Trent will be a good QB again

nodnarb

I think a bigger question will be: what happens if Edwards has a relatively good year - not great, but good - like top 15 QB. Do we go after one of the QB's next year who is supposed to have greatness potential, or, do we stick with Edwards and give him an extension, which might cost us quite a bit. Can we be very comfortable with the idea that Edwards will be good from year to year, now that we've seen him break down?

And, if we do decide to keep him - if he has a great year, say top 8 QB, then what do we do with the contract? Because he's due.

I"m of the opinion that we go after, and hard, the best QB we think is available in next year's draft. Keeping Edwards or not, I don't think the two should effect each other. Then, we can have a back up plan, and a mentor, and development time.

Here's for hoping good things from Edwards.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone get a load of Trent's side burns? Our QBs always seem to have some sort of strange facial hair/head hair. Flutie with the mullet like thing, then RJ with the long hair, then JP with the beard, now Trent's sideburns. Too bad they all stink/will go down as stinkers, besides flutie.

?????????????? WTF does this have to do with anything? 2010 and we have those still casting disparaging remarks about how someone wears their hair, or has facial hair that doesn't suit their sensibilities.

:flirt::):lol:

Nice post. Its hard to argue any point you made here. I really hope youre right, and Trent steps up in a big way.

But, I just dont think he will. I think he just doesnt have the proverbial "IT" from what ive seen. Hes not gutsy, or a gunslinger, or a vocal leader (at least doesnt seem it) and these things are hard to teach. I really hope he does, but my gut tells me we will be drafting a QB in round 1 come April. :flirt:

If you had watched the Bills for more than a year you'd know that there were 100s of posts about Trent having "IT" after his first year. The fact is, Trent is a good QB, with potential to be great. The problem around here is one turd jumps on him and says he doesn't have "IT" or he's not a leader, or he has no arm and all the children follow like it's the gospel. People on this board go through this cycle all the time, a few start ripping a guy for no good reason and then it becomes cool to join in.

I think a bigger question will be: what happens if Edwards has a relatively good year - not great, but good - like top 15 QB. Do we go after one of the QB's next year who is supposed to have greatness potential, or, do we stick with Edwards and give him an extension, which might cost us quite a bit. Can we be very comfortable with the idea that Edwards will be good from year to year, now that we've seen him break down?

And, if we do decide to keep him - if he has a great year, say top 8 QB, then what do we do with the contract? Because he's due.

I"m of the opinion that we go after, and hard, the best QB we think is available in next year's draft. Keeping Edwards or not, I don't think the two should effect each other. Then, we can have a back up plan, and a mentor, and development time.

Here's for hoping good things from Edwards.

It'll be the Derek Anderson situation in Cleveland all over again. He was a one-hit wonder that year he went to the Pro Bowl and his contract just happened to be expiring. So they gave him a deal somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 years/$24M, he sucked the next year, really sucked the next year, then got cut.

If Edwards has a top-15 QB season I think we're in much better shape than we thought. That puts him up around Matt Ryan/Tony Romo and I just don't see it happening. If it does though we probably don't draft in the top ten next year and we can probably justify going after a different position than QB. Interesting thought though.

Do you all what to know who the true Captain Checkdown is?...It was Jauron.

How many times did Trent say last year, when questioned, I'm just doing what

the coaches tell me to do. And behind an injured, porous Oline, with nothing

resembling an offensive plan and a head coach playing not to lose, they were

telling him get the ball out as fast as you can. There was no time for long plays

to the WRs to develop and the coaches were afraid to call inside slants. And what are you

going to do as the starting QB, disobey the head coach? Well then you'll be riding

the pine.

Its tough to have swagger, or be "It" when you're losing, probably questioning

the game planning, not being allowed to show what you can do, not being allowed

to sling it and try to win a game, etc. And if the coaches don't show that confidence in

you, then the team starts to question you to, and frustration sets in.

I'm not saying Trent is going to light it up, or become the next coming, but I bet he'll

look better, be more confident, and take control of the offense better this year because

the coaches and therefore the team will have more confidence in him and he'll be in a

position where he feels like the guys will follow when he leads. You can have all the

swagger in the world, but if no one is following, it means nothing.

Now we just have to hope he makes good decisions, is accurate, and can stay healthy. But

I'm rooting for him (just as I am still rooting for Brohm, Fitz, Brown, and every other guy

on the team).

And Trent's new look made me think of Broadway Joe, the scraggly hair and the sideburns.

Maybe he can steal a little swagger from Namath.

First off, I know, I know...nothing is carved in stone, it's just a pecking order because one has to exist.

But our QB is going to be Trent. Recall how he played when he first started playing for us. Remember how impressive he was. Recall how his teammates were rallying around him, with some saying that he will be in the same discussion with some of the best in the game today. Then he got his noggin bashed in, teams picked the lock of our offense, and our offensive coaches were never able to readjust and catch anybody by surprise anymore.

Last year everyone had had enough of Trent because our offense was just horrid - no matter who pulled the trigger. Trent's regression was due to a colossal failure of COACHING and preparation. Nobody would have fared well with the young, inexperienced line in front of him and a first-time coordinator running a simple bastardization of his own version of Turk's offense, which was his modified version of Fairchild's version of Martz' offense.

Last year was an absolute joke offensively. A desperate HC cuts his LT and OC a week before the games begin and gives the responsibility to a first-year QB coach? And then DOES NOT HIRE A QB COACH to keep an eye on Trent's mechanics. Unbelievable. The only team in the NFL with no QB coach. Read between the lines with the comments Trent made this year comparing last year to this year. It was a horrid operation and no player had a realistic chance to be productive.

We finally have an offensive HC, and a wise one with lots of experience. We might not be a playoff team but we're going to be fun to watch again because we're going to participate in high scoring games and not those 6-3 snoozefests that were a constant exercise in futility.

Trent is going to shine - he'll have his best year this year. Actually, I think any one of these guys would have their best year under Gailey. But Trent will earn back the respect people gave him in his early days.

Besides, when it comes to release, nobody on the roster comes close to Trent. He has an exceptional release and a much better deep arm than he's given credit for.

Betcha

I totally agree with every point you have in here, but....I think trent is damaged beyond repair.

I think he lost the mental part of the game and it can not be restored.

I think this will be a breakout season for Cap'n Checkdown and he will annihilate the NFL record for dump-offs.

I hope Trent grows some balls and confidence under Chan's guidance and turns into Cap'n Checkmate.

Good post. I hope you're right. The weak responses here (sorry, cablelady, the simplistic hating is old) don't include a credible response (yet). As Biscuit said, I was really down on him last year, but it may well be the case that the bad situation overwhelmed him.

Do you all what to know who the true Captain Checkdown is?...It was Jauron.

How many times did Trent say last year, when questioned, I'm just doing what

the coaches tell me to do. And behind an injured, porous Oline, with nothing

resembling an offensive plan and a head coach playing not to lose, they were

telling him get the ball out as fast as you can. There was no time for long plays

to the WRs to develop and the coaches were afraid to call inside slants. And what are you

going to do as the starting QB, disobey the head coach? Well then you'll be riding

the pine.

No disputing our offensive scheme was putrid last year...it was unquestionably awful. However, that being said, the issues that led to the name Capn Checkdown were not because of designed plays where he was to come out and get rid of the ball quick. It was dropping back looking at his first read, panicing, bringing the ball down and then dumping off DESPITE guys being open further down field. It was throwing it 2 yards on 3 and 9 rather than going for the first down when the opportunities to do so were there.

His field vision has never been strong in the NFL so far, however, that was too be expected as a young QB in his first year or two. However, last year he took a big step backwards and its like he needed glasses or something. The coaching support was awful, no doubt, so maybe a better staff now can really help him square away all the mental weaknesses that have plagued him this year.

Until he can find poise, confidence, the ability to time throws and read the defenses he will never be any good. Unfortunately, these are key areas he has regressed at during his time with the Bills. We can only hope Chan and Co. can reverse this through better coaching and game preperation...

PS: A plea to Coach Gailey: Please oh please teach him how to throw a deep pass that doesnt look like a jump ball hail mary with an hour of hang time...

First off, I know, I know...nothing is carved in stone, it's just a pecking order because one has to exist.

But our QB is going to be Trent. Recall how he played when he first started playing for us. Remember how impressive he was. Recall how his teammates were rallying around him, with some saying that he will be in the same discussion with some of the best in the game today. Then he got his noggin bashed in, teams picked the lock of our offense, and our offensive coaches were never able to readjust and catch anybody by surprise anymore.

Last year everyone had had enough of Trent because our offense was just horrid - no matter who pulled the trigger. Trent's regression was due to a colossal failure of COACHING and preparation. Nobody would have fared well with the young, inexperienced line in front of him and a first-time coordinator running a simple bastardization of his own version of Turk's offense, which was his modified version of Fairchild's version of Martz' offense.

Last year was an absolute joke offensively. A desperate HC cuts his LT and OC a week before the games begin and gives the responsibility to a first-year QB coach? And then DOES NOT HIRE A QB COACH to keep an eye on Trent's mechanics. Unbelievable. The only team in the NFL with no QB coach. Read between the lines with the comments Trent made this year comparing last year to this year. It was a horrid operation and no player had a realistic chance to be productive.

We finally have an offensive HC, and a wise one with lots of experience. We might not be a playoff team but we're going to be fun to watch again because we're going to participate in high scoring games and not those 6-3 snoozefests that were a constant exercise in futility.

Trent is going to shine - he'll have his best year this year. Actually, I think any one of these guys would have their best year under Gailey. But Trent will earn back the respect people gave him in his early days.

Besides, when it comes to release, nobody on the roster comes close to Trent. He has an exceptional release and a much better deep arm than he's given credit for.

Betcha

Remember this! Trent at heart is a scared sub par QB. He can't read D's, and has a weak arm and no heart. Other than those few issues, he will be a great starting QB..................for the opposition.

This is all true. However, it was also true for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Yet when he got his chance to play, we won. In 9 games last year he was the leading passer for the Bills and we were 5-4. A WINNING RECORD !! 2 wins in the division. When was the last time that happened? He also set 2 Buffalo Bills franchise records. Why couldn't Trent do the same if he's so good? He had the same coaches, OLine, WRs, same OC fired the week before the season started. Trent was leading passer in 6 games where were 1-5 by the way.

When 2 QBs get playing time with the same time, the one that leads the team to 5 victories is better then the one that only gets one win (against Tampa Bay while Byron Leftwich was still QB). He did look really good in that game though.

Maybe the Bills had a bad scheme, but plays were there to throw to open WRs downfield. I've been to several TE games and you can see the WRs running free in the secondary only to be ignored. Jaws and Rich Gannon and Kelso point this out on a regular basis. Maybe it hasn't been the offense design the last 3 years, but the execution by TE?

I hope like heck he's not the starter against the Fish.

This is all true. However, it was also true for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Yet when he got his chance to play, we won. In 9 games last year he was the leading passer for the Bills and we were 5-4. A WINNING RECORD !! 2 wins in the division. When was the last time that happened? He also set 2 Buffalo Bills franchise records. Why couldn't Trent do the same if he's so good? He had the same coaches, OLine, WRs, same OC fired the week before the season started. Trent was leading passer in 6 games where were 1-5 by the way.

When 2 QBs get playing time with the same time, the one that leads the team to 5 victories is better then the one that only gets one win (against Tampa Bay while Byron Leftwich was still QB). He did look really good in that game though.

Maybe the Bills had a bad scheme, but plays were there to throw to open WRs downfield. I've been to several TE games and you can see the WRs running free in the secondary only to be ignored. Jaws and Rich Gannon and Kelso point this out on a regular basis. Maybe it hasn't been the offense design the last 3 years, but the execution by TE?

I hope like heck he's not the starter against the Fish.

Me too. Good post.

If you had watched the Bills for more than a year you'd know that there were 100s of posts about Trent having "IT" after his first year. The fact is, Trent is a good QB, with potential to be great. The problem around here is one turd jumps on him and says he doesn't have "IT" or he's not a leader, or he has no arm and all the children follow like it's the gospel. People on this board go through this cycle all the time, a few start ripping a guy for no good reason and then it becomes cool to join in.

Yeah

nodnarb, anyone on this board who doesn't hope you're right can't rightfully claim Bills fandom.

I agree. My first thought after reading the TE as starter news was I hope that this works. Seriously. I hope that this works. We seem to have better coaching than last year. We have a few weapons on offence. Is Sipller is a playmaker, we will have some excitement to watch on Offence. It all depends on the O-line again.

I totally agree with every point you have in here, but....I think trent is damaged beyond repair.

I think he lost the mental part of the game and it can not be restored.

He wasn't damaged to the point that he couldn't outperform the other qbs at this very preliminary stage.

The past is the past and is irrelevant to this new regime. They are in the process of assessig players on their present performances and not their past performances. If you want to judge players on their prior performances then Maybin, Ellis, McCargo, Bell etc should be summarily cut. Some of these players will be cut before the final roster is established. It certainly won't be done because of their past performances.

um, no! Trent got benched twice last year by 2 different coaches and was outplayed by a journeyman QB with exactly the same weapons. Tell us again why you think Trent has potential to be great?

Trent will never have "IT". It is you people who think you can "polish a turd" that is the real problem around here!