Rex: "Soon to be champs."

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never minded DJ's persona. Plenty of milque-toast coaches have won Superbowls. DJ just wasn't a good football coach.

BINGO!

And there is also a middle ground between milquetoast and blow-hard.

In general, I don't pay much attention to coach speak. But obnoxious braggadocio really gets on my nerves.

I like Rex Ryan. I like his persona as a coach. I liked his dad too. I think he has made the expectations of the franchise clear. I suspect he is statements are a little more calculated than we think. He speaks the players language, and is a very good coach as well.

Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time. --George S. Patton

boy a coach expressing high expectations from his team? No wonder they finished below us last season. We should beat the crap out of them this season as we are much more "realistic" in our expectations hoping for five wins.

Don't forget the words,

"When I walk out onto the field, I expect to win… I don't just hope to win, I expect to win…"

I like Rex Ryan. I like his persona as a coach. I liked his dad too. I think he has made the expectations of the franchise clear. I suspect he is statements are a little more calculated than we think. He speaks the players language, and is a very good coach as well.

My hunch is that, if he was HC of the Bills, all of these guys would be eating up the "blowhard" stuff with a fork and spoon. Look what happens when Buddy mumbles the most bland cliches.

Plenty of guys here felt DJ had that.

Say what???? DJ NEVER showed confidence.

"It's hard to win in the NFL." That's Dick Jauron. He was Steely-eyed, sure, but with him it was steely-eyed despair. DJ was tough enough to deal with losing like a man, but winning never seemed to cross his mind.

My hunch is that, if he was HC of the Bills, all of these guys would be eating up the "blowhard" stuff with a fork and spoon. Look what happens when Buddy mumbles the most bland cliches.

Right, similar to Bills fans with Donte. And when they don't come through they'll be calling for his head because of all the "blowhard" stuff, just like Donte.

I have to agree. We would LOVE him if he were the Bills coach. Players want to play hard for him and he sticks up for them. Frankly he may have indirectly caused the Revis problem for heaping so much praise on him at the end of the year last year. If Sanchez improves they are a legit SB contender with that defense and running game.

In general, I'd say that this board responds to the team's record. If the team is doing poorly, we (collectively) will attach ourselves to any theory in order to demonize the players and coaching staff. The opposite is true when the team is winning.

Remember how much everybody was in love with Jauron and Trent when we started 5-1 two seasons ago? The same exact qualities for which we now hate them, we adored them for back then.

Let's take Whitner as an example. Remember when he was the gym class hero because he tackled that Raider in the end zone, and we won the game to go 3-0? If he did the same thing while the team's record is 0-3, then he's an immature douche, right?

In general, I'd say that this board responds to the team's record. If the team is doing poorly, we (collectively) will attach ourselves to any theory in order to demonize the players and coaching staff. The opposite is true when the team is winning.

Remember how much everybody was in love with Jauron and Trent when we started 5-1 two seasons ago? The same exact qualities for which we now hate them, we adored them for back then.

Let's take Whitner as an example. Remember when he was the gym class hero because he tackled that Raider in the end zone, and we won the game to go 3-0? If he did the same thing while the team's record is 0-3, then he's an immature douche, right?

Nah, regardless.

I have to agree. We would LOVE him if he were the Bills coach. Players want to play hard for him and he sticks up for them. Frankly he may have indirectly caused the Revis problem for heaping so much praise on him at the end of the year last year. If Sanchez improves they are a legit SB contender with that defense and running game.

Therein lies the part that all of Ryan's horn-blowing can't fix:

- Sanchez looked awful last season

- that running game you reference left town

- that defense relies on Revis on an island

This is the captain speaking, please stay in your seats as we attempt an emergency water landing...

SPLOOSH!!! :thumbsup:

A Rex Ryan coached defense has never finished worse than 5th in the league. I'd say the man has a reason for his smack-talking.

Great Rex quote, "so we got a bullseye on our backs? That's OK, cause we're putting a bullseye on everybody else's chests"

What you say is factually true. However (and you'll correct me if I'm wrong), Ryan has ALWAYS had the good fortune of coaching very talented defensive players.

I'm not seeing any real evidence that he's "done more with less."

It's refreshing to see and hear a coach like Rex Ryan. I don't know much about the guy, nor am I a big fan (obviously not a Jets fan), but he pulled out a great season last year by his team. I like that he doesn't conform to the "Coaching Etiquette and Standards" that a lot of people think he needs to. I really enjoy seeing people get so worked up about cocky confident comments. What's the big deal? Lighten up people.

It's refreshing to see and hear a coach like Rex Ryan. I don't know much about the guy, nor am I a big fan (obviously not a Jets fan), but he pulled out a great season last year by his team. I like that he doesn't conform to the "Coaching Etiquette and Standards" that a lot of people think he needs to. I really enjoy seeing people get so worked up about cocky confident comments. What's the big deal? Lighten up people.

There is no big deal.

We hate the Jests and anything to do with them, particularly their blowhard Head Coach.

And we don't need to lighten up either. This is ritualized behavior.

It's like a teenager popping a zit.

Now do you understand?

BTW, I agree with the several people here who find Ryan's style to be a refreshing change from the norm. I can't wait to see the press conference when the Jests fire his ass and they hire the next loser coach.

There is no big deal.

We hate the Jests and anything to do with them, particularly their blowhard Head Coach.

And we don't need to lighten up either. This is ritualized behavior.

It's like a teenager popping a zit.

Now do you understand?

BTW, I agree with the several people here who find Ryan's style to be a refreshing change from the norm. I can't wait to see the press conference when the Jests fire his ass and they hire the next loser coach.

Trust me there is no love here for the Jets. But when someone says "that really gets on my nerves"...why? Because they went to the AFC Championship game and we didn't? Who cares what the guy is saying?

I'm a Football fan first, who happens to be a Bills fan.

I also laughed when people would get all bent out of shape about TO, until he came here.

it just cracks me up when people get so worked up about a guy they never met. Let it go.....you can be a Bills Fan and still not get offended when a division rival does or says something. If a Jets player/coach insults a Bills player/coach/fans, then I might understand that. But this comment he made.....so freaking what?

Yes, people should lighten up. How about getting excited about game day x2 vs the Jets? Not about what their coach says when he is stuffing his face.

It reminds me of people that convince themselves that they actually care about what Lindsay Lohan smokes/drinks/eat/says/wears.

What you say is factually true. However (and you'll correct me if I'm wrong), Ryan has ALWAYS had the good fortune of coaching very talented defensive players.

I'm not seeing any real evidence that he's "done more with less."

Well one could argue he did more with less last year and that was as a HC. His QB was one of the worst starters in the league last year and he took them to the AFC Championship game. With close to the same team the year before, Mangini missed the playoffs with Favre at QB. Rex got them not only into the playoffs but to the AFC Championship game despite having a rookie QB who was struggling.

Personally, I love his bravado. He is a real players coach and doesnt give a dam about what anyone thinks. I like that, and players like that...if I was a Jets fan I would love it too. And actually, I love it as a Bills fan too as it just adds to rivalry and the games.