So what's the take on Obamanomics so far?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405..._LEFTTopStories

After "unprecedented" (my new favorite buzzword) legislation and over a year and a half of unfettered Obamanomics at work, this is the state we find ourselves in. What's your take?

An improvement over the last months of Bush for sure.

But I wonder what things would look like now if we hadn't had TARP. What if we went Libotarian/Retarded on the economy, what would things be like now?

Much too early to judge Obama's policies now, though I see the ignorant American public is so short sighted that they actually buy the Fox News crap that Obama started the rececession. Never underestimate the ignorance and amnesia of the American public.

But I wonder what things would look like now if we hadn't had TARP. What if we went Libotarian/Retarded on the economy, what would things be like now?

Much too early to judge Obama's policies now, though I see the ignorant American public is so short sighted that they actually buy the Fox News crap that Obama started the rececession. Never underestimate the ignorance and amnesia of the American public.

Can we at least be consistent within a given post?

You sound angry and bitter Dave. You're not a partisan hack, are you Dave?

Much too early to judge Obama's policies now, though I see the ignorant American public is so short sighted that they actually buy the Fox News crap that Obama started the recession. Never underestimate the ignorance and amnesia of the American public.

Amen to that. The economy is slowly improving, stock values are going up instead of down, financial institutions have stabilized, American car companies are recovering, and all this despite a Recovery Act that was too small, but was the most that they could get approved, and a continual effort by Republicans to put political theatre ahead of what's best for the economy. Of course it's little comfort for all the unemployed, of which I was one at the end of the Bush term but have been working for the past year. Since private companies are making profits but sitting on their cash reserves, it's left to the government to further stimulate job growth. We've seen the failure of trickle-down economics, hopefully voters will remember it was Bush and the Republican Congress that took a surplus to a deficit, enacted tax cuts for the wealthy without corresponding spending cuts, started an off-budget war in Iraq, and promoted less regulation for the financial and energy industries. That tiger won't change it's stripes.

Amen to that. The economy is slowly improving, stock values are going up instead of down, financial institutions have stabilized, American car companies are recovering, and all this despite a Recovery Act that was too small, but was the most that they could get approved, and a continual effort by Republicans to put political theatre ahead of what's best for the economy. Of course it's little comfort for all the unemployed, of which I was one at the end of the Bush term but have been working for the past year. Since private companies are making profits but sitting on their cash reserves, it's left to the government to further stimulate job growth. We've seen the failure of trickle-down economics, hopefully voters will remember it was Bush and the Republican Congress that took a surplus to a deficit, enacted tax cuts for the wealthy without corresponding spending cuts, started an off-budget war in Iraq, and promoted less regulation for the financial and energy industries. That tiger won't change it's stripes.

Hopefully voters will look at policies and events that caused deficits rather than just look at party affilitation like simpletons who want to have something to base their opinions on without having to be burdened with the task of educating themelves on the issues.

Typical libtard defense of your dumb ass president and his party. All you have is Bush is worse? Even if thats true big fuggin deal. So your ahole of a president grades out at a D- and Bush was a E. Congratulations. Bush wasn't conservative but your guy is a straight up marxist who is clearly unqualified to run a paper route let alone a government. Well, maybe he could do something with a paper route if he had his teleprompter telling him what to do.

I dont even think it is about economics per se, because I dont believe any honest person thought it would work. Arguing from that perspective makes you argue left vs right, something I would like to avoid. Government wanted more money and power. They created a reason, and then took it. Both parties were in on it. They have been doing it for a very long time.

Same thing with the savings and loan crisis of the eighties. They made bad rules on purpose, enriched certain people and companies hugely, and made us bail them out. It worked then, and it will work again.

...hopefully voters will remember it was Bush and the Republican Congress that took a surplus to a deficit, enacted tax cuts for the wealthy without corresponding spending cuts, started an off-budget war in Iraq, and promoted less regulation for the financial and energy industries. That tiger won't change it's stripes.

I think everyone realizes that things would be much better today if only Congress had been controlled by Democrats for the past six years.

Oh, wait...

Wow. Simply wow.

An improvement over the last months of Bush, but TARP was a good thing. Remind me of who came up with TARP and pushed the authorization through so that his successor wouldn't have to fight that political fight during his transition? And what has the Obama administration done to otherwise distinguish it's handling of the economic crisis?

You seem to approve of Obama's handling, so admit it: you approve of Bush's stewardship during the crisis too.

But I wonder what things would look like now if we hadn't had TARP.

You mean the short term financial sector stabilization program that was put in place in the Bush administration? The one where most of the non-government controlled entities paid back their loans at a profit?

Or are you talking about the bastard son of TARP, the ARRA which redistributed $860bn of wealth and saddled industry with new regulations and uncertainty that nobody is willing to take on additional risk, hire more people and expand production?

At least get the acronyms right.

You mean the short term financial sector stabilization program that was put in place in the Bush administration? The one where most of the non-government controlled entities paid back their loans at a profit?

Or are you talking about the bastard son of TARP, the ARRA which redistributed $860bn of wealth and saddled industry with new regulations and uncertainty that nobody is willing to take on additional risk, hire more people and expand production?

At least get the acronyms right.

He will never let facts get in the way of blaming Bush.

FUBO

Amen to that. The economy is slowly improving, stock values are going up instead of down, financial institutions have stabilized, American car companies are recovering, and all this despite a Recovery Act that was too smal {CHECK}l, but was the most that they could get approved, and a continual effort by Republicans to put political theatre ahead of what's best for the economy {CHECK}. Of course it's little comfort for all the unemployed, of which I was one at the end of the Bush {CHECK} term but have been working for the past year. Since private companies are making profits {CHECK} but sitting on their cash reserves, it's left to the government to further stimulate job growth. {CHECK} We've seen the failure of trickle-down economics, {CHECK} hopefully voters will remember it was Bush and the Republican Congress{CHECK} that took a surplus to a deficit, enacted tax cuts for the wealthy {CHECK} without corresponding spending cuts, started an off-budget war in Iraq, {CHECK} and promoted less regulation for the financial and energy industries. That tiger won't change it's stripes.

No mention of "Palin" or "Fox News", lose five points.

No accusations of "racism.", minus ten points.

Amen to that. The economy is slowly improving, stock values are going up instead of down Thanks Fed for blowing a QE bubble, financial institutions have stabilized Of course, fantasy accounting tricks always make thins look rosy, American car companies are recovering, After trashing centuries of secured transactions precedent, now why won't anyone lend again? and all this despite a Recovery Act that was too small, Needed more to pay off even more partisans but was the most that they could get approved, and a continual effort by Republicans to put political theatre ahead of what's best for the economy. Reps have advanced no credible solutions either Of course it's little comfort for all the unemployed, But lets extend benefits another 99 weeks, why not? , of which I was one at the end of the Bush term but have been working for the past year. Congrats, seriously Since private companies are making profits but sitting on their cash reserves, Profits, yes, but no top-line growth. Profits from cost cutting is not the same as revenue growth, which leads to job growth it's left to the government to further stimulate job growth. Thats what the first stimulus was supposed to do, not payoff partisans We've seen the failure of trickle-down economics It seemed to work OK under Reagan, Bush I and Clinton, all had versions of trickle down in their policies, hopefully voters will remember it was Bush and the Republican Congress that took a surplus to a deficit Don't push that whole surplus argument too far, raiding the SS trust fund and declaring a surplus is, at best, disingenuous , enacted tax cuts for the wealthy without corresponding spending cuts, Agreed. No tax cuts and lots of spending cuts would be great. started an off-budget war in Iraq, Horrible idea, agreed. and promoted less regulation for the financial and energy industries. Dems are just as responsible for deregulation as the Reps. That tiger won't change it's stripes.

My thoughts in bold above.

Please show me where there was a surplus under Clinton. I'll start you off with the proper site:

Debt to the Penny

Wow. Simply wow.

An improvement over the last months of Bush, but TARP was a good thing. Remind me of who came up with TARP and pushed the authorization through so that his successor wouldn't have to fight that political fight during his transition? And what has the Obama administration done to otherwise distinguish it's handling of the economic crisis?

You seem to approve of Obama's handling, so admit it: you approve of Bush's stewardship during the crisis too.

Yes! I think Bush was right to do what he did once we were in the crisis and I have already given a thumps up to Bush for the auto bailout. But the economy is better now than the last months of the Bush presidency. So shove your 'wow' right up your rear-end.

And to the part about "his sucessor," ummmm...no, the capitalist system was falling so fast even Bush saw it had to be saved by the government. Mission accomplished :thumbsup: