OT - Brickyard 400

The problem with that logic is that the big corporate powers control the league. If the big markets suffer in the NFL, they will be bailed out by the NFL. The small markets will not.

Unfortunately, the Bills are going to turn into the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL. They will exist for competition, but not for much else.

:blush:

At least the Bills have had a winning season in the last 5 years. I think the Pirates are going on 15+ years without one. It's pretty much why I quit following a MLB team. It's just a league that is terribly unbalanced.

And it's just funny that a team in a dying economy that has missed the playoffs 10 years in a row is going to sell season tickets at a top 10 franchise high.

My family and I go to the race at Infineon Raceway every year (Sears Point, Sonoma, California.).

Tix are $95 a piece x5 tix. It ain't cheap! But we go every year, and are entertained. Something about watching those guys turn right, and left is pretty darn exciting.

With that said, I wouldn't pay $20 to go watch them race at California Speedway, Las Vegas, Chicago, Michigan, Pocono, Kansas, or any "cookie-cutter" type track. IMO they got away from what made them famous, and that was the beating and banging you find at short tracks. Get back to that, and let the drivers fight it out and it will get more entertaining.

Infineon is a great track... Been there many times... Your right though Cali and Chicago both never sell out, I see Vegas getting one of Atlanta's or California race dates

I'd love to see it. Sports has gotten out of hand money wise. the average fan can't afford tickets and company's are starting to pull the millions they shell out for suites etc.

I'm with you !! I think the Hainsworth contract and others (Jason Peters for example ) are a little crazy , and people like Jerry Jones will be the first to wonder why the fans aren't going to the stadium.

I think Nascar slowed down some when they went to the car of tomorrow , they are all exactly the same except the decals !!

I wish more teams were like our Bills Paid for and more fiscally responsible , i loved it when teams like the Rays won the world series beating out the Yankees !! That's why i'll always be a Bills fan !! GO BILLS !!

So, are you a Burt Meyers fan or Junior Miller? Don't tell me you like that front-runner Tim Brown!

I like the Myers brothers, however, I like Al Hill. He used to be really nice to us as kids. Tim Brown is a good guy, too. His sponsor, Hayes, is a local jewelry store. The Hayes family is very nice.

Junior Miller is Kernersville trash.

If the owner of the Bills wants more of a big market but doesn't want to/can't move (relo fee, no new stadium in new city), playing more games in Toronto is the next logical step.

How does he make money playing in a half filled baseball stadium?

The other trend in the dance between sports leagues and sports fans is the number of people that are deciding that it makes more sense to watch games on television than it does to attend them in person.

This is especially true with the NFL. The inflation of ticket prices over the past decade coupled with the downturn in the economy and the desire of NFL teams to cater to the corporate customers has created an increased market for televised games.

My DirecTV/hi-def viewing costs me (not including the cost of a hi-def TV, which is very affordable now) less than $15 a week. I don't have to wait in line for the restroom, in fact I can go anytime I want. No parking fee. No fighting traffic. No overpriced food and drink. I can fill the cooler with beer and steaks, pause the game for whatever reason, fast forward thru commercials and enjoy the game on my terms…all the time paying much less than it would cost to attend a game in person.

I understand that attending NFL games is an event which can't be duplicated by watching games on television. But in many ways, the NFL home theater experience is an excellent one that makes more and more sense over time.

For fans living in NFL cities with easy access to the home games, this newer aspect doesn't come into play that much. But many fans live outside the TV blackout area and make road trips to attend games. It is these people who are re-considering the cost in money and time of attending NFL games.

Yer right.

I believe age, ie-maturity, becomes a factor as well. When you're 20 years old, you're pretty much always in party mode - or at least a lot of us were. As you establish yourself, have a nice home with all the creature comforts, the tradeoff of the "live" experience vs. the HD big screen viewing from the La-Z-Boy, becomes less of a factor.

For me, the real tie-breaker is that at home, there's zero chance of some a-hole spilling beer on me, using foul language in front of one of my young family members, and I don't have to risk getting into a scuffle after asking them for the 20th time to please sit down and stop blocking our line of sight, so we can enjoy the game from the over-priced seats we've paid for.

I'll always love the commraderie and the carnival atmosphere that's part of the live experience, but there are some elements I can do without. And let's face it, HD on a big screen, with the bonus of pausing and skipping unending commercial timeouts, with the roast cooking in oven, and nap time 5 minutes after the last piss? Hard to compete with.

I'm with you !! I think the Hainsworth contract and others (Jason Peters for example ) are a little crazy , and people like Jerry Jones will be the first to wonder why the fans aren't going to the stadium.

I think Nascar slowed down some when they went to the car of tomorrow , they are all exactly the same except the decals !!

I wish more teams were like our Bills Paid for and more fiscally responsible , i loved it when teams like the Rays won the world series beating out the Yankees !! That's why i'll always be a Bills fan !! GO BILLS !!

Pretty good post until you said the Rays won the World Series. Not yet they haven't.

He's not, doc. At nearly $10 million a game it's hopeless.

Huh? Ralph's making $15.6M/year on 1 regular season game/year and 3 throwaway pre-season games. On top of the TV revenue.

Infineon is a great track... Been there many times... Your right though Cali and Chicago both never sell out, I see Vegas getting one of Atlanta's or California race dates

I HOPE that all of those cookie cutters lose their second date. I don't want to see Vegas get a second date either. I want to see Rockingham back, and North Wilksboro, get Martinsville under the lights, and let em go at it at IRP or O'Reilly Raceway Park (whatever the hell they call it now).

The crappy thing is the corporate sponsors. They have to have them, but it is killing NASCAR. The drivers can't show any emotion without fear of violating their sponsors wishes, or the wishes of NASCAR's official sponsors. But I still watch it.