ESPN is a complete joke

I agree with the OP's sentiments, but I have long ago quit expecting anything else from ESPN. The Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) as it was initially billed, could once be counted on for quality sports reporting and in depth coverage. Not anymore. I still find some entertainment value in it on occasion, and do watch Sports Center, but mostly on mute to see if there might be some sports story that I want to look into further through real news outlets. As for their "analysis", particularly on NFL football, it is mostly a big F grade, geared towards superstars and big cities, because that generates ratings. The vast majority of their viewership does not want in depth analysis, they want easily digested sound bites and info on the stars. Not unlike their similar tastes for "news". The comparison to Entertainment Tonight is apt.

But it's sports. Sports ARE just entertainment. Think about it. What's the difference between tailgating in team colors and jerseys and the folks who go to Star Wars conventions dressed in Storm Trooper gear? Besides the amount of wedgies given, there's no difference. We are sports nerds/junkies ... which is no different from someone being a comic book nerd/junkie or a movie nerd/junkie.

Sports have as much relevance as a movie, tv show or book. They provide hours of entertainment for their audiences but at the end of the day don't have any meaningful impact on the world. Sure there are exceptions and great moments like the crossing of the color line, the patriotic zeal that the Olympics can create etc. But at the end of the day they're just games played by grown men who are making a ton of bank amusing the rest of us.

What do you honestly expect from sports "reporting"? The media as a whole has become nothing more than a shouting match. You never see moderates on TV or on talk radio (in politics OR sports) because moderates don't sell. If you put two moderates on TV, there's no conflict. And the number one rule in entertainment is you need conflict or it's BORING. And boredom = death in this business. So on TV, radio and even print, they find the loudest, most divisive people to shout (not write or speak) their views from the rooftops just to get a reaction from us. So of course ESPN is going to focus on the biggest markets, the biggest stories, and -- if all else fails -- find ways to INVENT stories to make the product more entertaining.

Sports is no different. It's all entertainment. Sports reporters are nothing more than movie critics with a different beat.

I guess part of the problem is that there really isn't too much news that requires reporting. Transactions are swiftly reported by teams, and everything else is rumormongering based on what the teams, players, and agents want to be out in the press. There's not a lot of sleuthing to be done; you wait for the call.

After that, it's analysis, and the internet is just better at it because it can give a ton more depth than the average viewer is interested in. You specialized, get a niche, and go from there.

All that's left is just airing actual sporting events.

But it's sports. Sports ARE just entertainment. Think about it. What's the difference between tailgating in team colors and jerseys and the folks who go to Star Wars conventions dressed in Storm Trooper gear? Besides the amount of wedgies given, there's no difference. We are sports nerds/junkies ... which is no different from someone being a comic book nerd/junkie or a movie nerd/junkie.

Sports have as much relevance as a movie, tv show or book. They provide hours of entertainment for their audiences but at the end of the day don't have any meaningful impact on the world. Sure there are exceptions and great moments like the crossing of the color line, the patriotic zeal that the Olympics can create etc. But at the end of the day they're just games played by grown men who are making a ton of bank amusing the rest of us.

What do you honestly expect from sports "reporting"? The media as a whole has become nothing more than a shouting match. You never see moderates on TV or on talk radio (in politics OR sports) because moderates don't sell. If you put two moderates on TV, there's no conflict. And the number one rule in entertainment is you need conflict or it's BORING. And boredom = death in this business. So on TV, radio and even print, they find the loudest, most divisive people to shout (not write or speak) their views from the rooftops just to get a reaction from us. So of course ESPN is going to focus on the biggest markets, the biggest stories, and -- if all else fails -- find ways to INVENT stories to make the product more entertaining.

Sports is no different. It's all entertainment. Sports reporters are nothing more than movie critics with a different beat.

I definitely get what you're saying and it's a valid point. However, and not to beat a dead horse, but there is still a difference between being an objective reporter and being an entertainment-peddler. I think there are honest reporters out there (some of them frequent this site) who would take issue with the notion that because sports = entertainment, there is no such thing as honest reporting about it. I would disagree with that notion. Even though sports is a form of entertainment, and yes, at the end of the day, it's meaningless (although some would argue that politics are, too), that doesn't mean you can't report honestly about it. Contrast ESPN's Outside the Lines with the LeBron James faisco and you'll see the tenion at work.

I definitely get what you're saying and it's a valid point. However, and not to beat a dead horse, but there is still a difference between being an objective reporter and being an entertainment-peddler. I think there are honest reporters out there (some of them frequent this site) who would take issue with the notion that because sports = entertainment, there is no such thing as honest reporting about it. I would disagree with that notion. Even though sports is a form of entertainment, and yes, at the end of the day, it's meaningless (although some would argue that politics are, too), that doesn't mean you can't report honestly about it. Contrast ESPN's Outside the Lines with the LeBron James faisco and you'll see the tenion at work.

I'm with you there. Agree 1000%

There is a difference between covering news and CREATING news. ESPN, and most of the other major media conglomerates, have developed formulas for the latter. The only reason you're saying it's "worth covering" is because it's been pounded into your head that TO is someone you should be interested in. He's done it, and ESPN has done it, because it serves both of their interests. And yes, Favre is the same thing.

PTR is correct, it's Entertainment Tonight-style "reporting." People famous just for being famous, getting rich along with the cottage industry of Paparazzi media mongers who follow them around telling us about their every move.

Not that I leave the "readers" ("viewers"? "consumers"?) off the hook. I've said it to my wife many times - how can you complain about celebrity culture if you're the one buying People Magazine while in line at the check-out counter? I guess we're all to blame. But again, at least with *other* types of news, you get some alternatives.

ESPN "created" the story of TO, one of the best WRs in the history of the game, was unemployed until picked up on the eve of training camp by a team that had recently denied further interest in him?

I get it, you don't like ESPN. But they are the same as the rest. Also, TO himself AND people here at TSW have worked much harder than ESPN to convince me that TO is someone I should (still) be interested in, so your point is nonsense in that regard.

In fact, some on this site have argued vigorously and repeatedly that the mere signing of TO itself made the Bills "relevant again" because of the attention from the national media that accompanied it---and that this was worth $6.5 million in and of itself!

All very good points, and I for one will not argue any of them, the thing is, don't try to pass yourself off

as some objective, insightful, fair and informative news agency then, because they are anything but.

But you are right, hell the whole NFL is maybe one step up from the WWF, and it is a small step at that.

I also agree about the conflict angle thing, a good example was when they would have Sean Salsbury and Mark Clayton

regularly duke it out. IMO, Clayton just isn't as interesting to listen to anymore, without Sean disagreeing vehemently,

and looking like he wanted a piece of Mark, that **** sells.

Long-time lurker, first time poster, just had to chime in on ESPN.

ESPN has become nothing but a cross-promotional ABC/Disney marketing behemoth. Sports are merely the vehicle, but it's no different than NBC's The Today Show (featuring guests from NBC shows and NBC/Universal movies!) or any other such garbage on TV. It's sad, but true. You can't go to ESPN for real sports reporting anymore.

Fox does the same thing when they have the cast of Glee singing the national anthem during the World Series and the All Star Game. I'll bet you my next paycheck they'll do it for the Superbowl, too.

I can't stand the way ESPN does their business, either, but I've stopped worrying about the constant ball-washing of the big markets, the personalities that make the most money, and those who generally get national attention. I'll watch for highlights, analysis, & an occasional baseball game, but that's pretty much it. I'll still watch them, but the TMZ-style coverage of the Brett Favre saga two years ago pretty much took all the feeling I have for them.

I can't stand the way ESPN does their business, either, but I've stopped worrying about the constant ball-washing of the big markets, the personalities that make the most money, and those who generally get national attention. I'll watch for highlights, analysis, & an occasional baseball game, but that's pretty much it. I'll still watch them, but the TMZ-style coverage of the Brett Favre saga two years ago pretty much took all the feeling I have for them.

Right, they're good for the occasional broadcast and highlight. But anyone going to them for anything more hard-hitting than "So, LeBron, do you still bite your nails?" is going to be sorely disappointed.

Like someone mentioned above, the dichotomy at ESPN's production offices are between the Sports people and the Entertainment/Ratings people. And it's the same thing at news networks, other sports networks, whatever. And the Entertainment/Ratings people always win. They're concerned with selling a product, not honestly covering anything. Sports, news, soap operas, sitcoms, it doesn't matter: It's just viewed as a way to sell cars, beer, tires, diapers and ED pills.

ESPN=ABC=Disney

Just look at the intro to MNF.....they took a great sports tradition.....overproduced and celebrified it out to the max. It's unwatchable....the fukng helmets traveling into space????? WTF????

One defining moment: Emmitt Smith a guest in the MNF booth plugging his Dancing With The Stars appearance.

Turn off the TV...it's a sesspool

I know this isn't news, or new, for that matter. It's more of the same. But if you go to ESPN.com's NFL page right now (http://espn.go.com/nfl/), there are something like 8 articles about TO. And it's been that way for several weeks - I'm not exaggerating, ESPN.com has dealt with the quiet NFL July by covering TO non-stop. Where will he go? Who wants him? For how much? What will be the fantasy impact? How does his signing help or hurt the Bengals? Blah Blah Blah Blah. What lazy, uninspired, cynical reporting. In fact, between this and the LeBron fiasco (did you know that LeBron's interviewer was paid by - LeBron??), I've just had it with ESPN. It's not a reporting agency anymore. It's a media conglomerate, an entertainment company, masquerading as sports reporters.

They're just covering what people want to read. If people stopped reading and listening and calling in and yadda yadda, ESPN would drop it so fast ...

I understand being a bit frustrated by this, but this isn't an ESPN problem, it's a problem common to all privately owned media outlets (and that's just about all of them) in a capitalist society.