ESPN is a complete joke

I know this isn't news, or new, for that matter. It's more of the same. But if you go to ESPN.com's NFL page right now (http://espn.go.com/nfl/), there are something like 8 articles about TO. And it's been that way for several weeks - I'm not exaggerating, ESPN.com has dealt with the quiet NFL July by covering TO non-stop. Where will he go? Who wants him? For how much? What will be the fantasy impact? How does his signing help or hurt the Bengals? Blah Blah Blah Blah. What lazy, uninspired, cynical reporting. In fact, between this and the LeBron fiasco (did you know that LeBron's interviewer was paid by - LeBron??), I've just had it with ESPN. It's not a reporting agency anymore. It's a media conglomerate, an entertainment company, masquerading as sports reporters. Conflicts of interest galore. They're making a mockery of the notion of journalistic integrity and objectivity.

Wondering what our local media types think about this. I would think if you've spent your professional career trying to objectively report on stories, you've got to be more than a little upset about how ESPN consistently "creates" news, sells products (disguised as news), and makes itself the story.

Not that CNN is any different, but at least CNN doesn't have a near-monopoly.

I'll conclude by saying that I'm sure there are good people and good reporters who work at ESPN and do their best to stay objective. But that has to be increasingly difficult and frustrating. And rare...

I stopped watching ESPN 5 years ago. They focus on a few big name city's, their teams, and any player that brings negativity to their sport.

They are the same as the major news networks, they are going for ratings, not for news or analysis.

I do, however, watch NFL Network now and again, because at times... they can be neutral. Unfortunately, I already see them starting to go down the same road as ESPN.

On a broader note... the major news networks (ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX, ESPN, etc) are no longer news networks. They are entertainment networks. The real journalists are online working for sites like TBD, BillsZone, and others.

I know this isn't news, or new, for that matter. It's more of the same. But if you go to ESPN.com's NFL page right now (http://espn.go.com/nfl/), there are something like 8 articles about TO. And it's been that way for several weeks - I'm not exaggerating, ESPN.com has dealt with the quiet NFL July by covering TO non-stop. Where will he go? Who wants him? For how much? What will be the fantasy impact? How does his signing help or hurt the Bengals? Blah Blah Blah Blah. What lazy, uninspired, cynical reporting. In fact, between this and the LeBron fiasco (did you know that LeBron's interviewer was paid by - LeBron??), I've just had it with ESPN. It's not a reporting agency anymore. It's a media conglomerate, an entertainment company, masquerading as sports reporters. Conflicts of interest galore. They're making a mockery of the notion of journalistic integrity and objectivity.

Wondering what our local media types think about this. I would think if you've spent your professional career trying to objectively report on stories, you've got to be more than a little upset about how ESPN consistently "creates" news, sells products (disguised as news), and makes itself the story.

I'll conclude by saying that I'm sure there are good people and good reporters who work at ESPN and do their best to stay objective. But that has to be increasingly difficult and frustrating. And rare...

Was it ever not any of those things you mentioned? It is owned by Walt Disney, a publicly traded company that is labeled on its website as "the largest media and entertainment conglomerate in the world." And it has the word "Entertainment" right in its name, so I would imagine its an entertainment company.

I'm not trying to lecture, I'm just stating the facts.

We all want freedom of the press, as guaranteed under the constitution. But that has disappeared. In my opinion, there is no difference between government controlled media and corporate controlled media.

About three years ago, in the mornings before work, I started watching the Final Score on Fox Sports. I can't overstate how much better it is than sportscenter. It's a 30-min show, ALL highlights, they show whatever is in season, including NHL highlights and recaps. They also find time for sweet soccer goals or obscure sports items. They rotate 3 or 4 anchors, all are knowledgeable and funny, without being snarky or over-the-top (looking at you Stu Scott.) Starts at 6:30am, gives you a full day of sports highlights, and is over at 7am. Replays until about 8:30am.

You don't have to deal with the 90 minute sportscenter, Rachel Nichols on Brett Farve's lawn, Mark Schlereth comparing a current QB to "Well, when I played with John Elway...." or other storylines and fake analyst arguments that they try to create for their own network benefit.

I still find ESPN's website valuable and go there at least once a day. I don't really mind seven links to T.O. articles, because I don't click on any of them.

Is it not a story worth covering? Is there a sports reporting source anywhere in the country not covering the story? A qucik check at si.com and foxsports.com, etc. show the same exact types of reporting on this.

Where's the "conflict of interest"?

Is it not a story worth covering? Is there a sports reporting source anywhere in the country not covering the story? A qucik check at si.com and foxsports.com, etc. show the same exact types of reporting on this.

Exactly - at some point it *is* news whether we like it or not. I wasn't complaining when the Bills were getting a little coverage last year for signing T.O.

Was it overkill? Yes. Did I care? Nope. At some point I just turned the channel...

Starting tomorrow we'll have our own news to get caught up in! :blink:

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a more serious challenge to ESPN. Somebody else - maybe NBC-Universal - should have the heft to launch a 24-hour sports network that keeps viewers by occasionally showing games people care about. NHL rights are certainly out there for the taking, since they're stuck on Versus. The NBA still has games on TNT, which could probably be outbid (or else Time Warner could launch the network). That's two major leagues.

I'd assume there's a lockout for NFL coverage, but there are tons and tons of college games to televise, plus AFL and UFL games to break into football. Then there's always more tennis and golf to bid on, and you've got enough for a full-time network.

Yep ESPN is nothing more then a big market big name cowtow sports channel...

but unfortunately it is the big markets and the big names that sell advertising.

I never watch ESPN I can't stand the station anymore, and I use to watch it all day long

Agreed, what the heck is the matter with ESPN? They could have been talking about Favre non stop.....

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a more serious challenge to ESPN. Somebody else - maybe NBC-Universal - should have the heft to launch a 24-hour sports network that keeps viewers by occasionally showing games people care about. NHL rights are certainly out there for the taking, since they're stuck on Versus. The NBA still has games on TNT, which could probably be outbid (or else Time Warner could launch the network). That's two major leagues.

I'd assume there's a lockout for NFL coverage, but there are tons and tons of college games to televise, plus AFL and UFL games to break into football. Then there's always more tennis and golf to bid on, and you've got enough for a full-time network.

Simple. There's not enough money in it. There can be no other explanation. No way a struggling network like NBC is going to pour hundreds of millions down that kind of hole. Ditto Time-Warner.

NHL? There's a reason they are now stuck on Versus. Tennis? Golf? The only events anyone cares to watch on those channels are already owned by the networks.

There is a difference between covering news and CREATING news. ESPN, and most of the other major media conglomerates, have developed formulas for the latter. The only reason you're saying it's "worth covering" is because it's been pounded into your head that TO is someone you should be interested in. He's done it, and ESPN has done it, because it serves both of their interests. And yes, Favre is the same thing.

PTR is correct, it's Entertainment Tonight-style "reporting." People famous just for being famous, getting rich along with the cottage industry of Paparazzi media mongers who follow them around telling us about their every move.

Not that I leave the "readers" ("viewers"? "consumers"?) off the hook. I've said it to my wife many times - how can you complain about celebrity culture if you're the one buying People Magazine while in line at the check-out counter? I guess we're all to blame. But again, at least with *other* types of news, you get some alternatives.

EVERYONE has an opinion on TO... People will stop what they are doing to watch a report on TV about him.. You either Love him or Hate him, but almost nobody can remain neutral.. If the Bills were even close to the playoffs while he played here, the media would have been all over this team... I for one wish he was still around, coach Chan's job might be a bit easier...

Long-time lurker, first time poster, just had to chime in on ESPN.

ESPN has become nothing but a cross-promotional ABC/Disney marketing behemoth. Sports are merely the vehicle, but it's no different than NBC's The Today Show (featuring guests from NBC shows and NBC/Universal movies!) or any other such garbage on TV. It's sad, but true. You can't go to ESPN for real sports reporting anymore.

From what I understand from an old friend who works at ESPN, there are two factions always fighting. The entertainment side and the news/journalism types. Usually, entertainment wins. I couldn't agree more with your post. I have a journalism degree (which doesn't make me an expert by any means) but true journalism is rare this days. And very rare on ESPN. And their British Open coverage? Awful.

Long-time lurker, first time poster, just had to chime in on ESPN.

ESPN has become nothing but a cross-promotional ABC/Disney marketing behemoth. Sports are merely the vehicle, but it's no different than NBC's The Today Show (featuring guests from NBC shows and NBC/Universal movies!) or any other such garbage on TV. It's sad, but true. You can't go to ESPN for real sports reporting anymore.

1) Welcome to the Board! (As a contributor.)

2) I completely agree. What is sad is not that these entertainment companies are designed to sell you something, it's that they're masked as objective reporting agencies. They're not. And THAT is the conflict of interest (in response to a previous poster).

From what I understand from an old friend who works at ESPN, there are two factions always fighting. The entertainment side and the news/journalism types. Usually, entertainment wins. I couldn't agree more with your post. I have a journalism degree (which doesn't make me an expert by any means) but true journalism is rare this days. And very rare on ESPN. And their British Open coverage? Awful.

Profootballtalk (say what you will about them, but at least they're quasi-independent - yes they work for NBC and get spoonfed info from certain agents, but at least they take an independent spin on things) did an interesting piece a year or so ago on how ESPN's Ombudsman resigned or was fired, and (at least as far as I know) hasn't been replaced. The Ombudsman's last few articles consisted of a series of rants/apologies for the shameful conflict-of-interest reporting that had been going on. Could definitely sense the ongoing tension that you describe - unfortunately, sounds like the entertainment side won out.