Darwin in action : CA truck race crash

Just Jack

Off-road racer rolls truck into crowd, killing 8

Having seen the video now several times on TV, gotta wonder why someone would stand right next to the "track" where trucks are flying over jumps at speeds up to 100mph.

I never understood why people would stand so close to the action when you know disaster can happen any second...It's like those rallye races they have in Europe when they go full speed on small roads with all those people (even children) bunched up right on the side of the road, crazy...

I never understood why people would stand so close to the action when you know disaster can happen any second...It's like those rallye races they have in Europe when they go full speed on small roads with all those people (even children) bunched up right on the side of the road, crazy...

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." ~Mary Shafer

:wallbash:

Having seen the video now several times on TV, gotta wonder why someone would stand right next to the "track" where trucks are flying over jumps at speeds up to 100mph.

Every time I see news coverage of this, I wonder if there's more than 5 people out there who don't immediately think "idiots!". I wish they'd cover this story for what it really is, stupid people getting killed because they're doing something stupid. I'll start watching any media outlet that says that right up front.

That's exactly what I thought when i saw the footage before the truck rolled over. You've got to be a complete idiot to put yourself anywhere near that kind of danger.

I consider every day I have lived after quiting street racing on Ohio street in 1977 a bonus. So I took up flying in Alaska, which is comparatively much more safe and sane. Really how can you protect everyone at a off road event? Put up 100 miles of fence? These things are going to happen when people play hard.

Every time I see news coverage of this, I wonder if there's more than 5 people out there who don't immediately think "idiots!". I wish they'd cover this story for what it really is, stupid people getting killed because they're doing something stupid. I'll start watching any media outlet that says that right up front.

I only consider them idiots if they're surprised by the outcome. You make an informed, knowledgable decision to stand where you stand a good chance of getting creamed by a truck...okay. You say "Oh my God, I didn't know that people could get killed standing right next to an off-road track!"...yeah, idiot.

I only consider them idiots if they're surprised by the outcome. You make an informed, knowledgable decision to stand where you stand a good chance of getting creamed by a truck...okay. You say "Oh my God, I didn't know that people could get killed standing right next to an off-road track!"...yeah, idiot.

EXACTLY!

You stand there and get squished... Suck it up! Whine and cry about it? You are an idiot.

Then again... Who's "the idiot" when the lawyers get innvolved and there are big payouts handed out later... Considering one lives and comes out in relatively good health! :ph34r:

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." ~Mary Shafer

:worthy:

How about "reasonable safety"? Or perhaps "a modicum of safety?"

:ph34r:

Just watched the interview. I don't agree with what the guy said at all. Blamming the drivers for being reckless, and not using common sense.

How about the spectators use common sense and not stand next to a jump where trucks will be flying over 75 miles an hour over.

I feel bad for what happened, but that guy is an idiot. If you stand that close, basically on the track, leaving no room for error, something is going to happen.

I feel terrible for the driver. You can almost guarantee he has nightmares about this. Would be very hard for me to get back into that truck, and do it all again!

I believe that falls under "Don't stand next to speeding off-road trucks."

It sure does.

I'd argue, "Don't allow spectators to stand next to speeding off-road trucks" fits the definition, too.

It sure does.

I'd argue, "Don't allow spectators to stand next to speeding off-road trucks" fits the definition, too.

But then we wouldn't be able to see, well, "Darwin in action!"

...It's like those rallye races they have in Europe when they go full speed on small roads with all those people (even children) bunched up right on the side of the road, crazy...

check out the 44 second mark, the 4:40 mark, the 5:05 mark, 5:16, 5:30

Raw video from CBS of the crash aftermath.

And another act of stupidity, the spectators wonder out onto the course to get a better look of what happened... while other trucks are still racing, unaware of the accident. They're lucky it didn't get even worse.