Jared Gaither battles health problems

Last year Gaither battled foot and neck problems.

This year, he reported 29 pounds below his playing weight of last year, suffered another foot injury, and has had back pains.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/...,0,979506.story

Great news! maybe they'll take only a 2nd rounder for him. Git'r dun, Buddy!

PTR

Where are all the people who screamed we should trade for Gaither? All I hear now is crickets.

PTR

I'm hearing them too! Anytime a guy drops 30 pounds you gotta wonder if he's "stopped" taking something and not just what's ailing him. Either way, what a nightmare it would have been if Buddy listened to all the hand wringers screaming for a Gaither trade.

Where are all the people who screamed we should trade for Gaither? All I hear now is crickets.

PTR

Guilty as charged. I wanted the Gaither trade to happen all the way. Not too proud to say ... I'm glad it didn't happen.

Let's see what his issue is before we write him off. You're talking about a very talented player who could solve our LT for the long-term, let's not be judgemental yet.

You're right, time will tell what the problem with Giather is, if there is any.

But you have to admit that the extremist fan view of trading now for A or B or forever be doomed is, to say the least, a simplistic view of things.

But you have to admit that the extremist fan view of trading now for A or B or forever be doomed is, to say the least, a simplistic view of things.

Agreed but he is proven commodity at the LT position, which is something we sorely lack.

Agreed but he is proven commodity at the LT position, which is something we sorely lack.

No doubt we lack a poven LT but I think the system and playcalling will help mask the deficiencies in the OL and QB. It's tall order I know but it can be done to a point of having positive results.

No doubt we lack a poven LT but I think the system and playcalling will help mask the deficiencies in the OL and QB. It's tall order I know but it can be done to a point of having positive results.

That won't get us to the playoffs, it will only put a bandage on a open vein. With the proper protection and the time to throw, Trent will do us just fine for now.

PTR

Guilty as charged. I wanted the Gaither trade to happen all the way. Not too proud to say ... I'm glad it didn't happen.

In fairness, no one could foresee the emergence of these medical problems.

Obviously the people who wanted to trade for Gaither made the assumption that he was relatively healthy, not relatively unhealthy.

So really, this recent turn of events shouldn't reflect on opinions that were held weeks ago.

PTR

I am one of those people. If Buddy/Bills FO didn't pull the trigger on Gaither because they knew he had serious health issues, kudos to them.

But it doesn't excuse entering 2010 with the tackles currently on the roster. This team doesn't even have two people you can pencil in at starter at tackle FFS. And the people competing are Meredith, Chambers, Bell...a parade of nobodies.

I like what Buddy and Chan are doing but this team's tackles are frightening.

I am one of those people. If Buddy/Bills FO didn't pull the trigger on Gaither because they knew he had serious health issues, kudos to them.

But it doesn't excuse entering 2010 with the tackles currently on the roster. This team doesn't even have two people you can pencil in at starter at tackle FFS. And the people competing are Meredith, Chambers, Bell...a parade of nobodies.

I like what Buddy and Chan are doing but this team's tackles are frightening.

Didn't you just answer your own question? Maybe, just maybe, all the available LTs had issues of some sort?

PTR

Obviously the people who wanted to trade for Gaither made the assumption that he was relatively healthy, not relatively unhealthy.

So really, this recent turn of events shouldn't reflect on opinions that were held weeks ago.

Yes. making assumptions is what we do.

PTR

This guy may have some sort of serious illness and your first reaction is "Thank God we didn't trade for him." Jeez, grow some humanity.

If it turns out to be that he's slacking or something minor, plenty of time to gloat. In the meantime, though, you folks are coming across like ghouls.

Yes, they should because any logical person would realize that more information was in the hands of people making this decision than what was available on this board. It was bad idea and it has been shown as such.

It's not the end of people's lives that they wanted to see a deal happen that was a dud. We've all wanted deals that ultimately would have been bad moves.

PTR

Yes, they should because any logical person would realize that more information was in the hands of people making this decision than what was available on this board. It was bad idea and it has been shown as such.

It's not the end of people's lives that they wanted to see a deal happen that was a dud. We've all wanted deals that ultimately would have been bad moves.

Right, Jeremy.

Those people who weeks ago were pushing for a Gaither trade (I was not one of them) wanted the Bills to trade for damaged goods (sarcasm).

The people who wanted to trade for Gaither held that desire based upon the belief that he was relatively healthy.

Moreover, if they'd known he wasn't healthy, they wouldn't have wanted to trade for him.

I didn't study logic in college but I'm not understanding what you're saying.

We base our opinions on what we know, not on what we don't know.

Right, Jeremy.

Those people who weeks ago were pushing for a Gaither trade (I was not one of them) wanted the Bills to trade for damaged goods (sarcasm).

The people who wanted to trade for Gaither held that desire based upon the belief that he was relatively healthy.

Moreover, if they'd known he wasn't healthy, they wouldn't have wanted to trade for him.

I didn't study logic in college but I'm not understanding what you're saying.

We base our opinions on what we know, not on what we don't know.

The first thing that one should consider is what he/she doesn't know. That is confusing for some, but very important.

It is ok, if you can on the board screaming to "Get it done, Buddy!" That's fine. You didn't have all of the information, which leads all of the experts to say Nix is an idiot, and on and on. They didn't consider there was more to the story, other than the fact that they heard he was available, so they figured that their knee-jerk should be Buddy's.

The facts start to roll in, and then you have to stick up for what you were screaming for a week ago. Obviously nobody would want to trade value for "damaged goods," but the people screaming for a trade didn't even consider it. They just called everybody in the FO out for failing them again.

It's ok. You can do what you do, and there's no harm in it. It is just a good thing you don't call the shots for the team, and that the people that do, are armed with facts, or leery of what they aren't being told or don't know.

The first thing that one should consider is what he/she doesn't know. That is confusing for some, but very important.

It is ok, if you can on the board screaming to "Get it done, Buddy!" That's fine. You didn't have all of the information, which leads all of the experts to say Nix is an idiot, and on and on. They didn't consider there was more to the story, other than the fact that they heard he was available, so they figured that their knee-jerk should be Buddy's.

The facts start to roll in, and then you have to stick up for what you were screaming for a week ago. Obviously nobody would want to trade value for "damaged goods," but the people screaming for a trade didn't even consider it. They just called everybody in the FO out for failing them again.

It's ok. You can do what you do, and there's no harm in it. It is just a good thing you don't call the shots for the team, and that the people that do, are armed with facts, or leery of what they aren't being told or don't know.

You seem to understand Jeremy's post better than I.

To clarify, I was not clamoring for a Gaither trade. I was defending those that did.

Also I should tell you that it's not clear who you are talking about when you say "you." I'll assume you are not talking about me.

Finally, it seems as if you and Jeremy are addressing those posters who performed character assassination on Buddy Nix in the wake of the team, not acquiring Gaither.

That is a distinct group from those posters who simply expressed a desire to trade for Gaither.

I'm hearing them too! Anytime a guy drops 30 pounds you gotta wonder if he's "stopped" taking something and not just what's ailing him. Either way, what a nightmare it would have been if Buddy listened to all the hand wringers screaming for a Gaither trade.

Maybe he's sick to his stomach because he lost his left tackle position!

You seem to understand Jeremy's post better than I.

To clarify, I was not clamoring for a Gaither trade. I was defending those that did.

Also I should tell you that it's not clear who you are talking about when you say "you." I'll assume you are not talking about me.

Finally, it seems as if you and Jeremy are addressing those posters who performed character assassination on Buddy Nix in the wake of the team, not acquiring Gaither.

That is a distinct group from those posters who simply expressed a desire to trade for Gaither.

I think you're not understanding on purpose so you can setup up a strawman to knock down.

It's simple. If you're incorrect then you're incorrect. We can go through and quote people on both sides of any issue. That's intellectually dishonest. An effective way to debate, but really nothing more than an easy way to help that whole strawman.

However, I'll continue the conversation. There were plenty of people reacting quite strongly to Gaither and the reported price of a 2nd round pick.

My point is that it was reasonable to assume that there were factors that fans/reporters would not be aware of that would affect the situation. It's much more reasonable to assume that there are factors going into such decisions made every day that fans/media will never know or even guess than to assume that "EVERYONE HATES BUFFALO" or "THE BILLS ARE SO PATHETIC THEY CAN'T EVEN MAKE A TRADE".

There's players I would like to see here that I think would be great additions. There have been players in the past that I thought would be excellent moves (Hellllo Dockery) and heralded the moves to the high heavens.

I was wrong. After several months of intensive therapy, electric shocks, and many nights weeping on the bathroom floor I got over it. There's no need to pretend that "There's no way I could have known". It's common sense that my ability to judge players is not 100% accurate and that even if I was infallible that I have to have the appropriate information to make a decision.

So to re-iterate: Common Sense tells you that you are not privvy to all the information involved in these decisions. Well, at least it tells me that. It might tell you something else entirely.

So Buddy apparently knew that Gaither had health problems before the Ravens or anyone else in the league did?

Get serious. He didn't know about the health probs any more than anyone else did. He had his reasons but there was no way that this was one of them, unless he's got hidden cameras in Gaither's house.

And just how does a "proven" left tackle help our team when he is standing next to our clipboard toting backup qb in sweats with 47 pounds of bling around his neck? Will the rest of the regional viewing area, since we likely won't be anatioanlly televised game this year, be somehow impressed?

A player needs to be on the field to make a difference. Otherwise, he is no more effective than "Guitar Elvis."

Gaither isn't the problem nor is he the solution. The Ravens themselves weren't even aware of his health issues during the time he was discussed as one of the possible solutions for what is the real problem.

Let me reiterate the problem for the Bills: The offensive line-LT/RT and quality reserves.

All options should have been being considered and where appropriate acted upon. They weren't.

I think you're not understanding on purpose so you can setup up a strawman to knock down.

It's simple. If you're incorrect then you're incorrect. We can go through and quote people on both sides of any issue. That's intellectually dishonest. An effective way to debate, but really nothing more than an easy way to help that whole strawman.

However, I'll continue the conversation. There were plenty of people reacting quite strongly to Gaither and the reported price of a 2nd round pick.

My point is that it was reasonable to assume that there were factors that fans/reporters would not be aware of that would affect the situation. It's much more reasonable to assume that there are factors going into such decisions made every day that fans/media will never know or even guess than to assume that "EVERYONE HATES BUFFALO" or "THE BILLS ARE SO PATHETIC THEY CAN'T EVEN MAKE A TRADE".

There's players I would like to see here that I think would be great additions. There have been players in the past that I thought would be excellent moves (Hellllo Dockery) and heralded the moves to the high heavens.

I was wrong. After several months of intensive therapy, electric shocks, and many nights weeping on the bathroom floor I got over it. There's no need to pretend that "There's no way I could have known". It's common sense that my ability to judge players is not 100% accurate and that even if I was infallible that I have to have the appropriate information to make a decision.

So to re-iterate: Common Sense tells you that you are not privvy to all the information involved in these decisions. Well, at least it tells me that. It might tell you something else entirely.

To the bolded part of your post, why the hell would I "setup a straw man to knock him down?"

And what's this about being "intellectually dishonest?"

Through my posts here do I appear to be a dishonest person to you?

My point is a lot simpler and easier to understand than your point.

I, like others, am saying that there's no way we (TSW posters) or the Bills could know that there was a health problem…particularly evidenced by the fact that the Ravens didn't know there was a health problem.

But perhaps in my simple-minded dishonesty, I'm failing to grasp your intellectually superior concepts.