CJ moving up to first team

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a fan of Spiller returning kicks or punts...just use him as a RB and leave it at that.

Yes, because a guy who has the ability to take it to the house from anywhere on the field should be "sheltered."

Did Thurman Thomas return kicks?

I don't recall if TT was a dynamic returner in college. But either way, TT was the clear starting back from the get-go (he averaged almost 14 carries/game his rookie season).

That is not likely CJ's role this season. If so, then he probably shouldn't return kicks on a regular basis.

I don't know if people really understand what CJ's position on this team will be this year. He will share the return gig with McKelvin and Parrish and the others. He won't be a RB, he is going to be more of a Hybrid offensive player who will line up almost anywhere at anytime on offence to get him the ball. Jackson and Lynch are the 1a/1b backs, Spiller will take over for them when they need a break, and will also line up as a receiver at time. He is very versatile a player and is a threat running the ball as much as he is catching it.

Lynch isn't going anywhere, neither are Jackson or Spiller, all 3 are going to get their time with the ball. Its actually been mentioned that it was the reason why it took so long signing him because of the "escalators/clauses" in the normal contract about carries that they needed to negotiate because of how he was being used. Because he won't be used as a regular RB all the time, they couldn't just make those for carries, and since he will also be a WR, they couldn't make them based on catches

Yeah, I think returning is pretty safe, at least, compared to any other part of football. Blocking for returns is what's really dangerous, as we learned with Kevin Everett. But return tackles aren't harder hits than RB tackles usually.

:P I really disagree with you here. Punt returns especially are very dangerous compared to running the ball from the backfield. In some cases, you have a guy with 40 yards of steam charging at you as you look up for the ball. If you fail to move or make the fair catch signal, you are in a world of hurt like many of Steve Tasker's victims.

Blocking on returns, while is dangerous isn't the the reason Kevin Everett was paralyzed. He made a tackle on Domenik Hixon and hit him in the wrong way. In this case, the return tackle was harder than the hit the RB's generally take.

Mike I respect you as a poster, but please get the facts straight.

I don't know if people really understand what CJ's position on this team will be this year. He will share the return gig with McKelvin and Parrish and the others. He won't be a RB, he is going to be more of a Hybrid offensive player who will line up almost anywhere at anytime on offence to get him the ball. Jackson and Lynch are the 1a/1b backs, Spiller will take over for them when they need a break, and will also line up as a receiver at time. He is very versatile a player and is a threat running the ball as much as he is catching it.

Lynch isn't going anywhere, neither are Jackson or Spiller, all 3 are going to get their time with the ball. Its actually been mentioned that it was the reason why it took so long signing him because of the "escalators/clauses" in the normal contract about carries that they needed to negotiate because of how he was being used. Because he won't be used as a regular RB all the time, they couldn't just make those for carries, and since he will also be a WR, they couldn't make them based on catches

You dont know what his role is yet......No one knows!!! It depends on how he does. If he's awesome, He will take over the #1 rb job. Dont give me this scat back bs,....If he's good, he plays

totally disagree, play makers need to touch the ball often. that includes kr & pr.

+1, especially when the reason he is valuable is because he can make dynamic plays when he touches the ball that change the game. We have two other chain moving RBs so this is not like having your QB play the wedge buster...this is taking one of our top talents and trying to put him in place for making an impact.

We also don't have to worry about him being gassed because it is not a problem to have Freddie or Beastmode in there on the first down or two of a series and then have him rotate in.

McKelvin and Roscoe are also very good at returns, so he also doesn't have to be fulltime at either of those return positions and we can go with who is healthiest/doing the best/most dynamic. But having two explosive deep men on kick offs also prevents teams from kicking away from the home run hitter.

Hearing that CJ Spiller is already gonna start running with the starters after just signing, and is already #1 option at KR and PR.

So this being the case, should we trade a McKelvin for a Gaither clean if he is healthy?? If Gaither is healthy enough to play LT, that gives us a whole different outlook on the line. McKelvin not being there would barely change our backfield at all, so what's more important?

No. We should not do something difficult to reverse (like picking up a player for a key role who may be damaged goods or trading away a player whom we do not know for sure whether he is gonna be very good or not in our new systems( based purely on a roster move we are making based on theory,

Very good post. I totally agree. He will be on the field in many different spots. I would suspect he may be in motion and do a fair amount of fake reverses as well. I would be quite happy if we ****-canned the FB position and went with a 3 or 4 wide set with Nelson and/or Spiller moving all over the place to create match-up problems. Alternate Evans and Roscoe in the slot position and they should be able to keep the defense off-guard. Whether that will make a difference with our O-line situation I don't know. But I think there will be more of a wide open offense than a true off tackle rushing offense.