Great Jeff George article (link provided)

major

We know what the situation is here - we're going to pick up our franchise qb next year. So, with this year, I would certainly give a chance to a guy like Jeff George or Jeff Garcia, for instance. Assuming we could block marginally well for them, it wouldn't hurt, and it could help. I'd take either of those two and get rid of Fitzgerald. Why not? If they outperformed the others, give them a shot for a year, maybe two. Let them chase their dream and meanwhile mentor the younger guys. I'd love to see an older but healthy and capable QB be given the chance once more - Favre isn't the only old QB who can play. I'm especially convinced Jeff Garcia could pull it off. If I recall, he played pretty good right up until he stopped - without much of a decline.

I think the thing I miss most about Jeff George is that hysterically funny look he used to get on his face when he got under center and started making a pre-snap read on a defense he wasn't sure about. The man was completely and utterly dumbfounded more than any other QB I've ever seen and the visage was an absolute classic.

A buddy of mine used to call him "Ernest goes to the LOS". :lol:

The only QB on the roster I give a crap about keeping on the team is bad, bad Levi Brown. Screw the other three. I think it would be a much more interesting season to bring a guy like George in here for two years while we draft a stud next year and let him compete with Levi for reigns of the team. I'm sorry, but Trent Edwards wasn't prolific in college, and he won't ever be so in the NFL. He may be the least of three evils at the present time, but as far as I'm concerned we're just spinning our wheels for another year.

Hell, look at how much more interesting the season was with T.O. here last year. Sure, he ended up doing nothing, but at least it put us in the spotlight and made things interesting. We're not going to the SB this year....why not do something that keeps it interesting instead of pretending that Trent will ever amount to anything but a back-up caliber QB?

The only QB on the roster I give a crap about keeping on the team is bad, bad Levi Brown. Screw the other three. I think it would be a much more interesting season to bring a guy like George in here for two years while we draft a stud next year and let him compete with Levi for reigns of the team. I'm sorry, but Trent Edwards wasn't prolific in college, and he won't ever be so in the NFL. He may be the least of three evils at the present time, but as far as I'm concerned we're just spinning our wheels for another year.

Hell, look at how much more interesting the season was with T.O. here last year. Sure, he ended up doing nothing, but at least it put us in the spotlight and made things interesting. We're not going to the SB this year....why not do something that keeps it interesting instead of pretending that Trent will ever amount to anything but a back-up caliber QB?

So no building for the future with you, just entertain me a little now and same crap different season :lol: Brown and who ever they pick next year could both be busts and or take a long time to develop but you don't care about that aspect.

I'm still reserving judgment on Edwards, but I agree about protecting Brown. Either Fitz or Brohm need to be cut so we don't expose Brown on the PS.

We know what the situation is here - we're going to pick up our franchise qb next year. So, with this year, I would certainly give a chance to a guy like Jeff George or Jeff Garcia, for instance. Assuming we could block marginally well for them, it wouldn't hurt, and it could help. I'd take either of those two and get rid of Fitzgerald. Why not? If they outperformed the others, give them a shot for a year, maybe two. Let them chase their dream and meanwhile mentor the younger guys. I'd love to see an older but healthy and capable QB be given the chance once more - Favre isn't the only old QB who can play. I'm especially convinced Jeff Garcia could pull it off. If I recall, he played pretty good right up until he stopped - without much of a decline.

Jeff George??

This is a joke, just to get a reaction, right?

He will be 43 this season, never looked very good when he was younger, hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL in almost a decade, and was one of the worst leaders I have ever seen in this league.

Pretty funny, actually, as no one can be this ignorant.

Jeff George had a dollar arm and a penny brain. Being arrogant is one thing. But being arrogant and stupid is highly toxic. :lol:

He was dumber than a bag of chickens but I'd have given more than a dollar for that arm.

Crack is DEElicious!

So no building for the future with you, just entertain me a little now and same crap different season :lol: Brown and who ever they pick next year could both be busts and or take a long time to develop but you don't care about that aspect.

His point is that Edwards has zero potential, and we should build for the future by letting Brown learn for a year, and by drafiting a top prospect next season. This year, he wants to be entertained. Not what I would do, but the guy had a point.

I take a flyer on him what do we have to lose other than him at 40+ years old out playing the other guys. It's sorta like the Flutie Johnson competition. Rob needed to beat out a 38 year old 5foot 8 journeyman quarterback. Looked terrible when he couldn't do it.

Why not take a flyer on Jeff Garcia? He actually can play the position and wasn't laughed out of the NFL.

You Jeff George people are unreal. If he doesn't work out, who's next? Ryan Leaf? Joey Harrington? Let's trot out all the big gun arm types who have sucked in the last 20 years.