Kelly's Memoirs - Your Opinion Please

Guest three3

I made this point 10,000 times when Vick talks about his mistakes and people tell me I need to be more forgiving for his mistakes. Steve Johnson vs. Steelers: Mistake. Favre texting Johnson: No mistake.

Really? It's a species-wide narcissism that has us always so convinced that the end is near while we're alive. Jesus's early followers figured he'd be back any day...year...decade...century...time proves only everyone wrong. But I'm sure you're the guy who has it right. You and Nostradumbass.

all-pro take right there

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It never ceases to amaze me how people so cavalierly discount and even mock the existence of God and Christ. The truth of the matter is that you have absolutely no more certainty that Jesus does not exist than I do that He does. To just close off your mind and go on just assuming you know the truth seems foolish to me.

I understand the resentment and frustration with fundamentalists...I really do. But just because man screws something up or misapplies their faith doesn't invalidate the existence of God. People keep an open mind about things and even change their opinions on everything from food to music over time, yet when it comes to the creator they just magically KNOW one way or the other. It's a point of view that simply cannot be taken seriously, IMO.

Excellent point! The 'Atheist Scale': 1 to 7, where 1 is complete belief/live your life for 'God' to 7 -complete fabrication, created by the science community and encompassing virtually everyone in the 'community', has them all @ #6. Can't prove the exisistence. Can't disprove.

Kinda hard to disprove what isn't there..

Agreed!! We need to get over Kelly - I am so sick of hearing about him. To tell the truth I started forgetting about him the day Reich played Houston.

You are forgetful about the 1988 thru 1993 seasons. Kelly was the reason they made the playoffs all those years. All fall short of the glory of GOD. That is why he sent his son, JESUS, so that we can be forgiven of our sins.

Edited by bisonbrigade

I'm not a Christian, but I don't object to Jim telling the story of how he overcame self-destructive behavior and a very painful tragedy. It doesn't seem crass, or a money grab, or anything like that.

I agree. I for one am a Christian. Dont worry I dont go around preeching my belifs on anyone. I respect peoples privacy and their own beliefs. What I can say is that when Jills book came out, I could not find it in any brand name book store.

In fact, I had to go out of town to a Christian store before I found it.

I agree that I dont think its a money grab by the Kelly's. I also respect the fact that Jim let his wife publish the details of their troubled relationship. I know she could have anyway but it shows Jim's new level of respect for family and love.

I thought it was a great story. I have to admit that it was hard to read during the chapters detailing Hunters last days.

It gives me a new level of respect for everyone who is or has been affected from Krabbe disease.

Edited by figoferreira

#1- Jim Kelly was a dog. his infidelities are legendary. there are so many stories i could tell....suffice it to say, he was aggresive in his pursuit and there were many a willing lady to satisfy. from an RV in his driveway to his own nightclub...it was easy pickings.

#2- Jill is a saint....

#3- i'm sure the book is therapeutic for them.......for me, it is very sad.

#4- if they are able to come out of this with a renewed and more meaningful relationship....good for them.

Agreed!! We need to get over Kelly - I am so sick of hearing about him. To tell the truth I started forgetting about him the day Reich played Houston.

We need to get over Kelly? Are you serious? I'm trying to get over the last decade. This guy has stayed true to Buffalo and defines everything that is Buffalo Bills football. Go lay down.

Excellent point! The 'Atheist Scale': 1 to 7, where 1 is complete belief/live your life for 'God' to 7 -complete fabrication, created by the science community and encompassing virtually everyone in the 'community', has them all @ #6. Can't prove the exisistence. Can't disprove.

Kinda hard to disprove what isn't there..

Actually, the belief in God among "the science community" is pretty high. Link. I've seen other polls that put the number in the mid-60%s. A good deal of the rest are simply agnostic, not atheist. There's a certain segment of religious zealots that enjoy saying 'SCIENCE BAD! / SCIENTISTS GODLESS!' so much that they and others start to believe their own words.

Is it the Evolution / Creationism thing? Because a lot of actual scientists --- even Darwin himself, according to the article --- are able to believe in evolution and believe that God created the universe. Mind you, they might not bag on Biblical Creationism / Garden of Eden, but that is a myth by definition. No one was there to record those events; it's an old story of how humanity came to be, that has been proven scientifically false. Doesn't mean they deny the existence of God, just human beings' interpretations of God's methods. Their belief would probably be traced back to the Big Bang and what caused that, where the molecules came from, as their own version of Genesis.

Me likey this topic! The Bills glory years and my stint in Christianity coincide. Religion is cool for those who NEED it. Personally, i was baptized Catholic but shortly after my first communion my parents divorced and church ended. In high school the bible study peeps befriended me and by all accounts they were good people. a local pastor who was one of the youth group leaders even "saved" me. then asked if i felt any thing. I lied. from the begining back in catholic school, this story seemed pretty far fetched. additionally, look at the shady characters who sell the biblical bs. no thank you, creeps. please note, not all religious leaders local, national, or otherwise are bad, just most.

Here is my take.

Mary was supposed to merry joseph, but was a little loose. Joseph, had not slept with her and when he found out she was prego, wanted to believe the cockamamie story mary told him but he could not. He stormed out distraught, and went on a bender and had a crazy dream where "God" spoke to him and assured him that mary was immaculately conceived.

No one would buy this story that Christianity sells if it were to all go down today. well, almost no body.

South Park has a good take on the Mormon religion,it actually aired last night, that could pretty much be adapted to any.

So for those that want to believe in an immaculately conceived zombie, more power to you.

Mary was supposed to merry joseph, but was a little loose. Joseph, had not slept with her and when he found out she was prego, wanted to believe the cockamamie story mary told him but he could not. He stormed out distraught, and went on a bender and had a crazy dream where "God" spoke to him and assured him that mary was immaculately conceived....

No one would buy this story that Christianity sells if it were to all go down today. well, almost no body.

I know many carpenters. I know NO carpenters who'd hook up w/ a single woman, travel great distance, bivouac and NOT try anything..

I simply can't believe that was ever any different.. unless, of course, he 'danced' to a different drummer boy..

Link > http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article87364.ece

I have always been of the mindset that people should keep the ups & downs of their marriage to themselves. My wife & I are celebrating 30 yrs this month. We have been faithful to each other, but like all other marriages, it has not been perfect. With that said, we are in love & would get married again tomorrow. No one knows the troubles we've had, & that's the way we intend to keep it. Why do the Kelly's feel the need to put their dirty laundry on display? It troubles me that this guy we enjoyed watching lead our beloved Bills had serious character issues. Am I wrong here? I spose nobody would read their book if it was soley about Krabbe's Disease or spiritual conversion.

I believe the difference is that Kelly is a public figure. He is trying to use a public platform to show how he turned his life around in order to influence people to do the same. I'm sure it is not an easy thing to air your dirty laundry in public, but I believe his intentions are good. As far as him having character flaws, I don't believe that is a new revelation. The one thing that is indisputable is that he was a leader of men on the football field. God bless him and his family. They have been through a lot and it is good to see that they have come through it with their marriage intact and their lives headed in the right direction.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone doesn't admit it. He asked for forgiveness from his wife Jill and she gave it. He asked from his Lord and savior Jesus and he forgave him also. Who are you to judge. You have sinned just as much as Kelly did. Have you asked forgiveness form Jesus.

I admit I have sinned a lot. But as much as Kelly??/

This post was born, it died and was buried.

On the 240th day, it rose again, in fulfillment of the Scriptures.

Actually, somebody started a thread on Off the Wall, with similar content the other day....So, the mods seem to have put it into this thread, making it look like this was resurrected.

Link > http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article87364.ece

I have always been of the mindset that people should keep the ups & downs of their marriage to themselves. My wife & I are celebrating 30 yrs this month. We have been faithful to each other, but like all other marriages, it has not been perfect. With that said, we are in love & would get married again tomorrow. No one knows the troubles we've had, & that's the way we intend to keep it. Why do the Kelly's feel the need to put their dirty laundry on display? It troubles me that this guy we enjoyed watching lead our beloved Bills had serious character issues. Am I wrong here? I spose nobody would read their book if it was soley about Krabbe's Disease or spiritual conversion.

Um, you just told us more than I needed to know about your marriage in one paragraph. I can only imagine if you had a whole book to fill.