Buddy's first BIG mistakeS

Wow...feeling a little punchy today, huh, gang?

Schobel was the pink elephant. Read Nevergiveups posts concerning Schobel. NGU obviously is a reliable source, and he had no flattering words for AS. All of the nut-riding fans that go on about his sacks, never get into how he looked to give minimum effort 75% of the time.

As insanely savvy as most message board posters are, Nix has proven to be dumb like a fox. I would be willing to bet that Nix didn't want Schobel, but you do have to show a certain amount of respect because he is a long-tenured vet on the team. You can't trash all veterans, or having veterans is a problem you will never have to be concerned with. This is what was going to happen to Schobel, and to act like you could have pulled off a trade is amusing.

Nix handled this the right way, and the missing blame in the CJ contract fiasco, is the agents. Nix isn't sitting face to face with CJ. He is a smart guy and I'm sure the offer is fair. The agents think they can get more for their client, which raises their value, both in the bank and as agents. Think about it. It's a negotiation, and the agents have the player, they are playing hardball, thinking they hold all of the cards.

It is still too soon to get all worked up about Spiller, this is why there isn't more talk. Trust me, if this carries on, we'll get an idea of what is going real soon.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The first BIG MISTAKE was assuming that Schobel was coming back. Buddy expected to get one more productive year out of Schobel as the teams primary pass rusher. Well that's not going to happen.

The second BIG MISTAKE was not having a backup plan and drafting a legit pass rusher. In the 1st round he passed on legit pass rushers like Morgan, Graham, Pierre Paul. In the 2nd round he passed on Kindle. In the later rounds, he passed on Griffen, Norwood and Sapp. Am I saying that all of them will be All Pros, NO! But they would've all contributed this year and the majority of them are better than anyone the Bills have at OLB.

When you look at the great 3-4's, it's all about the NT and the OLB's. Over the years, tandems like Woodley and Harrison and Timmons (Dominated the Cards Oline in the SB), Phillips and Merriman , Ware and Spencer, Porter and Taylor, Vrable and McGinest dominated opposing offensive lines and disrupted passing games.

Even teams who run a 4-3 understand that the NFL is a passing league and you need great pass rushers to get anywhere. The last 3 Super Bowls were played by teams who have Freeney/Mathis, Will Smith, Harrison/Wodley, Tuck/Mathias K/Osi/Strahan (And they just drafted Pierre Paul). Look at what Allen and Edwards do in Minny!!!!! Or the difference guys like Mathews and Dumerville make on their teams.

So what did Buddy do to improve what I think is the 2nd most important position (pass rusher wherever it comes from) in the NFL today? NOTHING! And now the Bills best pass rusher over the last decade is sick of the ineptitude that the Bills show year after year and says "no thanks" to 6 mill.

Good job Buddy! The Bills may not have anyone to rush the QB but they do have 3 solid RB's!! (And a terrible O-line to boot!) Isn't the NFL a passing league!?!?! Wouldn't it make sense to load up on pass rushers the way the Steelers do every year? Way to count on the dynamic duo of Maybin and Kelsay. Brady, Henne and Sanchez thank you!

LMAO at this lame rant that doesnt even make sense. One, they said they were prepared to move on with out Schobel, but if he would be welcomed back if he reported by camp. So, where do you get your idea that we were expecting to get one more good year out of him?

Second, WHO CARES ABOUT GETTING ONE MORE GOOD YEAR out of an aging vet when you are a rebuilding team in the first place. Schobel was NEVER going to make or break this team.

Third, did you not watch the draft? We drafted Carrington, plus already had Maybin in line as young prospects to replace him. And thus far, Maybin has been showing a lot of explosion in a lot reports in camp and Carrington has had nothing but rave reviews.

Fourth, Schobel self admited that he doesnt work hard in practice, in training, or the weight room. Thats not the kind of mentality and work ethic needed around our young talent.

Fifth, you have your panties in a wad over a missed opportunity to AT BEST get a very late round draft pick even if we could move him, which we probably cant anyway. No one was going to give up anything of real value for a guy who is on the fence about playing, has an $8 million dollar contract, is on the downside of his career (he said himself he lost a step in a recent interview), and has never played in the 3-4.

Finally, NIX GOT THIS RIGHT! He kept the door open, but Schobel chose to basically drag it out and avoid camp. Nix and Chan said no way...our guys are here working hard and earning a spot. So rather than wait for Schobel to pull his best Favre impression and miss camp, they made the decision for him. They are not going to be able to move him, so they just ended the saga now NOT MISSING OUT ON ANY PERCIEVED VALUE YOU WANT TO CREATE IN YOUR HEAD as there was no market for him.

I love how fans on here just assume we chose to get no value and didnt at least explore trade interest because so fool didnt tweet about it.

As insanely savvy as most message board posters are, Nix has proven to be dumb like a fox. I would be willing to bet that Nix didn't want Schobel, but you do have to show a certain amount of respect because he is a long-tenured vet on the team. You can't trash all veterans, or having veterans is a problem you will never have to be concerned with. This is what was going to happen to Schobel, and to act like you could have pulled off a trade is amusing.

Right on!

The first BIG MISTAKE was assuming that Schobel was coming back. Buddy expected to get one more productive year out of Schobel as the teams primary pass rusher. Well that's not going to happen.

The second BIG MISTAKE was not having a backup plan and drafting a legit pass rusher. In the 1st round he passed on legit pass rushers like Morgan, Graham, Pierre Paul. In the 2nd round he passed on Kindle. In the later rounds, he passed on Griffen, Norwood and Sapp. Am I saying that all of them will be All Pros, NO! But they would've all contributed this year and the majority of them are better than anyone the Bills have at OLB.

When you look at the great 3-4's, it's all about the NT and the OLB's. Over the years, tandems like Woodley and Harrison and Timmons (Dominated the Cards Oline in the SB), Phillips and Merriman , Ware and Spencer, Porter and Taylor, Vrable and McGinest dominated opposing offensive lines and disrupted passing games.

Even teams who run a 4-3 understand that the NFL is a passing league and you need great pass rushers to get anywhere. The last 3 Super Bowls were played by teams who have Freeney/Mathis, Will Smith, Harrison/Wodley, Tuck/Mathias K/Osi/Strahan (And they just drafted Pierre Paul). Look at what Allen and Edwards do in Minny!!!!! Or the difference guys like Mathews and Dumerville make on their teams.

So what did Buddy do to improve what I think is the 2nd most important position (pass rusher wherever it comes from) in the NFL today? NOTHING! And now the Bills best pass rusher over the last decade is sick of the ineptitude that the Bills show year after year and says "no thanks" to 6 mill.

Good job Buddy! The Bills may not have anyone to rush the QB but they do have 3 solid RB's!! (And a terrible O-line to boot!) Isn't the NFL a passing league!?!?! Wouldn't it make sense to load up on pass rushers the way the Steelers do every year? Way to count on the dynamic duo of Maybin and Kelsay. Brady, Henne and Sanchez thank you!

So if we are going to bash him for his supposid mistakes it is only fair to give him kudos for the smart decisions.....dont see too many people giving him credit for avoiding the Gaither situation. For that matter his handling of the Lynch situation may have been the best thing for the team as well........

If we had "other needs at the time" why not fill one of them? ...unless you think we had a "need" at RB?

We had a need for an offensive playmaker, and Spiller fit that according to draft reports, so we did still fill a need on draft day

Or those succesful teams know that having pass rushers is the most important thing after having a solid QB. And by your logic, isn't Spiller a luxury? I mean, FJ and Marshawn are good RB's.

they are good RB's, not disputing that at all, however we needed a playmaker, and he fit that bill, so nothing wrong with that pick

So if we are going to bash him for his supposid mistakes it is only fair to give him kudos for the smart decisions.....dont see too many people giving him credit for avoiding the Gaither situation. For that matter his handling of the Lynch situation may have been the best thing for the team as well........
The season hasn't started, it's far too early to really judge him yet. If his moves pan out, he'll get some well-deserved attaboys. If his moves blow up in his face, he'll get deservedly B word-slapped up and down this board.

It's never too early though to say :censored: Ralph. B-)

LMAO at this lame rant that doesnt even make sense. One, they said they were prepared to move on with out Schobel, but if he would be welcomed back if he reported by camp. So, where do you get your idea that we were expecting to get one more good year out of him?

Second, WHO CARES ABOUT GETTING ONE MORE GOOD YEAR out of an aging vet when you are a rebuilding team in the first place. Schobel was NEVER going to make or break this team.

Third, did you not watch the draft? We drafted Carrington, plus already had Maybin in line as young prospects to replace him. And thus far, Maybin has been showing a lot of explosion in a lot reports in camp and Carrington has had nothing but rave reviews.

Fourth, Schobel self admited that he doesnt work hard in practice, in training, or the weight room. Thats not the kind of mentality and work ethic needed around our young talent.

Fifth, you have your panties in a wad over a missed opportunity to AT BEST get a very late round draft pick even if we could move him, which we probably cant anyway. No one was going to give up anything of real value for a guy who is on the fence about playing, has an $8 million dollar contract, is on the downside of his career (he said himself he lost a step in a recent interview), and has never played in the 3-4.

Finally, NIX GOT THIS RIGHT! He kept the door open, but Schobel chose to basically drag it out and avoid camp. Nix and Chan said no way...our guys are here working hard and earning a spot. So rather than wait for Schobel to pull his best Favre impression and miss camp, they made the decision for him. They are not going to be able to move him, so they just ended the saga now NOT MISSING OUT ON ANY PERCIEVED VALUE YOU WANT TO CREATE IN YOUR HEAD as there was no market for him.

I love how fans on here just assume we chose to get no value and didnt at least explore trade interest because so fool didnt tweet about it.

Your reading comprehension, much like your spelling, is poor. Not once did I say they should have gotten anything for him. They should have planned for life without him and they didn't!

Let me try to spell it out for you (pun intended for BillyMadison7). WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO RUSH THE PASSER NOW THAT SCHOBEL IS GONE???

Maybin looks good in the first week of camp blowing by D Bell and the rest of the practice squders that the Bills throw out there a tackle....OOHHH JOOOY!!!!!!

Who is on the other side....Kelsay?? Now your stupid LMAO is appropriate here! Mitchell.......ummmm no! Batten...PLEASE!!!

I'm not saying that Schobel is a great pass rusher but he's the only one the Bills have. And hoping that Maybin is going to go from Clark Kent to Superman because he's playing OLB in a 3-4 is well...pure fantasy. He's playing behind a career journeyman in Torbor and while I've read that he looks quick, I've also read that he's getting bent in half against the run. And last time I checked, quickness doesn't equate to anything without technique, strength or size.

Carrington was a decent draft pick but to expect sacks out of a 3-4 end is more fantasy. Obviously he'll push the pocket and create better lanes for our OLB's... if the Bills had any...

AlphaDouche7, why didn't Buddy pull the trigger on Schobel 4 months ago if he didn't think he was going to play? Why did he leave the door open for him? I agree with you, he has no value. So what was the advantage to keeping him around if they were going to cut him anyway? I would really like you to answer this, but back it up with something other than pure conjecture.

They drafted maybin with the first pick last year. Got troup this year. Your arguement is meaningless

The first BIG MISTAKE was assuming that Schobel was coming back....

Wrong. Buddy never "assumed" Schoebel was coming back. How could he? Schoebel never even spoke to him. Let's face it, Nix knows he cannot fill every single hole on this team in one offseason and one draft, so he drafted other positions then pass rushing OLB's. Who cares? He did draft a big tackle and a big DE in rounds 2 and 3, and you know we need those two guys too! Spiller? You cannot lose by drafting a dynamic back like him if you have the chance. Once his idiot agent and he finally come to a contract agreement and he gets to practice , nobody, in my humble opinion, will regret Nix drafting this guy first in 2010.

The only "mistake" I think Nix is making regarding ingrate Schoebel, is to release him at all. He should make him sit out this entire season without pay, while he "decides to play of not"! B-)

Your reading comprehension, much like your spelling, is poor. Not once did I say they should have gotten anything for him. They should have planned for life without him and they didn't!

Let me try to spell it out for you (pun intended for BillyMadison7). WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO RUSH THE PASSER NOW THAT SCHOBEL IS GONE???

Maybin looks good in the first week of camp blowing by D Bell and the rest of the practice squders that the Bills throw out there a tackle....OOHHH JOOOY!!!!!!

Who is on the other side....Kelsay?? Now your stupid LMAO is appropriate here! Mitchell.......ummmm no! Batten...PLEASE!!!

I'm not saying that Schobel is a great pass rusher but he's the only one the Bills have. And hoping that Maybin is going to go from Clark Kent to Superman because he's playing OLB in a 3-4 is well...pure fantasy. He's playing behind a career journeyman in Torbor and while I've read that he looks quick, I've also read that he's getting bent in half against the run. And last time I checked, quickness doesn't equate to anything without technique, strength or size.

Carrington was a decent draft pick but to expect sacks out of a 3-4 end is more fantasy. Obviously he'll push the pocket and create better lanes for our OLB's... if the Bills had any...

AlphaDouche7, why didn't Buddy pull the trigger on Schobel 4 months ago if he didn't think he was going to play? Why did he leave the door open for him? I agree with you, he has no value. So what was the advantage to keeping him around if they were going to cut him anyway? I would really like you to answer this, but back it up with something other than pure conjecture.

I love how you live up to your last name in every post...

Anyway, I will answer your question as it is pretty obvious and clear (and even been said by Nix publicly), so I assume thats why you dont see it. Nix left the door open to him to play for 2 reasons. One, he can still play, maybe not to the level he once did, but he still has value when on the field. Two, and most importantly, he was good player for this team for a long time and already under contract and the team showed respect for that. There was NO REASON to cut him if he was going to show up to camp and play.

Nix even said publicly that IF he showed up to camp the door was open to him for a return. And lets be honest here, judging by Schobels comments this seems a heck of a lot more about him trying to find a way to skip as much of camp as possible alla Brett Favre. Nix and company were not having it and even publicly said that the other guys are in here working hard (and also showing a lot of promise) learning the NEW system. Lets not forget Schobel has never played in a 3-4.

So, the door was open to a long time good player for this team to return as long as he was willing to come in and work like the rest of the team. When that wasnt going to happen, they moved on.

PS: They are not going to fill every hole on this team in one draft! They went out and added a lot of promising young talent to this team, and Carrington thus far is looking like he could be a real contributor early.

This year is in the toilet.

Management must be thinking 2-3 years down the road.Schobel who will be 33 shortly, wouldn't have helped that.

In 2-3 yrs, Spiller will be a stud.

In all seriousness, do you believe RW is looking 2-3 years down the road? Because if they're not winning now (after 10 non-playoff seasons) then what's the point? The stadium lease is up after the 2012 season.

Agree completely,... Maybin can't just be dismissed based on last year. We have to see what he has...

You're right. We have to wait till the end of 2010 to say what many have been saying all along. Maybin is a punk and a piss poor player.

I love how you live up to your last name in every post...

Anyway, I will answer your question as it is pretty obvious and clear (and even been said by Nix publicly), so I assume thats why you dont see it. Nix left the door open to him to play for 2 reasons. One, he can still play, maybe not to the level he once did, but he still has value when on the field. Two, and most importantly, he was good player for this team for a long time and already under contract and the team showed respect for that. There was NO REASON to cut him if he was going to show up to camp and play.

Nix even said publicly that IF he showed up to camp the door was open to him for a return. And lets be honest here, judging by Schobels comments this seems a heck of a lot more about him trying to find a way to skip as much of camp as possible alla Brett Favre. Nix and company were not having it and even publicly said that the other guys are in here working hard (and also showing a lot of promise) learning the NEW system. Lets not forget Schobel has never played in a 3-4.

So, the door was open to a long time good player for this team to return as long as he was willing to come in and work like the rest of the team. When that wasnt going to happen, they moved on.

PS: They are not going to fill every hole on this team in one draft! They went out and added a lot of promising young talent to this team, and Carrington thus far is looking like he could be a real contributor early.

So what you are saying is that you agree with my original post. Buddy thought and was counting on Schobel coming back. Schobel decided that he doesn't want to be here. Buddy did not plan for this and it's so freeking obvious.

So what's the problem with my post other than the fact that you have the reading comprehension of a 5th grader? Are you happy with Kelsay, Maybin, Batten and Mitchell being your primary pass rushers? I know Brady, Sanchez and Henne have to be.

We had a need for an offensive playmaker, and Spiller fit that according to draft reports, so we did still fill a need on draft day

Absolute 100% bull ****.

I am not a big fan of the Spiller pick. But I understand that Nix picked who he thought was the best available player still left. I may not care for it, but I understand why he did it. To say that RB is a position of need on this team with glaring needs almost everywhere except RB because there is a need for a "offensive playmaker" is so ridiculous it is laughable.

Tell me "best available" or "we will need a stud RB in 3 years after the rebuild" and I am with you. But I cannot stomach "we filled a offensive playmaker position of need".

Ok, rant mode off. I just hate rationalization.

It's not going to happen in one year no matter how much we want it to. The key is to just get good players every chance you can with no regard for position. I am a big best available player proponent, but tackle is becoming an area of extreme need for this team.