The right thing to do with Trent Edwards

Got_Wood

You would think Gailey would bring a vet in if he really felt all 3 QBs were a lost cause. Unless he and Nix figure it's a lost season anyway. But if that were the case, wouldn't they play Levi Brown?

PTR

I think Buddy and Chan want to properly develop Brown like the 7th round prospect he is. You don't see too many 7th round QB's starting their first year in the NFL, and there's a reason for that. Typically you're taking a risk on a player that has raw talent that needs to be developed, and in Levi's case also played at a small school. No way is he ready for the NFL yet. I believe the plan all along has been to keep Levi as the 3rd stringer and cut one of the 3 other QB's.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally had a chance top really look at that first few drives in slo-mo today and I have to say Trent was not crisp then either. He was off-target with his passes even though they were caught.

PTR

No offense, because i'm not a huge trent fan either, but again i think bills fans are putting too much on this first preseason game... even the first offensive series. I mean if you look at fitz's first couple series, his throws were way off. Hell look at some of mcnabb's throws, he missed a wide open long ball. Its the first time the bullets started flying for real. I would say if over the course of preseason his passes or confidence don't improve, then you judge him.

I respect Trent Edwards as a person and player (to an extent), and I think that the position that he's in is the wrong one. Especially with a new regime coming in trying to clean house and develop a new team with a new identity.

Consider these 2 points:

- Trent Edwards, going into his 4th season, is one of the lowest paid players on the team. Currently his backup Ryan Fitzpatrick is making over 6 TIMES the salary that Trent makes.

- Fans associate Edwards with the tenure of Dick Jauron. A guy that was disliked by a majority of the fan base, and was responsible for much the development of Trent's game in the NFL. Sounds like a losing situation no matter what for him.

So, what's the right thing to do? I think, as much as it sucks to say, the right thing to do is start Ryan Fitzpatrick this year and let go of Trent. Whether it's a trade for a 5th of 6th (maybe even 7th) round pick or just simply cutting him from the team, the guy needs a fresh start with a new team. He can't be successful here, and he would be a distraction as a backup. I think turning the page towards a new era of Bills football depends on the Bills making this move.

Regardless of whether Fitzpatrick is successful or not this season, we have the opportunity to go after a franchise QB in the next draft. If we have to trade up to get our guy, then that's what we do.

That's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

That is sure a decent thing to do. I wonder if the management thinks about doing the decent thing? I would still like to see him play with better support up front.

Fabricate something else, please...

:ph34r:

Fabricate what? See here: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/buffalo-bills/salary/67039

I think Trent deserves to be paid more if he's going to start, and it's insulting that the backup would make more than him. And I think that if he wants a shot at being successful, it should be a fresh start on another team.

To set the record straight, I will support any QB the Bills put on the field opening day. I'm a Bills fan through thick and thin.

Fabricate something else, please...

:ph34r:

After looking around a little more, it appears the Fox Sports NFL team salaries may be outdated. Either way, it looks like this:

Trent: $1.6 million

Fitz: $2.3 million

Brohm: $470,000

After looking around a little more, it appears the Fox Sports NFL team salaries may be outdated. Either way, it looks like this:

Trent: $1.6 million

Fitz: $2.3 million

Brohm: $470,000

I liked the nfl better when we didn't know what they got paid.....who cares.....

I respect Trent Edwards as a person and player (to an extent), and I think that the position that he's in is the wrong one. Especially with a new regime coming in trying to clean house and develop a new team with a new identity.

Consider these 2 points:

- Trent Edwards, going into his 4th season, is one of the lowest paid players on the team. Currently his backup Ryan Fitzpatrick is making over 6 TIMES the salary that Trent makes.

- Fans associate Edwards with the tenure of Dick Jauron. A guy that was disliked by a majority of the fan base, and was responsible for much the development of Trent's game in the NFL. Sounds like a losing situation no matter what for him.

So, what's the right thing to do? I think, as much as it sucks to say, the right thing to do is start Ryan Fitzpatrick this year and let go of Trent. Whether it's a trade for a 5th of 6th (maybe even 7th) round pick or just simply cutting him from the team, the guy needs a fresh start with a new team. He can't be successful here, and he would be a distraction as a backup. I think turning the page towards a new era of Bills football depends on the Bills making this move.

Regardless of whether Fitzpatrick is successful or not this season, we have the opportunity to go after a franchise QB in the next draft. If we have to trade up to get our guy, then that's what we do.

That's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Nice essay but how do you turn the page into a new Bills era by starting Fitz? Start Brohm and get Brown ready. Cut Trent and keep Fitz in the event of injuries. If both Brohm and Brown fail, draft a top QB next season because if they fail we will have a terrible record. Fitz is not a new start.

I liked the nfl better when we didn't know what they got paid.....who cares.....

I agree, and I can't stand that the majority of news that ESPN talks about is salary cap, player contract, or NFL revenue related. Fans don't care, they just want to see their favorite team beat the other team. You're completely right.

I used the salaries as just another reason Trent is in a bad situation. Probably not as relevant as other factors.

Nice essay but how do you turn the page into a new Bills era by starting Fitz? Start Brohm and get Brown ready. Cut Trent and keep Fitz in the event of injuries. If both Brohm and Brown fail, draft a top QB next season because if they fail we will have a terrible record. Fitz is not a new start.

My point was that Fitz is already viewed as a backup. So starting him this season doesn't mean as much to the fans. That way when the draft comes around, we can turn the page to the new Bills era I was talking about.

That being said, I wouldn't mind the scenario you mentioned.

My point was that Fitz is already viewed as a backup. So starting him this season doesn't mean as much to the fans. That way when the draft comes around, we can turn the page to the new Bills era I was talking about.

That being said, I wouldn't mind the scenario you mentioned.

Don't be so sure we are going QB in the first round. We have one of the worst OLs in history. We don't have a single starting caliber OT on the roster, despite everyone's infatuation with Meredith

Does anyone out there know the actual facts of Gailey's QN rebuild process?

In his previous work he pulled off with folks such as Thigpen or Bulger how long did it take for him to design and implement a scheme which worked with the limitations of past mediocre QBs he has managed to make them productive.

I personally do think Edwards would be able to play a full season due to him being injury prone, but it would not be shocking if with him making it work with a new QB it simply takes some time.

I'm going with TE, but I have to tell you that I would be really happy if Brohm started. I hate RF. I dont like him behind the line. But im no coach or talent evaluator. The only thing I know is the only thing worse then the Bills OL is the QBs.

Does anyone out there know the actual facts of Gailey's QN rebuild process?

In his previous work he pulled off with folks such as Thigpen or Bulger how long did it take for him to design and implement a scheme which worked with the limitations of past mediocre QBs he has managed to make them productive.

I personally do think Edwards would be able to play a full season due to him being injury prone, but it would not be shocking if with him making it work with a new QB it simply takes some time.

Oops, Gailey's "QB" rebuild process (sorry for the fumble fingered typo way too late at night. My thought is that I am interested in the past when Gailey has developed an O system which better utilizes the limited skills of a particular QB there has been any history of stops and starts in success in installing the new system until the QB begins to "get" as far as performing it in game situations.

The theory would be that part of Edwards marginal play in his first game implementing things the Gailey way might naturally be tentative until he gets a couple of games under his belt?

Does anyone remember or can find out what the speed and/or process of Gailey's past O scheme implementation was?