ESPN Insider: Inside Bills Running Back Logjam

goynahan

could we convert lynch into a LT?

either way, if we have 4 good backs, that just keeps making this seem even better. Just run until the defense breaks, then put a fresh back in there and keep running.

Crush them like Barry Word / Christian Okoye. <_<

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The BILLS sprinted to the podium to take a player we couldn't afford to take. They should have traded down, took Bulaga or another 1st round OT in the teens and picked up another 3rd or 4th rounder. If we started the season with Fred, Marshawn and Bell as our running backs, had Bulaga to shore up our miserable tackle situation ands threw in an extra pick at OLB we'd be way ahead of were we are now. The only reason they took Spiller was to sell tickets as he may become the only exciting player on a boring team. Unfortunately we need a strong foundation more than fancy windows.

Bulaga at #9 would have been a reach for a RT IMHO. I wanted Brandon Graham but the FO going with Spiller and not reaching for a need shows me they are building for the future by aquiring real talent.

Numerous posts are mentioning a trade down. That is not something you can just do at will. You have to make a team think they aren't gonna get their guy unless they move up to your spot, and then you have to get good value in the trade offer. Plus, why wouldn't a team with no homerun threats nab one when they get the opportunity? They get possibly the 2nd or 3rd best player in the entire draft at 9 instead of reaching for a guy that's barely worth being picked in the top 20.

Bulaga at #9 would have been a reach for a RT IMHO. I wanted Brandon Graham but the FO going with Spiller and not reaching for a need shows me they are building for the future by aquiring real talent.

Never said Bulaga at #9. I said trade down into the teens for an OT and get ourselves another pick. Of course you have to find a willing partner but that'll never happen if you sprint to the podium.

The BILLS sprinted to the podium to take a player we couldn't afford to take.

Without knowing how he produces on the field, it's premature to speculate. And Spiller was arguably the most electric player in the draft.

They used foundation on rounds 2 and 3, and those players look good. And don't forget about the FA pick-ups...Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis. You can't fix everything at once.

Its nice to have at least 1 position where we are loaded,... Too much complaining about Spiller.

After 1 play we could be down to 2 good backs. Depth is key to building..... Remember( I know its a longtime ago) when we were good. We had depth at all positions,....and when guys went down, we plugged in another guy.

8-8 this year

Its nice to have at least 1 position where we are loaded,... Too much complaining about Spiller.

I don't think there will be too much complaining after Spiller scores his first TD. I hope the FO gives Spiller the ball in space as much as possible and let his natural abilites do the talking. We'll be happy we have him as a great option instead of a 'logjam' at RB.

The BILLS sprinted to the podium to take a player we couldn't afford to take. They should have traded down, took Bulaga or another 1st round OT in the teens and picked up another 3rd or 4th rounder. If we started the season with Fred, Marshawn and Bell as our running backs, had Bulaga to shore up our miserable tackle situation ands threw in an extra pick at OLB we'd be way ahead of were we are now. The only reason they took Spiller was to sell tickets as he may become the only exciting player on a boring team. Unfortunately we need a strong foundation more than fancy windows.

Last year we should have taken either Orakpo or Oher. This year we should have taken a 1st round OT by trading back and getting extra picks. This organization has consistently F'd up 1st round picks. They miss twice as often as hits and wonder why we suck! The past 2 years I have screamed NOOOOOOOO when they made their first pick. I am starting to question those who reply "They are professionals and know more than the fans". Really? I know that my 1st round picks the past several years are better than theirs. The only one I missed was Woods and I doubt many fans called that one. I am very tired of their first round blunders. Now Spiller may turn out to be special but he's still a luxury given our RB situation. I have been saying this for 2 years-Our OT's are killing this team and we continue to fail to address it. After watching our OT's implode last year I knew they would HAVE to do something about it either in FA or the Draft....NOTHING.

As much as I love the BILLS I will be laughing when their miserable OT's kill them again for a second straight year, and even then I bet they do nothing again next year because they know more than the fans who follow this team and watch them religously.

Man, give it a rest already. The draft was 3 months ago. whats done is done and all your bi-atching isn't going to change a damn thing. It really is time to move on and except what they have done whether you like it or not. Bell could turn out to be a darn good tackle for all that any of us know. and then maybe the spiller pic won't look so bad. and as some other posters said, rb cetainly could have been considered a need with freddie almost 30 and marshawn one blunt away from a suspension.

The only thing I agree with you is last year we could of had Oher. hated the Maybin pic. Hopefully he'll turn out to not be a waste.

Never said Bulaga at #9. I said trade down into the teens for an OT and get ourselves another pick. Of course you have to find a willing partner but that'll never happen if you sprint to the podium.

Do you honestly think that these people aren't on the phone PRIOR to the pic? If someone wanted the # 9 pic it would have been done before the Bills were on the clock.

Would you classify Spiller as "serviceable?"

I would say no based on what I have heard. But I need more than serviceable from a #9 pick. If we traded down and got two players at positions of need, we would be better as a team and any shortfall at the backup RB position could be filled with an UDFA or cast-off.

Do you really not get my point or are you just playing with me ?

Must be nice to know the future before it happens.

Hindsight is 20/20

Last year we should have taken either Orakpo or Oher. This year we should have taken a 1st round OT by trading back and getting extra picks. This organization has consistently F'd up 1st round picks. They miss twice as often as hits and wonder why we suck! The past 2 years I have screamed NOOOOOOOO when they made their first pick. I am starting to question those who reply "They are professionals and know more than the fans". Really? I know that my 1st round picks the past several years are better than theirs. The only one I missed was Woods and I doubt many fans called that one. I am very tired of their first round blunders. Now Spiller may turn out to be special but he's still a luxury given our RB situation. I have been saying this for 2 years-Our OT's are killing this team and we continue to fail to address it. After watching our OT's implode last year I knew they would HAVE to do something about it either in FA or the Draft....NOTHING.

As much as I love the BILLS I will be laughing when their miserable OT's kill them again for a second straight year, and even then I bet they do nothing again next year because they know more than the fans who follow this team and watch them religously.

Could it possibly be that we took Spiller not for a need this year, but for the long term vision of our new front office?

You are correct. I know people were upset about not getting a LT or QB this draft. but at 9 Spiller was the best player by far. Jackson is a good back, not great. Lynch is Lynch. I really have no clue. He can look great and also look like he has no clue where to run.

Spiller is the type of game changer that Buffalo hasnt had forever. Maybe a team has a few injuries and the Bills then can take advantage of the situation. Buffalo would then have another 3rd or maybe 2nd rounder to play with

I know I am re-hashing an oft-debated item, but if Bell ends up playing well, it will add to an already strong stable of RBs including Jackson and Lynch. Which further re-inforces the question about why we used our #9 to draft a RB. For those wondering what my position is - I would have traded down if there was no player we liked at #9.

How is there a single person that still doesn't know that trading out of a top 10 spot is incredibly difficult under the current system?

A drunk lady jumped in front of his car, he hangs out with the wrong crowd, and now he's a convict and a bum, or one mistake away from 1 year suspension?? Not so fast...you're being too hard on the guy.

2 1K yard seasons, a pro bowl, and he's 24 years old!!! Gailey will see the light.

Improve the line and he is a #1 back!!! He drags people, runs hard, finishes at the goal line -- he just needs to improve catching balls out of the backfield. He will. You will all see the light. I wear my jersey proud.

BEAST MODE!!!

I know I am re-hashing an oft-debated item, but if Bell ends up playing well, it will add to an already strong stable of RBs including Jackson and Lynch. Which further re-inforces the question about why we used our #9 to draft a RB. For those wondering what my position is - I would have traded down if there was no player we liked at #9.

Well, that would only apply if the Bills KNEW they would get Bell and KNEW he would impress. Two things they probably did NOT know when they picked Spiller. When they actually had to draft CJ they had Fred and Marshawn. Fred is a competent back, but hardly a game breaker or an elite RB. Marshawn may or may not be that great back, but you might imagine why they might have concerns about Lynch. He stunk last year, and he has a history of issues. Many weren't sure he would show up for camp.

So, faced with picking the most dynamic offensive player in the draft, or taking a shot on reaching to fill a need, or trade down for a player you didn't like enough to take at #9, the Bills choose the weapon.

What would you rather have: a tough decision to make at RB or be in camp with Fred and a bunch of "who's that", with Spiller playing for another team? I know where I stand on that.

I would say no based on what I have heard. But I need more than serviceable from a #9 pick. If we traded down and got two players at positions of need, we would be better as a team and any shortfall at the backup RB position could be filled with an UDFA or cast-off.

Do you really not get my point or are you just playing with me ?

No, I didn't get your point. Spiller isn't a serviceable RB: he's supposed to be a multi-dimensional home-run hitter. Bell could be potentially called a serviceable RB, but that's still unproven. But Deano explains things nicely:

Well, that would only apply if the Bills KNEW they would get Bell and KNEW he would impress. Two things they probably did NOT know when they picked Spiller. When they actually had to draft CJ they had Fred and Marshawn. Fred is a competent back, but hardly a game breaker or an elite RB. Marshawn may or may not be that great back, but you might imagine why they might have concerns about Lynch. He stunk last year, and he has a history of issues. Many weren't sure he would show up for camp.

So, faced with picking the most dynamic offensive player in the draft, or taking a shot on reaching to fill a need, or trade down for a player you didn't like enough to take at #9, the Bills choose the weapon.

What would you rather have: a tough decision to make at RB or be in camp with Fred and a bunch of "who's that", with Spiller playing for another team? I know where I stand on that.

No, I didn't get your point. Spiller isn't a serviceable RB: he's supposed to be a multi-dimensional home-run hitter. Bell could be potentially called a serviceable RB, but that's still unproven. But Deano explains things nicely:

Bell is unproven and so is Spiller. As we are in the speculative world right now, I would like to believe we could have traded down and acquired another pick. But Dean does make some good arguments but I stand by my opposition to picking a RB with our top pick this year and would love to be proven wrong.