Bills relocation question

I asked Chris Brown (Bills reporter) questions about how much money would it take for a new Bills owner to purchase the team and relocate it to another city, here's Chris' response: "The attractive situation with the Bills franchise is there is no debt. No debt on the stadium, not a lot of dead money on player contracts etc. With the lease expiring in 2012 it makes getting out of Buffalo easier as well. Relocation fees can be up to $600M and Commissioner Goodell I believe has discretion to make it even higher as a deterrent. If a team costs up to $1 billion (Forbes valued Bills at $909 million this year) I still think despite the lease and no debt issues that the relocation fee would be enough of a deterrent."

If a new owner were to decide to move the team, he would have to come up with at least $2.5 Billion at minimum, to include purchase, moving & building a new stadium in a new city. That might work heavily in Buffalo's favor to keep the team in WNY.

My point was, in order for a new owner to move the Bills, it's gonna cost him a lot of money (which favors the team staying in Buffalo).

You don't think deals could be made if the owner wants to move to a bigger TV market?

1) The NFL can waive the relocation fee AND/OR help build an LA stadium if they see fit

2) Toronto would not be a "relocation" any more than the Jets/Giants stadium proposal in NYC (which became NJ after) in the eyes of the league, thanks to Ralph's "claim" of the Toronto market.

3) I still do not see them going anywhere. Ralph has had a plan for a LONG time

You don't think deals could be made if the owner wants to move to a bigger TV market?

What kind of deals? Right now the Bills are listed at $909 million. The relocation fee is $600 million, that's $1.509 Billion right there. Okay, maybe Goodell cuts 'a deal' like you say and gives the owner a discounted relocation fee, the new owner still has to build a new stadium. How much do you think that's gonna cost?

Toronto does not have a viable stadium option. Tax dollars will never be used in ontario to help fund a stadium

If the relocation is to Los Angeles or maybe London, Goodell will not block it by imposing a huge relo fee (globalization of the product and all that..) . If it's L.A. or London the Bills are gone , anywhere else, I don't see it happening. Goodell knows Toronto is a crap market for NFL football and Buffalo people will not be able to afford the tickets.

forbes listing the team's value at 900 millions means very little. the rams were up for sale in feb and the price was reportedly 750 million. i would think the bills could go for a bit less than that...say 700 million. that plus 400 million for a new stadium(based off cost of new england's gillette stadium which was less than that. a new owner would invest about 1.1-1.2 billion and have immediate sellouts to recoup his money. if nys ponied up cash for the stadium it would help the cause as well.

What kind of deals? Right now the Bills are listed at $909 million. The relocation fee is $600 million, that's $1.509 Billion right there. Okay, maybe Goodell cuts 'a deal' like you say and gives the owner a discounted relocation fee, the new owner still has to build a new stadium. How much do you think that's gonna cost?

Relocation fee could be partially paid by the state the team moves to. The owners can make any deal they want to get into a bigger market. The league loaned the Jets/Giants money to build their stadium. To think the Bills are going to stay because it will cost a lot to move is not realistic. If the new owner wants to move the team, he/she will.

Relocation fee could be partially paid by the state the team moves to. The owners can make any deal they want to get into a bigger market. The league loaned the Jets/Giants money to build their stadium. To think the Bills are going to stay because it will cost a lot to move is not realistic. If the new owner wants to move the team, he/she will.

It's one thing to loan some money for a stadium, but for relocation & a stadium, in this economy, I highly doubt it.