Schobel is now 70/30 on playing this year

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/07/28/s...cipating-fines/

The more this saga drags on, the more Schobel is turning into a diva.

How is he turning into a diva? He's not ranting and demanding anything, he's just not sure if he wants to play anymore (and that seems to be mostly because he hates training camp).

Give it 10 days and we'll know more...

How is he turning into a diva? He's not ranting and demanding anything, he's just not sure if he wants to play anymore (and that seems to be mostly because he hates training camp).

First, he said he needed a couple of months, then that time past. In June, he clearly stated that the Bills can move on without him and he doesn't plan on coming back. If the Bills needed him, they could call on him, but otherwise he was planning on hanging it up.

Now, he's saying 70/30? The guy is pulling a Brett Favre, so I'd agree with the diva comment. It's clear he's vying for a trade and trying to avoid as much of training camp as possible.

Who is going to make up his 10 sacks from last season, Maybin?? We better hope he comes back.

You expect Schobel to have 10 sacks when he just waltzes into camp with no time to learn the new defense? Dick(less) Jauron may have been okay with that but somehow I don't think it sits too well with Chan. He expects 100% commitment to his system and he expects 100% execution. Unless Chan thinks Schobel is going to dramatically make the Bills better just by showing up, then I have my doubts that he's going to have a big role, if any, on this team.

PTR

Who is going to make up his 10 sacks from last season, Maybin?? We better hope he comes back.

If Schobel does come back, it doesn't mean he'll get another 10 sacks this season. With transitioning from DE to OLB, plus not showing up at all for the OTA's, mini-camps and part of training camp, do you really think Schobel is going to be an effective ROLB like he was at RDE? Do you really think he's going to learn not only the new position, but the new defense that quickly before the start of the season?

You expect Schobel to have 10 sacks when he just waltzes into camp with no time to learn the new defense? Dick(less) Jauron may have been okay with that but somehow I don't think it sits too well with Chan. He expects 100% commitment to his system and he expects 100% execution. Unless Chan thinks Schobel is going to dramatically make the Bills better just by showing up, then I have my doubts that he's going to have a big rile, if any, on this team.

PTR

You beat me to it, great post PTR. :blink::worthy:

So, you agree with his actions then? I guess it's allright for any player to skip all OTA's, mini-camps & now some of training camp, just because they don't feel like showing up?

You expect Schobel to have 10 sacks when he just waltzes into camp with no time to learn the new defense? Dick(less) Jauron may have been okay with that but somehow I don't think it sits too well with Chan. He expects 100% commitment to his system and he expects 100% execution. Unless Chan thinks Schobel is going to dramatically make the Bills better just by showing up, then I have my doubts that he's going to have a big role, if any, on this team.

PTR

+1

First, he said he needed a couple of months, then that time past. In June, he clearly stated that the Bills can move on without him and he doesn't plan on coming back. If the Bills needed him, they could call on him, but otherwise he was planning on hanging it up.

Now, he's saying 70/30? The guy is pulling a Brett Favre, so I'd agree with the diva comment. It's clear he's vying for a trade and trying to avoid as much of training camp as possible.

it seems that his ex-coach got him thinking that maybe he's not ready to retire...

“I talked to Bill Kollar,” said Schobel. “I played golf with him one day. This is what he said, ‘At the end of the year come January or February whenever the season is over will you regret playing? Or will you regret not playing?’

“That sort of made me think a little more about it. Come January when the season is over I don’t think I’d say, ‘Dang I’m glad I didn’t do that.’ I’ll probably say, ‘Dang I should’ve done it.’ So that made me start thinking about playing a little bit.”

He never wanted to be traded...he wanted an extra day off during the regular season to be home with his family. The Bills' FO said something along the lines of no, sorry, we can't agree to that and so Aaron had to decide which was more important - family time or going back to NFL football. It's a tough choice for a guy like him.

it seems that his ex-coach got him thinking that maybe he's not ready to retire...

He never wanted to be traded...he wanted an extra day off during the regular season to be home with his family. The Bills FO said something along the lines of no, sorry, we can't agree to that and so Aaron had to decide which was more important - family time or going back to NFL football. It's a tough choice for a guy like him.

While no one can knock Schobel or anyone else for wanting to spend more time with their family, but he's going about this the wrong way. Schobel has to learn a new position (ROLB) and a new defense, the 3-4. Showing up this late, puts him way behind everyone else. If he does play, I can't see Schobel being effective in the first half of the season.

While no one can knock Schobel or anyone else for wanting to spend more time with their family, but he's going about this the wrong way. Schobel has to learn a new position (ROLB) and a new defense, the 3-4. Showing up this late, puts him way behind everyone else. If he does play, I can't see Schobel being effective in the first half of the season.

no argument there, just all this intuition stuff about wanting to be traded, pulling a Favre, etc. doesn't pass the smell test.

Unless they're planning on using him in a lot of coverage schemes I'm not sure how much system knowledge you need to do what Schobel does. Line up and rush the passer. He'll just be coming from a different point on the field.

OLBs in a 3-4 have to drop back into pass coverage sometimes. Lining up and rushing the passer is an over-simplification of what they need from Aaron in the new defense. Can he do well or even pretty good at it? Nobody knows yet.

he's a diva because he is putting his family first thats a new one. give me a break!

Actually, I don't see anyone here saying that. The more obvious point is that this guy has had a very long time to make up his mind. He still can't figure this out?? Why is it now that he knows it will be resloved in "ten days"? He really needs another 10 dyas to think about it?