with the Giants and was used as an inside linebacker with the Dolphins. MAYBE he can emerge.

We've had no indication if Batten and/or Moats can add anything down the road.

I wanted the Bills to draft Brandon Graham this year…but maybe they can cobble together a decent pass rush with a few promising athletes, some smoke and mirrors.

Happy Thoughts:

Unhappy Thoughts:

I liked parts of Brohm's game and didn't like others - basically the same way I felt about Trent. I think the one thing that gamed proved without a doubt is that, regardless fo the order, the 3 QBs on the roster to start the season will be Edwards, Brohm, and Brown. Fitzy's time here is done.

The OLBs are still a little shakey (to put it nicely), but I think our d-line is going to be on to watch. Even McCargo looke decent out there! Those guys look good and are capable of collapsing the pocket given the time. Obviously none of them are going to get more than 3 or 4 sacks this year at best, but I think they will break down the pocket at the 3 second point consistantly. If someone steps up and can rush the passer, this could be a dangerous pass defense. I think the run d will get sorted out as the guys learn their assignments better.

It's nice to see a Buffalo Bills team win a game without playing boring football. When was the last exciting game this team played in? Was it that last win over the Pats?

I kind of agree and would like to see Brohm get the reps with the 1s and have a chance to grow into the starting qb. Edwards is a little better right now but he just looks like such a pu$$y when he plays. He jumps out of the way instead of following through on his passes and generally looks like a polo player trying to play football and not get hit. That said he still is capable of doing some good things but I just feel like Brohm's the type of player who needs to get some time to gain some traction before he's really comfortable and can show what he's capable of. He stands tall in the pocket and steps into passes...like an nfl quarterback....

I still feel like they picked Brohm up last year to groom him into our offense. Why take the man with a questionable o-line and feed him to the wolves if you are to make him the #1 of the club. I still feel like Trent can win some games and not lose some for us, making us 8-8. Brohm will be the backup this year and get situated, then take over next year. Remember this guy lost his confidence in GB. It will take time to build off that. Why through him out there when we have time to get an o-line down and stable and a system set up. Use Trent until next year.

Guest dog14787
Some guys just need longer to develop no matter how much you wanted them yesterday.

Its not like Brohm has had much of a chance to prove himself or develop, especially considering its been one new offense after another for him in a very short time span.

Brian Brohm looks like starter material to me (Trent Edwards does also).

Folks need to get on board with having two good QB's in buffalo, just how good they both can be under new HC Chan Gailey remains to be seen,

but the magic Gailey has with the QB position is already evident in my opinion

Guest dog14787
He missed it last week. But you're right, he damn well better hit that throw 90% of the time. It was a very good throw though, and Evans is amazing at adjusting to a long ball in the air. That's why we really need to just throw it up to him more. Even if only to keep the safeties back. It's such an elementary football play and concept.

Evans is a ball hawk who can flat out run down a football...

One of the things I noticed on the sideline is that The Chan is way more into it than you know who...

Bell runs hard and is a lock for the Practice squad or even the roster if Beast Mode or Freddie don't recover in time for the opener.

Chad Jackson is on the comeback trail. He finally gets IT.

The Chan is gonna get Roscoe the rock something I have been preaching since I got on this board.

Spiller is crazy good. But we need Jackson or Beast Mode to get most of the touches. Spiller is the perfect change of back player. After Fred and Marshawn wear em down, let CJ finish em off. I like it.

Trent surprised me. It is clear he is getting better coaching. But down the road I think with time Brohm will be better. Fitz is on the bubble if Brohm gets another decent game under his belt the next 2 weeks.

Stroud, Williams, Edwards is a decent D line. But the LB's worry me in coverage and teams can take advantage of that.

Not worry about Special Teams right now. If it is a problem 4 weeks into the season yea that a problem lol

The Oline was ok... if they can continue to run the ball well we have a chance to control field position in games.

Overall the Bills held a checkmate VS the Colts starters which is promising.

I think Brohm is a lock to make the team- once we get NFL receivers and an NFL line, he might be something, as may Edwards. Sure, Brohm was playing against backups, but he was surrounded by backups as well. Like it or not, but between those two, I don't think QB is a priority next offseason.

Spiller is the type of player that makes everyone around him better. That run last night was all him. I also like Jocque Bell a lot. Wouldn't mind taking what we can get for Lynch or Jackson- for all the hype, they really are good, productive players, but not the type that scares anyone. Spiller will terrify people and make the play action have value.

Dwaun Edwards might be the value pick up of the offseason for the whole league. Kyle Williams played well as did Stroud.

I think the offseason will be about upgrading OL, WR, LB

No pass rush? I disagree there. Watch the game again. Even though the Bills couldn't get sacks, they pressured Manning quite a bit on blitzes. Kyle Williams in particular was quite disruptive

I hate to say this, but not only is Chris Kelsay going to make the team, he's going to start and he's the best pass rusher off the edge they have. His presence made an impact in this game. The Bills played a ton of 4 DL fronts, especially when the starters were in, and the pass rush was decent.