OT - Brickyard 400

I just read a story from yahoo that says track officals at IMS (Indy Motor Speedway) say that they are extremely disappointed that 110,000 fans did not show up and buy tickets for the Brickyard 400. They now are saying that they'll lower ticket prices by 25 percent on some seats.

Three thoughts:

1. I think this is a trend that will start sweeping across all sports.

2. Sports people never saw this coming.

3. Keep lowering ticket prices because they don't match income levels and companies are no longer going to buy them.

While the Brickyard is a NASCAR staple it is key to remember that many of the older tracks have been removed from the schedule. They have alienated fans across the country. While it is a matter of economics, NASCAR itself will have problems.

On a side note, our local track, Bowman Grey, featured on Mad House on History had to lower the prices to draw more fans back. It is packed every week, 20,000+.

On a side note, our local track, Bowman Grey, featured on Mad House on History had to lower the prices to draw more fans back. It is packed every week, 20,000+.

So, are you a Burt Meyers fan or Junior Miller? Don't tell me you like that front-runner Tim Brown!

I just read a story from yahoo that says track officals at IMS (Indy Motor Speedway) say that they are extremely disappointed that 110,000 fans did not show up and buy tickets for the Brickyard 400. They now are saying that they'll lower ticket prices by 25 percent on some seats.

Three thoughts:

3. Keep lowering ticket prices because they don't match income levels and companies are no longer going to buy them.

I predicted this possibilty several years ago when PSLs and so forth started become the norm.

My thought was that when times are good, teams in cities with healthy economies will thrive, but if things go sour, luxury items will be the first to go. This is especially true in the corporate world. Layoffs (or Force Reduction) are one of the early knee-jerk reactions to poor company performance, but right along side that is the elimination of things like high-priced boxes and unneccessary perks that don't directly generate revenue.

Buffalo's housing market might be a good indicator of things. When the rest of the country was experiencing skyrocketing market appreciation and new construction, conservative old Buffalo was just plodding along with home prices remaining relatively low and fairly slow growth in the area.

Now, when Florida, much of California, Vegas, Atlanta, and all the other boom towns that experienced artificially inflated housing trends are in panic mode, good old Buffalo, or at least the suburban areas like Amherst, OP, Hamburg, etc...have seen a steady rise in pricing. WNY also has some of the lowest foreclosure rates in the country.

A lot of the average shmoes in the boom towns who couldn't get enough of the 5000 sq ft homes, granite countertops, and 3 car garages, are now in the middle of bankruptcy proceedings. I know - I do work with a lot of them. Meanwhile, the uphip conservative types with their 3 bedroom cape cod homes in Cheektowaga have a crib that is paid for and can spend their weekends golfing, fishing, AND can afford to fill the seats at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Maybe they can't handle the luxury boxes, but they can go to games.

I don't know if it's really hit the NFL yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before the ripple effect of the Rockefeller wannabe, $2.00 millionaires is evident. Aren't the Jets already stuggling to sell PSLs or some other such rippoff?

This is one of the reasons I scoff at the idea that the Bills could move somewhere anytime soon. Where are they going to go? What city is so immune to the current economic conditions that fans and corporations will show up in droves to shell out thousands for "the rights to buy a seat"?

That's like these airlines who promote their affordable fare, then charge extra for a seat. WTF? Do you ever get the feeling everything is a racket these days?

I predicted this possibilty several years ago when PSLs and so forth started become the norm.

My thought was that when times are good, teams in cities with healthy economies will thrive, but if things go sour, luxury items will be the first to go. This is especially true in the corporate world. Layoffs (or Force Reduction) are one of the early knee-jerk reactions to poor company performance, but right along side that is the elimination of things like high-priced boxes and unneccessary perks that don't directly generate revenue.

Buffalo's housing market might be a good indicator of things. When the rest of the country was experiencing skyrocketing market appreciation and new construction, conservative old Buffalo was just plodding along with home prices remaining relatively low and fairly slow growth in the area.

Now, when Florida, much of California, Vegas, Atlanta, and all the other boom towns that experienced artificially inflated housing trends are in panic mode, good old Buffalo, or at least the suburban areas like Amherst, OP, Hamburg, etc...have seen a steady rise in pricing. WNY also has some of the lowest foreclosure rates in the country.

A lot of the average shmoes in the boom towns who couldn't get enough of the 5000 sq ft homes, granite countertops, and 3 car garages, are now in the middle of bankruptcy proceedings. I know - I do work with a lot of them. Meanwhile, the uphip conservative types with their 3 bedroom cape cod homes in Cheektowaga have a crib that is paid for and can spend their weekends golfing, fishing, AND can afford to fill the seats at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Maybe they can't handle the luxury boxes, but they can go to games.

I don't know if it's really hit the NFL yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before the ripple effect of the Rockefeller wannabe, $2.00 millionaires is evident. Aren't the Jets already stuggling to sell PSLs or some other such rippoff?

This is one of the reasons I scoff at the idea that the Bills could move somewhere anytime soon. Where are they going to go? What city is so immune to the current economic conditions that fans and corporations will show up in droves to shell out thousands for "the rights to buy a seat"?

That's like these airlines who promote their affordable fare, then charge extra for a seat. WTF? Do you ever get the feeling everything is a racket these days?

Post of Epic-ness!!! :ph34r:

Meanwhile, the uphip conservative types with their 3 bedroom cape cod homes in Cheektowaga have a crib that is paid for and can spend their weekends golfing, fishing, AND can afford to fill the seats at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

That's me! Except I'm in "upscale" West Seneca with my cape LOL.

The other trend in the dance between sports leagues and sports fans is the number of people that are deciding that it makes more sense to watch games on television than it does to attend them in person.

This is especially true with the NFL. The inflation of ticket prices over the past decade coupled with the downturn in the economy and the desire of NFL teams to cater to the corporate customers has created an increased market for televised games.

My DirecTV/hi-def viewing costs me (not including the cost of a hi-def TV, which is very affordable now) less than $15 a week. I don't have to wait in line for the restroom, in fact I can go anytime I want. No parking fee. No fighting traffic. No overpriced food and drink. I can fill the cooler with beer and steaks, pause the game for whatever reason, fast forward thru commercials and enjoy the game on my terms…all the time paying much less than it would cost to attend a game in person.

I understand that attending NFL games is an event which can't be duplicated by watching games on television. But in many ways, the NFL home theater experience is an excellent one that makes more and more sense over time.

For fans living in NFL cities with easy access to the home games, this newer aspect doesn't come into play that much. But many fans live outside the TV blackout area and make road trips to attend games. It is these people who are re-considering the cost in money and time of attending NFL games.

Three thoughts:

Yes, the NASCAR bubble's burst was impossible to predict. The "sport" has grown bloated (Price Chopper 400, Tums Fast Relief 500, Helluva Good Sour Cream Dip at the Glen) to the point that it cannot sustain itself or the general public's interest.

I agree that with the current climate, the Bills won't be moving. No place is going to shell-out at least $600M for their portion of a new stadium, plus all the additional charges (PSL's, high ticket prices, parking, etc.) that come with it, and no owner will want to pay the hundreds of millions (which keep rising annually) in relocation fees. I think that more games may move to Toronto, but that's it.

I agree that with the current climate, the Bills won't be moving. No place is going to shell-out at least $600M for their portion of a new stadium, plus all the additional charges (PSL's, high ticket prices, parking, etc.) that come with it, and no owner will want to pay the hundreds of millions (which keep rising annually) in relocation fees. I think that more games may move to Toronto, but that's it.

Why?

The other trend in the dance between sports leagues and sports fans is the number of people that are deciding that it makes more sense to watch games on television than it does to attend them in person.

This is especially true with the NFL. The inflation of ticket prices over the past decade coupled with the downturn in the economy and the desire of NFL teams to cater to the corporate customers has created an increased market for televised games.

My DirecTV/hi-def viewing costs me (not including the cost of a hi-def TV, which is very affordable now) less than $15 a week. I don't have to wait in line for the restroom, in fact I can go anytime I want. No parking fee. No fighting traffic. No overpriced food and drink. I can fill the cooler with beer and steaks, pause the game for whatever reason, fast forward thru commercials and enjoy the game on my terms…all the time paying much less than it would cost to attend a game in person.

I understand that attending NFL games is an event which can't be duplicated by watching games on television. But in many ways, the NFL home theater experience is an excellent one that makes more and more sense over time.

For fans living in NFL cities with easy access to the home games, this newer aspect doesn't come into play that much. But many fans live outside the TV blackout area and make road trips to attend games. It is these people who are re-considering the cost in money and time of attending NFL games.

I've long thought that pro football is best viewed on tv. I appreciate the "game day experience", but there you are in the end zone, or in other better seating areas with howlers and drunks standing up all game long...how much action do you see? People prattle on about sight lines to the jumbotron - for many, that's how they get to view the action! As well as the hassle of getting in and out of a stadium.

Hockey, basketball, especially baseball, are best live, IMO.

I don't know if it's really hit the NFL yet, but I think it's only a matter of time before the ripple effect of the Rockefeller wannabe, $2.00 millionaires is evident. Aren't the Jets already stuggling to sell PSLs or some other such rippoff? This is one of the reasons I scoff at the idea that the Bills could move somewhere anytime soon. Where are they going to go?

The problem with that logic is that the big corporate powers control the league. If the big markets suffer in the NFL, they will be bailed out by the NFL. The small markets will not.

Unfortunately, the Bills are going to turn into the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL. They will exist for competition, but not for much else.

:ph34r:

I think I remember you and several others making this claim and I think it's true, what you say. Plus, the demographics just aren't right in some of the so-called good markets. LA as a sports market sucks. The population is too fragmented and there isn't enough white people.

I sold tickets for a number of years and I always thought that chasing the big corporation money was a stupid idea. You chase away real fans with stupid prices.

Why?

If the owner of the Bills wants more of a big market but doesn't want to/can't move (relo fee, no new stadium in new city), playing more games in Toronto is the next logical step.

I've long thought that pro football is best viewed on tv. I appreciate the "game day experience", but there you are in the end zone, or in other better seating areas with howlers and drunks standing up all game long...how much action do you see? People prattle on about sight lines to the jumbotron - for many, that's how they get to view the action! As well as the hassle of getting in and out of a stadium.

Hockey, basketball, especially baseball, are best live, IMO.

Tape the freakin' game. I have been to many Bills games in the past and the last was a 38-9 trouncing by the Patriots. I livie in Virginia so let me tell you this, if I had the money I would go to every game. There is nothing like the experience of seeing live and rooting for the guys you pull for play. Now that said I will say the tickets prices are out of hand. I work for the company that sponsors the spring race at Bristol International Raceway and the offer us tickets at $109. Thanks but no thanks. They want peoples butts in the seats lower ALL prices. Better to sell 10 cars at $100 rather than 1 car at $1,000.

Three thoughts:

I have worked for NASCAR as a contractor for years and every year the attendance has gone down... It is simple really people can not afford it and there biggest sponsors are Banks and Car Companies...

They didn’t not even open the 70,000 seat Super stretch in Daytona for the 4th... The fact is corporate sponsors are down and Corporate spending is way down unsold suites and hospitality tents......

I have worked for NASCAR as a contractor for years and every year the attendance has gone down... It is simple really people can not afford it and there biggest sponsors are Banks and Car Companies...

They didn’t not even open the 70,000 seat Super stretch in Daytona for the 4th... The fact is corporate sponsors are down and Corporate spending is way down unsold suites and hospitality tents......

My family and I go to the race at Infineon Raceway every year (Sears Point, Sonoma, California.).

Tix are $95 a piece x5 tix. It ain't cheap! But we go every year, and are entertained. Something about watching those guys turn right, and left is pretty darn exciting.

With that said, I wouldn't pay $20 to go watch them race at California Speedway, Las Vegas, Chicago, Michigan, Pocono, Kansas, or any "cookie-cutter" type track. IMO they got away from what made them famous, and that was the beating and banging you find at short tracks. Get back to that, and let the drivers fight it out and it will get more entertaining.