Felton Huggins waived

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought all along that Felton is this year's Justin Jenkins, who is no longer Practice Squad eligible. I just checked the eligibility rules (linked/quoted below) to make sure there was no years-pro restriction when I saw FH came out of college in 2006.

If he's a known quantity they like (and I think they do) who is dinged up and unlikely to play or play much in preseason, why not release him now and plan to sign him to the PS later? That's one less player they need to "sneak" to the PS in the late team cuts. And, it opens a roster spot to check out someone else.

Here's the best write-up I found after a quick search:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2009/9/9/...squad-explained

Section 4. Eligibility: (a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. (b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club's physical and been a member of the club's Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.)

Sarcasm?

Spiller is going to end up being the number 3 WR on the roster ... which means they need room to keep (another) runningback because obviously Jackson and Lynch aren't enough.

81 Easley, Marcus WR 6-2 207 22 R Connecticut

83 Evans, Lee WR 5-10 197 29 7 Wisconsin

84 Hardy, James WR 6-5 220 24 2 Indiana

15 Huggins, Felton WR 6-2 186 27 1 Southeastern Louisia

17 Jackson, Chad WR 6-1 223 25 3 Florida

13 Johnson, Steve WR 6-2 202 24 3 Kentucky

19 Jones, Donald WR 6-0 214 22 R Youngstown State

86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 217 23 R Florida

11 Parrish, Roscoe WR 5-9 178 28 6 Miami

18 Roosevelt, Naaman WR 6-0 189 22 R Buffalo

3 WR's that are locks to make the final roster are in BOLD. That leaves 6 WRs for 3 remaining slots. Will they keep Easley assuming his knee will heal this season? I think Chad Jackson and David Nelson make it. So that leaves Roosevelt, Jones and Hardy for the final slot.

PTR

81 Easley, Marcus WR 6-2 207 22 R Connecticut

83 Evans, Lee WR 5-10 197 29 7 Wisconsin

84 Hardy, James WR 6-5 220 24 2 Indiana

15 Huggins, Felton WR 6-2 186 27 1 Southeastern Louisia

17 Jackson, Chad WR 6-1 223 25 3 Florida

13 Johnson, Steve WR 6-2 202 24 3 Kentucky

19 Jones, Donald WR 6-0 214 22 R Youngstown State

86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 217 23 R Florida

11 Parrish, Roscoe WR 5-9 178 28 6 Miami

18 Roosevelt, Naaman WR 6-0 189 22 R Buffalo

3 WR's that are locks to make the final roster are in BOLD. That leaves 6 WRs for 3 remaining slots. Will they keep Easley assuming his knee will heal this season? I think Chad Jackson and David Nelson make it. So that leaves Roosevelt, Jones and Hardy for the final slot.

PTR

Hardy's a lock as well. You're crazy if you think otherwise. They've invested a high pick in him and too much money. He lost a year to injury and another to a lousy system and coaching turmoil.

He's going to make the team. And he will contribute. Will he be any good? Who knows. But they won't cut him ... this year.

Hardy's a lock as well. You're crazy if you think otherwise. They've invested a high pick in him and too much money. He lost a year to injury and another to a lousy system and coaching turmoil.

He's going to make the team. And he will contribute. Will he be any good? Who knows. But they won't cut him ... this year.

I don't see this as a reason to keep him. If other players are better and he's not getting it done, then where he was drafted and what he's been paid means nothing, especially with a new regime. Chan and Buddy didn't draft him. What do they care? You think McCargo keeps his job because he was a #1?

PTR

Disagree. He's absolutely NOT a lock. At some point you have to move on if you don't think the player will improve significantly. There is a new GM and a new coach neither of whom have any loyalty or responsibility towards Hardy. There's also been several reports about Hardy making the same mistakes over again and not learning well... If true that doesn't bode well for his future.

Don't get me wrong, he's got a good shot to make it because we have a weak, young WR corps. But this is his third year from a previous regime and he is by no means a lock.

I don't see this as a reason to keep him. If other players are better and he's not getting it done, then where he was drafted and what he's been paid means nothing, especially with a new regime. Chan and Buddy didn't draft him. What do they care? You think McCargo keeps his job because he was a #1?

PTR

I think there's a big difference between Hardy's situation and McCargo's (McCargo has had more time to prove himself). But in general I think you are correct. If Hardy sucks he is probably gone.

I still think Hardy makes the squad. Although based on all the reports from camp, I am questioning that a bit.

Disagree. He's absolutely NOT a lock. At some point you have to move on if you don't think the player will improve significantly. There is a new GM and a new coach neither of whom have any loyalty or responsibility towards Hardy. There's also been several reports about Hardy making the same mistakes over again and not learning well... If true that doesn't bode well for his future.

Don't get me wrong, he's got a good shot to make it because we have a weak, young WR corps. But this is his third year from a previous regime and he is by no means a lock.

I think the "several reports" are really all from one report. But I could be wrong.

I disagree

Hardy is on the bubble. Think the team likes Jones more. Would not be surprised if he is cut. This increases the chances of Roosevelt on at least making the practice squad.

No team will pick up Huggy while he is injured anyway. He maybe on IR if his shoulder is bad. We shall see.

PTR

McCargo has had enough chances. Hardy hasn't.

What's hard to know is why Huggins didn't get any action last year or two. Was he just not up to it or were the coaches just too conservative to give him a shot when it mattered. One of those questions we'll never have an answer to.

Come on, you already know the answer: Dick Jauron.