The right thing to do with Trent Edwards

Got_Wood

I respect Trent Edwards as a person and player (to an extent), and I think that the position that he's in is the wrong one. Especially with a new regime coming in trying to clean house and develop a new team with a new identity.

Consider these 2 points:

- Trent Edwards, going into his 4th season, is one of the lowest paid players on the team. Currently his backup Ryan Fitzpatrick is making over 6 TIMES the salary that Trent makes.

- Fans associate Edwards with the tenure of Dick Jauron. A guy that was disliked by a majority of the fan base, and was responsible for much the development of Trent's game in the NFL. Sounds like a losing situation no matter what for him.

So, what's the right thing to do? I think, as much as it sucks to say, the right thing to do is start Ryan Fitzpatrick this year and let go of Trent. Whether it's a trade for a 5th of 6th (maybe even 7th) round pick or just simply cutting him from the team, the guy needs a fresh start with a new team. He can't be successful here, and he would be a distraction as a backup. I think turning the page towards a new era of Bills football depends on the Bills making this move.

Regardless of whether Fitzpatrick is successful or not this season, we have the opportunity to go after a franchise QB in the next draft. If we have to trade up to get our guy, then that's what we do.

That's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trent's a bright, likeable guy. But in the 2nd quarter I saw a player with a look of hopleless and and quit in his eyes as if to say what the hell am I doing here. Further evidence he's not a viable long term solution to the bills qb woes. I think he's better than any of the Qb's curently on the Bills roster. I would not trade him however as that would make a bad season really embarassing.

I respect Trent Edwards as a person and player (to an extent), and I think that the position that he's in is the wrong one. Especially with a new regime coming in trying to clean house and develop a new team with a new identity.

Consider these 2 points:

- Trent Edwards, going into his 4th season, is one of the lowest paid players on the team. Currently his backup Ryan Fitzpatrick is making over 6 TIMES the salary that Trent makes.

- Fans associate Edwards with the tenure of Dick Jauron. A guy that was disliked by a majority of the fan base, and was responsible for much the development of Trent's game in the NFL. Sounds like a losing situation no matter what for him.

So, what's the right thing to do? I think, as much as it sucks to say, the right thing to do is start Ryan Fitzpatrick this year and let go of Trent. Whether it's a trade for a 5th of 6th (maybe even 7th) round pick or just simply cutting him from the team, the guy needs a fresh start with a new team. He can't be successful here, and he would be a distraction as a backup. I think turning the page towards a new era of Bills football depends on the Bills making this move.

Regardless of whether Fitzpatrick is successful or not this season, we have the opportunity to go after a franchise QB in the next draft. If we have to trade up to get our guy, then that's what we do.

or we could keep trent and then there would be no reason to trade UP, cause we will have the #1 pick....lol

I agree that it's time for Trent to go. We already had a sense of who Trent was as a QB and we know that there would have to be a quantum leap for him to become a successful starter. Despite reports that Trent was making progress in camp, he came out Friday and revealed that he is who we thought he was. Same old scared QB that dumps off at the first sign of pressure and still locks on his intended target.

What is just as bad as his on-field performance is his off-field demeanor. His post-loss interviews are as stale and emotionless as his play. The guy has no fire, intensity, or leadership. If Chan is any kind of Offensive talent evaluator, he will see Trent for what he is and realize that he must look elsewhere for a starting QB.

The only other option I see is to cut Fitpatrick and keep Trent as a starter for just this season. But when our own fans are booing the guy in practice, it's not a good sign. Even if he's just our QB this season. It kills his confidence and it certainly doesn't do anything for him in terms of respect from other players on this team.

Hey guys... I'm not a Trent fan by any stretch, however I think it is ridiculous to cut a guy after 1 game while learning a new offense, had 3 OL starters out, and had his 2 starting RB's out. Not to mention, we don't have a legit #2 WR yet.

The guy was playing against a first string defense, with a second/third string offense... no one would have looked good.

If by preseason week 3 he still looks this bad, I'll ammend my opinion, but for now, he gets 3 games to prove himself before sending him packing.

Consider these 2 points:

Trent would not be a distraction on the bench. There would be no calls to bring him in from the media or the fans. It is never going to be like a Flutie/Johnson thing. Most people realize Trent is weak and needs to be sitting. The sad thing is Gailey seems to have confidence in him. Based on what, I have no idea.

Trent's a bright, likeable guy. But in the 2nd quarter I saw a player with a look of hopleless and and quit in his eyes as if to say what the hell am I doing here. Further evidence he's not a viable long term solution to the bills qb woes. I think he's better than any of the Qb's curently on the Bills roster. I would not trade him however as that would make a bad season really embarassing.

That certainly could be due to protection breaking down all game. But you are correct that trent has to start showing something.

PTR

The only other option I see is to cut Fitpatrick and keep Trent as a starter for just this season. But when our own fans are booing the guy in practice, it's not a good sign. Even if he's just our QB this season. It kills his confidence and it certainly doesn't do anything for him in terms of respect from other players on this team.

In terms of leadership I think Fitz is way ahead TE. I would take a good look at Brown and Brohm. Get rid of Trent and keep our eyes open for training camp cuts. A veteran off of someone else's scrapheap may be our best option this season.

I think either TE or RF gets cut, and who goes depends entirely on Trent's performance the next few games. Gailey is not tied to either guy. From purely a player potential perspective, I think what you see is what you get with RF... a guy who understands the game but doesn't have the talent to produce. If TE gets cut, I think the season is a developmental carousel because Nix and Gailey have to realize that RF playing at his best is not the future of this franchise, and letting him play out the season is wasting available time to see if either of the other QBs can play.

In terms of leadership I think Fitz is way ahead TE. I would take a good look at Brown and Brohm. Get rid of Trent and keep our eyes open for training camp cuts. A veteran off of someone else's scrapheap may be our best option this season.

I spoke to someone who covers Bills camp over the weekend and suggested this option. His response was that it's highly unlikely since that QB would have no time to learn the offense and you would just make a bad situation worse, much like changing an OC the week before the season starts.

PTR

If you are the GM, you've got to consider...do I go through another season of the known quantity (TE, RF) and potentially get the same result as if I played my unknown quantity (BB, LB)?

If the known gets you to say 4-12, and the unknown can get you to the same place, which do you choose?

For me, I choose seeing what BB and LB have got.

I spoke to someone who covers Bills camp over the weekend and suggested this option. His response was that it's highly unlikely since that QB would have no time to learn the offense and you would just make a bad situation worse, much like changing an OC the week before the season starts.

PTR

Playing a stop-gap veteran also doesn't help you figure out what you have on the team now. It would be different if we had a championship caliber defense and were making a run at something, but otherwise bringing in short term garbage is not the answer.

Consider these 2 points:

How about some old school, the right thing to do ...

1. Coaches should start the players that deserves to start and give the Team best chance to win.

2. Players should honor their contract.

3. Play fair and play to win --- always!!!

Hey guys... I'm not a Trent fan by any stretch, however I think it is ridiculous to cut a guy after 1 game while learning a new offense, had 3 OL starters out, and had his 2 starting RB's out. Not to mention, we don't have a legit #2 WR yet.

The guy was playing against a first string defense, with a second/third string offense... no one would have looked good.

If by preseason week 3 he still looks this bad, I'll ammend my opinion, but for now, he gets 3 games to prove himself before sending him packing.

It wouldn't be based on his performance in the first preseason game. It would be because of the 2 major points I mentioned in the original post.

PTR

I know that it's not an attractive or long-term option, but it may be the best we could do. I was hoping that Trent could show some maturity and progress but he's the same Trent from last year both on and off of the field.

If you are the GM, you've got to consider...do I go through another season of the known quantity (TE, RF) and potentially get the same result as if I played my unknown quantity (BB, LB)?

If the known gets you to say 4-12, and the unknown can get you to the same place, which do you choose?

For me, I choose seeing what BB and LB have got.

I would argue that RF is the only known quantity at present. I think Gailey and Nix are trying to determine how much of TE's failure over the last season and a half was him and how much was the absurd coaching situation. IMO, Nix has done everything short of publicly scoff at the stupidity of last year's staff and I think he and Gailey are willing to give TE the benefit of the doubt for the preseason, at least. The fact they had interest in McNabb is enough to tell me they're not sold on the guy as the future.