Bryan Bulaga competing for starting job...

No shame in that…a rookie with a chance to start on the offensive line. Even if he was drafted as a tackle and they want to convert him to guard. After all, Rueben Brown was an All-American tackle at Pitt before an excellent career as an NFL guard. But Bulaga will remain a backup at left tackle while competing for the starting job at left guard. And apparently the Packers feel comfortable with the declining Mark Tauscher at right tackle. So Bulaga will learn two positions but he won't become a swing tackle, like many teams use.

"Bulaga had only worked at LT thus far in his first NFL camp, but he began rotating with Daryn Colledge at LG on the No. 1 line. After practice, Head Coach Mike McCarthy said Bulaga had earned the right to compete for the starting LG position…

With Bulaga getting work at LG, Allen Barbre was working with the backup units at LT."

http://blog.packers.com/2010/08/09/monday-practice-report-2/

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/art...c4-6d766561b203

It will be interesting to see how this year's 22nd pick develops in light of the many posters here who thought we should have drafted him.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is any rookie, outside of the top-2 guys, starting at LT this year?

Not that I am aware of. Anthony Davis is starting at RT and Iuapati is starting at LG for the 49ers. Would Davis have started at LT if we would have taken him instead of Spillar? Possibly. He is a terrific raw talent who had some maturity and effort issues. The Bills are not in the position to take those types of risk players with their high first round pick. Getting a playmaker in Spillar made sense for the Bills.

Bulaga could have beat out any tackle on our roster for a starting spot. We've got a bunch of injured-penalty taking-false starting- pansay asses playing tackle for us.

Beating out any tackle on our roster still doesn't mean that he was a good value pick at the nine spot. Spillar was drafted in the vicinity of where he was ranked. Bulaga, also, was drafted in the vicinity of where he was ranked.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that our tackles are very questionable. This organization is taking a major risk with staying with what they got. As it presently stands they got little choice but to go with what they got.

It's amazing that some, merely to discredit a player, will determine the success or failure of a players career based on their rookie season or where they play in camp. The Packers are a proven organization and believe Bulaga is a able to play LG now. I highly doubt they think he can't play OT down the road, especially considering their other options are Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton.

Jairus Byrd had a statistically fine season with those 9 INT's. But it's the 2nd year and beyond that tell the story. Will Byrd be exposed for his poor run defense and tackling or improve? Will he be fortunate to play Jake Delhomme and a mistake prone Mark Sanchez every season or learn from experience? Let's see what players do when teams have film on them. Then, we can declare them outstanding players.

Beating out any tackle on our roster still doesn't mean that he was a good value pick at the nine spot. Spillar was drafted in the vicinity of where he was ranked. Bulaga, also, was drafted in the vicinity of where he was ranked.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that our tackles are very questionable. This organization is taking a major risk with staying with what they got. As it presently stands they got little choice but to go with what they got.

When did "getting value at nine" take precedence over building a winning football team?

Frankly we needed another gaurd more than we need a fourth running back.

Really? And he was going to start over Wood or Levitre? So basically with the nine pick you wanted Nix to take a player who would be a back up O-lineman and would have no impact on the game at all? I don't understand how that makes sense. Spiller will play; he will line up at receiver, he will return kicks, he will get carries. Even if he's not starting he can make an impact on the game. A back up OG won't unless there's a serious injury.

When did "getting value at nine" take precedence over building a winning football team?

That's how you build a winning football team. If you keep reaching to fill holes then those holes always end up with poor solutions. If you draft the best player available even if it is a strong position then your team gets the most value. You want the best players you can get, not the best of a bad bunch because your guys might be worse.

Really? And he was going to start over Wood or Levitre? So basically with the nine pick you wanted Nix to take a player who would be a back up O-lineman and would have no impact on the game at all? I don't understand how that makes sense. Spiller will play; he will line up at receiver, he will return kicks, he will get carries. Even if he's not starting he can make an impact on the game. A back up OG won't unless there's a serious injury.

Not really..he would have started over the two excuses we presently have for tackles. However even if he werent' to start over tackles he would have been the first guy off the bench if either Wood or Levitre got hurt (assuming he didn't beat out one or the other.) The offense would have been better with Bulaga at tackle. I'm not sure the offense is any better with spiller over either Lynch or Jackson.

Nix had the entire offseason to do something about it and did relatively nothing (Cornhole & 5th rounder). I would rather have Bulaga at 9 and play tackle for 10 years than to have 3 starting RB's. So when spiller plays we have 2 starters, including a 1st rounder, on the bench. The long term success of the team wuld have been better served by giving up some value to sure up the biggest hole on the team. I don't care who's in our backfield because having the worst tackles in the NFL is too much for a horrible offense to overcome. Spiller better be able to vanish into thin air and then reappear 10 yards down field because he'll never get past the line of scrimmage without being plastered.

That's how you build a winning football team. If you keep reaching to fill holes then those holes always end up with poor solutions. If you draft the best player available even if it is a strong position then your team gets the most value. You want the best players you can get, not the best of a bad bunch because your guys might be worse.

ok..I get it..."Get Value" Leave gaping holes. That sounds like how we got all those great defensive backs who kept leaving because we douldn't win....because we had gaping holes.

You left something very important out, PH, which I think is going to play a big factor with the defenses we go up against this year; his speed is going to scare the p*** out of them.

No, no, they are obviously not worried that Spiller is going to be rammed down their throat, but they will be worried about this kids speed to the outside and how the cover him, whether running, or just going out on routes.

...It will be interesting to see how this year's 22nd pick develops in light of the many posters here who thought we should have drafted him.

I wasn't too concerned with the Bills drafting him this year. I was screaming for the tackle at number 11 in last years' draft. Now that Maybin is having trouble beating out a journeyman OLB recently cut from the Dolphins to start this training camp, I'm really pissed the Bills didn't "reach" for Michael Oher, who seems to be settling in rather nicely for the next 10 years or so in Baltimore these days. Let's see, Oher at LT and Wood at LG or even Center would look really nice right about now, wouldn't it?

Im not sure where that article got its info, but from the Packers intersquad scrimmage that was on NFLN this weekend he was purely at LT (backup). Also there is no harm in not beating out Mark Tauscher.

Bulaga looked very good in a scrimmage - yes still a scrimmage - but I fully expect him to be a qualtiy T in the NFL.

IMHO, the draft is always about weighing your team needs vs taking the best player available. Teams don't always take the best player available. For instance, say the Bills had Spiller as the 5th BPA and Trent Williams the 6 or 7th BPA. If both were available at pick nine it is very likely they would have picked Trent Williams. Same goes for Okung. So, I don't think your post is completely accurate.