Bryan Bulaga competing for starting job...

Bulaga was drafted as a left tackle, and the long term plans at Green Bay have been for him to play that position.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/pack...e-at-left-guard

That being said there was a position of need, Bulaga is being given the opportunity to play there, but there's no indication as of yet that he isn't still being considered for LT.

Not that we neede a LT anyway.

He can be considered for QB for all it matters. Until he plays there, and plays well, it means little. Same goes for Anthony Davis, or Charles Brown, or any other LT prospect the Bills passed-up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can be considered for QB for all it matters. Until he plays there, and plays well, it means little. Same goes for Anthony Davis, or Charles Brown, or any other LT prospect the Bills passed-up.

Actually..the same goes for Clausen, Stafford, Okung and....oh my god!!....Spiller.

I do not agree on Bulaga. There was no reason to waste a ist round pick on a guard, which is what he was being projected at. As for draft day last year, I think your "85%" is a bit off, on this board and by NFL scouts in general. There was plenty of disagreement on Maybin vs Orako, and plenty of questions about Oher. Hindsight is great. There was no consensus on any of these guys at the time.

That was meant as 85% of this board would have taken Oher over Maybin at teh time of the draft - which was the OP i was referring to. Orakpo was rightfully in the debate and should have been the pick over Maybin and Oher IMO, but he was no in THIS discusse, so I left him out.

I believe what he meant is that since the Bills drafted 2 interior OL last year, there was no reason to draft another this year. Much less 9th overall.

Ok so lets say at worst he PLays G. We still need another G (and slide Wood to C)

Jonathan Ogden played a year at guard before moving to tackle. Doesn't really mean much except that they want him to get his feet wet.

Of course there are also plenty of 1st rd lineman who never made it. Only time will tell.

People will haul out any arguement to justify their belief the Bills should have reached for a LT prospect rather than draft a player at 9 who is much more likley to help them this year. There is a reason Bulaga fell so far in the first round. As for the Bills, he did not fll a need nor was he the BPA. Time will tell how all these picks pan out, but this guy would have simply duplicated skills the Bills already have - not worth a first round pick for them. The tackle situation will resolve itself in time, and this will take more than 1 year.

Bulaga would have duplicated skills the Bills already have? Oh, please. The day of the draft he was better as an RT than anyone we have on the team, including Cornell Green. And while there's a chance Bulaga might not be a successful LT, nobody on this team has a chance anywhere near as great. There's still hope for Wang a few years down the road, but you are absolutely kidding yourself that we have guys with Bulaga's skills. We don't.

Bulaga would have duplicated skills the Bills already have? Oh, please. The day of the draft he was better as an RT than anyone we have on the team, including Cornell Green. And while there's a chance Bulaga might not be a successful LT, nobody on this team has a chance anywhere near as great. There's still hope for Wang a few years down the road, but you are absolutely kidding yourself that we have guys with Bulaga's skills. We don't.

Bulaga has done nothing in the NFL so far. Let's wait until he has before we canonize him.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the latest news is that Bryan Bulaga will start the season as the Packers' top backup at left guard and left tackle.

He's been slowed lately by a nagging hip injury but in reading the article, it sounds like Bulaga never challenged for either job.

It's a good read.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/aug/29/bc-fbn-packers-colledge/?sports&nfl

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Nobody and I mean nobody cried more then me when we failed to draft a LT #1

On further review, I was wrong. Spiller was the right choice.

We will get a LT, somehow we will get one! :unsure:

Actually, there were a few other posters just as adamant than you and kudos to you for posting.

In fairness to you, the story hasn't really been written yet, but so far, the Bills and their fans have to be very happy with that first round decision.

Bulaga was drafted as a left tackle, and the long term plans at Green Bay have been for him to play that position.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/pack...e-at-left-guard

That being said there was a position of need, Bulaga is being given the opportunity to play there, but there's no indication as of yet that he isn't still being considered for LT.

Not that we neede a LT anyway.

So in a roundabout way what your saying is that they took the BPA and by doing so, were able to successfully maximize talent on there offense filling an unexpected need this year and hopefully a separate one down the line? Weird how getting the best players out there allows you to be flexible.

Obviously the pats don't take a qb in the first, but in general you will have 2-3 guys ranked closely, and you take the one that does fit your team best, but you don't reach by 15 picks in the first round. You don't pass elite talent for good players.

Last - the argument that you were just saying that he was four because they had 3 rbs on the roster is just silly. Turns out the packers probably had about 10 lineman too. It was just a dig to get people upset, and frankly, unneeded.

Edited by NoSaint

I believe the plan is to eventually switch Wood and Hangman.

And upon what is your belief based? That Wood played C in college? I read a lot of posts by people presuming this to be the Bills' plan, yet there's not one shred of evidence that is the case. Ok, Wood got some backup snaps at C recently. Big deal. The Ross Tucker article posted last week gave a pretty thorough explanation as to why C is the "least important" position on the line, and Wood's position (RG) is either 2nd or 3rd (after LT/RT).

Nix had the entire offseason to do something about it and did relatively nothing (Cornhole & 5th rounder). I would rather have Bulaga at 9 and play tackle for 10 years than to have 3 starting RB's. So when spiller plays we have 2 starters, including a 1st rounder, on the bench. The long term success of the team wuld have been better served by giving up some value to sure up the biggest hole on the team. I don't care who's in our backfield because having the worst tackles in the NFL is too much for a horrible offense to overcome. Spiller better be able to vanish into thin air and then reappear 10 yards down field because he'll never get past the line of scrimmage without being plastered.

I expect a retraction. Going with talent is never the wrong thing to do. The long term success of any team is better served with the acquisition of exceptional "playmakers" who are very difficult to find.

The OL (OTs) still needs to be upgraded. Cornell Green is one of the worst OTs I have ever seen. At least with Bell there is a prospect of development. With Green he is what he is: less than a pedestrian player. His signing never made sense. The Raiders got rid of Green and signed Langston Walker. They made out in that exchange.

Bulaga could have beat out any tackle on our roster for a starting spot. We've got a bunch of injured-penalty taking-false starting- pansay asses playing tackle for us.

Thanks for the insightful and highly informed analysis of the tackles. :blink: