#1 Sam Bradford- $50M Guaranteed

Six-year, $78 million contract that reportedly has $50 million guaranteed

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...anteed-to-sign/

That's A LOT to entrust in an injury prone player who has yet to throw a single NFL pass. It's basically like he has won the lottery - he hasn't earned any of that money. Does this put him ahead of Manning and Brady?

86 mil max with 50 guaranteed

per nfl network lower bannner that has not stopped for over 10 freanking minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These salaries for guys who haven't earned a single penny of their ridiculous contracts, must come to an end. I hope that this ridiculous inequity (rooks vs. proven vets) is finally addressed in the current CBA negotiations.

It's well past time where enough is way too much for these top draft choices. What drives these amounts anyway? The threat of sitting out and re-entering the draft the following year? I say let them.

Jeebuz, what a gamble! $80M for a 50/50 chance of getting a serviceable QB. I know a lot of folks here wish we could pick a QB at #1. To me that is too scary.

PTR

I concur.

Jeebuz, what a gamble! $80M for a 50/50 chance of getting a serviceable QB. I know a lot of folks here wish we could pick a QB at #1. To me that is too scary.

PTR

Having the first pick seems like more of a potential nightmare than a blessing, unless of course you draft the dream guy (like Bradford).

Having the first pick seems like more of a potential nightmare than a blessing, unless of course you draft the dream guy (like Bradford).

Or Ryan Leaf, or Rick Mirer, or JaMarcus Russel, or Joey Harrington, or Tim Couch, or Akili Smith, or Heath Shuler, or Andre Ware or Art Schlichter, etc etc etc

PTR

Or Ryan Leaf, or Rick Mirer, or JaMarcus Russel, or Joey Harrington, or Tim Couch, or Akili Smith, or Heath Shuler, or Andre Ware or Art Schlichter, etc etc etc

PTR

or David Klingler, Dave Brown, Tommy Maddox, Jim Druckenmiller, Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown, Chad Pennington, Micheal Vick, Todd Marinovich, Dan McGwire, Rich Campbell, Kelly Stouffer, Jeff George, Patrick Ramsey, Alex Smith..........

PTR

True, our plan is much better.

What drives the price so high? The market of course! This is a negotiated price--to which both sides willfully accept. Every year this same discussion comes up and "shock" is expressed at how much these guys are making.

As they say---it's not our money. Who cares if crappy teams want to blow boocoo ducats on "unproven" rookies?

PTR

It doesn't matter. It is how the NFL system works. Whether the Rams picked Bradford or Suh or even a Spiller they would have had to pay something close to that. That is the predictability part of the business. The rules have been written by the NFL regarding paying the Rookies and the Agents and Teams are playing by that rule. One poster compared this to a lottery winner. I believe our system still honors the lottery winner and doesn't pay winnings only if the person is already a mega-rich person.

The NFL can stop this nonsense in the new CBA if they chose to.

Man, that is a huge contract. I can't believe that it has taken this long for the NFL to even start thinking about a rookie salary cap . . . :worthy:

It is part of their CBA and the CBA expired this year. I am sure this will be addressed in the next CBA

and yet, some ppl here want us to be bad enough to be in a position to shell out this kind of money next year, unbelievable.

They said this will likely be the last year where you see enormous paydays for rookies like this as the next collective bargaining agreement will have a slotted rookie pay scale.

They said this will likely be the last year where you see enormous paydays for rookies like this as the next collective bargaining agreement will have a slotted rookie pay scale.

It needs to have a rookie CAP. No matter what, no matter where you are drafted, no matter what position you play you can only make X amount period.

I would also say nothing less than 5-7 year contracts for first rounders, also cap the guranteed money as well.