Predict Boomer's nickname for Spiller

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 out of 50 collegiate TDs were 50+ yard plays. Yeah, those guys are "a dime a dozen."

What a maroon. :worthy:

And Alex Van Pelt broke most of Dan Marino's passing records at Pitt. So what?

I'd have to sift through all Spiller's games to accurately evaluate his prowess, but my big gripe with college ball, and a big reason why I rarely watch it, is the imbalance of talent outside any team's conference or division. You can be sure that outside of the SEC, Alabama will have a handful of UBs to humiliate in 2010. I know a lot of you will disagree, but for me, college ball is like comparing the WNBA to the men's league. In college, there are stars who are men amongst boys - they usually get drafted. Then along side them are a bunch of future shoe salesmen and phys ed major sports trainers.

That's why the college draft is such a crapshoot. Such disparity betwen talent levels all on the same field.

What were Spiller's rushing accomplishments against top defenses? I have no idea. I obviously haven't watched him play, but I've seen his highlight reel. What I saw was a pretty fast runner, but I saw a lot of missed tackles too.

I just have serious doubts that he'll be everything we expect him to be. I question how he'll stack up to NFL defenders who are much faster and better tacklers than the opposition he faced in college.

I hope he's great. I just think there were positions to be filled with greater need and that the running back spot could have come later in the draft.

I'd have to sift through all Spiller's games to accurately evaluate his prowess, but my big gripe with college ball, and a big reason why I rarely watch it, is the imbalance of talent outside any team's conference or division. You can be sure that outside of the SEC, Alabama will have a handful of UBs to humiliate in 2010. I know a lot of you will disagree, but for me, college ball is like comparing the WNBA to the men's league. In college, there are stars who are men amongst boys - they usually get drafted. Then along side them are a bunch of future shoe salesmen and phys ed major sports trainers.

That's why the college draft is such a crapshoot. Such disparity betwen talent levels all on the same field.

What were Spiller's rushing accomplishments against top defenses? I have no idea. I obviously haven't watched him play, but I've seen his highlight reel. What I saw was a pretty fast runner, but I saw a lot of missed tackles too.

I just have serious doubts that he'll be everything we expect him to be. I question how he'll stack up to NFL defenders who are much faster and better tacklers than the opposition he faced in college.

I hope he's great. I just think there were positions to be filled with greater need and that the running back spot could have come later in the draft.

While no one knows how Spiller will turn out in the pros he sure looks like one of the best players coming out of college. That means best at ANY postion. He is an exciting player and was a difference maker in games.

Since you don't watch college you would not know that.

Many people do not see the need for this pick but I look at our RB's and I see Marshawn as a guy you cannot trust or count on. He lacks maturity and character at this point in his career. I doubt they will invest any more money in him after his contract expires.

I see Fred Jackson as a very good player, a decent runner that can also catch passes. He averaged about 65 yards a game which will get you 1,000 yards but certaintly not the mark of a game breaker.

I think Spiller is a difference maker. He will be a guy that teams will have to plan around which should give us some opportunities to get the ball to other people.

Sure there were other players we could have drafted at other positions. After the season we will all know more about these players. Given the look of the draft board when the Bills picked I think they took an excellent player.

I haven't watched ESPN in years - so long now, in fact, that I can't imagine watching it. To that end, I couldn't give a rat's hairy @$$ what Chris Berman says about Spiller...or anything, for that matter.

How 'bout, "the guy who's sitting at home and will be about as worthless as Maybin was last year" Spiller.

BTW - I predict he'll be a bust. Way overrated. Not saying he'll suck, but I don't think he'll be one of the elite backs in the NFL, as you would expect with that high a pick. Hope I'm wrong. They weren't really deperate for a return man with McLovin, McGee, Parrish, Jackson, handling those duties just fine. They already have two 1000 yard rushers on the roster.

IMO, RBs are a dime a dozen and can be found in later rounds. I'm not going to look it up now, but I'm sure there was a linebacker in the #9 spot that would've served better than one of our converted defensive linemen, and helped the defense immediately.

The NFL should have a set entry level rookie salary scale based on draft position, and let the players and their agents negotiate after the original contract is up, after say, a 2 year audition. Sure would eliminate the wasted money for overpaid dead wood like Mike Williams and Maybin, among others. That money could be shared with the "underpaid" FAs and later rounders who may have been late bloomers, but have since proven themselves on the NFL field.

I'd like to think Berman would say, "and there goes Spiller the Tiller, tearing up more turf than John Deere". We can only hope.

I don't think he's going to be a bust the way Maybin's 1st year was, but it is possible that CJ ends up more like Roscoe Parrish than Chris Johnson. That's not a very popular view right now, but with all due respect, that is certainly a possibility. I would doubt that he'll be even in the top 10 backs this year. Jackson and Lynch will get the lion's share of the workload so he won't be on the field all that much.

Ostensibly, his value lies more in breaking big plays than in being a 1,500 yard 25-30 carries/game workhorse.

Spiller the Tiller? :ph34r:

I can already hear Chris Berman's call of a big play by Spiller but I can't figure out what nickname he'll give him. "... pass is caught by C.J. ________ Spiller. LOOK AT HIM GO!..." Or it could be "CJ Spiller _______". "Spiller the Thriller" seems like the obvious choice. What do you think it will be?

"C.J. That's C.J. - not B.J. Spiller."

Stop. Spiller instantly becomes our best player. You must not watch college football. He has been the best player on the field his entire life. He was the #1 recruit coming out of high school. We stole the top player in the draft.

I can't wait - Spiller will be sick...

I could do without nicknames period, especially from berman. Hopefully he just sticks to lightning, which has been his nickname all thru college.

How about lightning in a telephone booth. The telephone booth is the Bills backfield which the lightning is trapped in.