You're most depressing movie ever?

PeteBills4ever

Jennifer Connely movies being mentioned reminded me of another, House of Sand and Fog.

Didn't see it, but read the book, and it struck me as a horribly depressing book. I wouldn't see the movie if you paid me.

Same goes with Cormac McCarthy's books-- like "The Road" and "No Country for Old Men"--pretty depressing (though excellent books). I've held off on seeing "The Road," but I might buckle down and rent it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen it but I have heard it's good. My question though is it good in spite of his acting or does he actually act well in it? When I was back east a few weeks ago my nephew was watching some Cage movie. Holy crap I thought there was no way I could possible see a move where his acting is worse that what I've seen in the past but it was bad, bad, bad, bad. It had something to do with him being able to see into the future. I can't believe the guy gets paid to do what he does.

Cage was fabulous in Leaving Las Vegas.And very good in Moonstruck and Adaptation. And I don't like him much at all.

Cage was fabulous in Leaving Las Vegas.And very good in Moonstruck and Adaptation. And I don't like him much at all.

I've heard that too about Leaving Las Vegas and I have seen that. I'm sorry but his acting is horrible even in that. A horrible actor cannot all of a sudden become fabulous. Maybe it's because he played someone that was hammered all the time you could better relate to him. :thumbsup:

I've heard that too about Leaving Las Vegas and I have seen that. I'm sorry but his acting is horrible even in that. A horrible actor cannot all of a sudden become fabulous. Maybe it's because he played someone that was hammered all the time you could better relate to him. :thumbsup:

Maybe you're just a good chef with crappy taste. :rolleyes:

The Bridge. A documentary of people jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. It is amazing to watch them back track the lives of people who jumped, talking to their family, their friends, finding their lifes secrets.

One guy was the product of his mothers one night stand. She had been planning suicide prior and determined that she would not get the abortion and end her life but instead try to raise him and see if it can help her live. She died when he was in his twenties and not too long after he jumped. It is epic to see the lifes dangle as they fall, to see the one person that someone saved and to see the one who survived. Try it...

I just watched The Bridge online last night - wow. Very well done, but those images stay with you - I'm having a hard time getting it out of my head. It's hard to imagine what would make anyone do that, but in a small way I guess it was bit comforting knowing that only the most troubled in society actually resort to something like that. Just about everyone who jumped had a history of mental illness, bi-polar disorder or severe clinical depression. Speaks to the state of mental health care in the U.S.

• 1 month later...

came in here only to post Requiem for a Dream.

there are a lot of other good, depressing movies mentioned in this thread, but Requiem is the movie that makes you feel like someone just kicked your soul in the crotch. I remember not even being able to get up from my chair when it was over. A really messed up, amazing movie.

I DVRd Requiem a few ago off IFC. Finally got around to watching it. Have to give it the old thumbs down. They got what was coming to them. I couldn't muster any sympathy for those losers.

The movie I was most depressed with at the end was No Country for Old Men........I was depressed because such a gripping and excellent movie ended so stupidly.

What was wrong with the ending to NCFOM? I thought one of the most brilliant moments of that movie was the penultimate scene, with the shot of him walking out of the wife's house after he had promised to kill her.....and he casually checks his shoes. Just awesome.

The accident at the very end seemed like a bit of dark humor to me.

Two terribly depressing movies:

Gone Baby Gone - directed by Ben Affleck, and staring Casey Affleck... But it's REALLY well done and VERY depressing - in a "I'm going to shoot myself in the head" way. :( I watched it streaming from Netflix last Christmas which made for quite the festive family holiday. :lol:

A second terribly depressing movie is My Sister's Keeper. Even the description sounds sad:

"Anna Fitzgerald looks to earn medical emancipation from her parents who until now have relied on their youngest child to help their leukemia-stricken daughter Kate remain alive."