ESPN Power Rankings

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2010&week=0

The Bills ranking is unimportant (#31, need a new QB blah blah blah), but what is this mess:

Jets - #7

- With 12 Pro Bowl position players, the Jets are loaded to challenge the Pats. (Clayton)

Patriots - #9

- Who keeps the Patriots ahead of every other AFC East team? Tom Brady. (Clayton)

:cry:

Clayton, your whole assignment here is to write 1 sentence each about 8 teams. And the only rule is don't contradict yourself.

Good work, ESPN. Get back to giving LeBron an hour to talk about himself.

These rankings are just flat out silly this year. The Bills have been a near .500 team for years, and have a new coaching staff that is worth a game or two extra. So, 7-9, 8-8 is most likely. I know we're not a playoff team, but all of these pundits putting us at 30 or below in a 32 team league?? Boy, the hate is really out there.

The unfortunate thing is these guys never have to admit how wrong they are on this kind of stuff. I was talking to a Packers fan this morning and even he thought the Bills would be a middle of the pack team, and he cares nothing about them, so to me this is not a hometown opinion, the media just has some big-time hate for the Bills going on right now.

I don't really care, but boy, it's eye-opening to see this kind of crap.

Pile it on, guys. 31 out of 32 teams? Great. A drop of 7 spots from the end of last season? I like it.

None of this will matter when the games begin. It will be a pleasure to see the Bills surprise some teams and their fans.

Assuming they can. :devil:

The Bills ranking is unimportant (#31, need a new QB blah blah blah), but what is this mess:

:devil:

Clayton, your whole assignment here is to write 1 sentence each about 8 teams. And the only rule is don't contradict yourself.

Actually it looks like Clayton wrote the one liners for the Jets and Pats (and thought the Jets would challenge the Pats for the division) but he alone did not rank the teams. In other words, the one-liners are Clayton's, the ranking is not.

EDIT: At the bottom of that page:

The rankings were determined by a poll of four voters on ESPN.com's NFL staff: writers John Clayton (AFC East, NFC East), James Walker (AFC North, NFC North), Paul Kuharsky (AFC South, AFC West), and Mike Sando (NFC South, NFC West).

These rankings are just flat out silly this year. The Bills have been a near .500 team for years, and have a new coaching staff that is worth a game or two extra. So, 7-9, 8-8 is most likely. I know we're not a playoff team, but all of these pundits putting us at 30 or below in a 32 team league?? Boy, the hate is really out there.

The unfortunate thing is these guys never have to admit how wrong they are on this kind of stuff. I was talking to a Packers fan this morning and even he thought the Bills would be a middle of the pack team, and he cares nothing about them, so to me this is not a hometown opinion, the media just has some big-time hate for the Bills going on right now.

I couldn't agree more. I love how we are this year's whipping boy. We are a team that needed a perfect storm to fall from 7-9 to 6-10. Now somehow getting to 6-10 would be a miracle? But the reality is none of these guys can really follow and understand all the teams, and it is easy to focus on "no QB, no LT, no playoffs in a decade" rather than actual analysis.

So somehow they place us in a position to win 2-3 games for the season and despite our young players, positive new coaching staff, etc., we should be the worst Bills team since we drafted Bruce Smith if not worse. If John Clayton will put some cash on the table I will take the over...

Actually it looks like Clayton wrote the one liners for the Jets and Pats (and thought the Jets would challenge the Pats for the division) but he alone did not rank the teams. In other words, the one-liners are Clayton's, the ranking is not.

we still hates him

Why that fat over officious jerk aughta be publicly flogged.

oh, wait, wrong thread

Why that pencil necked pony tailed bird beak freak aughta be publicly flogged.

(that was bad even for Clayton)

pretty-funny, I laughed reading that the 1st time on the other thread.....

GO BILLS!

Near .500? That's rich. 32-48 in their past 5 seasons and 27-37 since DJ was hired isn't near .500 Besides, anecdotal evidence does not support where teams will fall,

Every year, a team or two surprise and some fall off the table. Teams in their first year of a rebuild typically do not win much, especially those that don't have a strong starter at QB, are weak at OT, have no proven pass rushers, are implementing new offensive and defensive schemes (the latter of which does not have the right personnel), and play in a very tough division where their opponents are better on paper.

This is a 5-11 team from a year ago, and one that will be led by a HC who hasn't done the job in 11 years. That's why people are picking them to be near the bottom of the NFL. No one's saying some things won't work out, just that there about 10 things that must go right to even be a .500 team.

Shhhhh too much facts for the OP. I saw the original post and link, and just had to laugh my ass off at the generally stupidity of the post.

Near .500? That's rich. 32-48 in their past 5 seasons and 27-37 since DJ was hired isn't near .500 Besides, anecdotal evidence does not support where teams will fall,

Every year, a team or two surprise and some fall off the table. Teams in their first year of a rebuild typically do not win much, especially those that don't have a strong starter at QB, are weak at OT, have no proven pass rushers, are implementing new offensive and defensive schemes (the latter of which does not have the right personnel), and play in a very tough division where their opponents are better on paper.

This is a 5-11 team from a year ago, and one that will be led by a HC who hasn't done the job in 11 years. That's why people are picking them to be near the bottom of the NFL. No one's saying some things won't work out, just that there about 10 things that must go right to even be a .500 team.

Come on BillsVet...

if the Bills won 5 more games over the last 4 years (that's 1.25 games a year), they would have been .500

for 4 years straight. So, don't make it sound like FightClub is crazy. 7-9 IS close to .500. It's depressing that

we are talking about being close to .500, but nevertheless it's not an outrageous statement.

And you make it sound like Chan has not been around football at all for 11 years. Sure it's been that long since

he was a head coach in the NFL, but he has been an offensive coordinator since then in the NFL and he was a head

coach as recently as 2007 (at Georgia).

Plus, we were 6-10 last year, not 5-11.

I'm not denying the questions that you and we have all raised (QB, LT, OLB, new schemes, pass rush), but don't try

to purposely paint the picture darker than it is.

And as far as ESPN and anyone who agrees with that ranking, over the last 10 years the 31st place teams have

averaged 2.9 wins a season. I just can't see how we will fall to only 3 wins with basically the same players now

healthy and with more experience (+ rookies and FAs) but better coaching. Yes, we have a lot of question marks

including the coaching (because we haven't seen any games yet), but are we really going to lose 3 or 4 more

games than last year with that mess of a season we had?

:P

Preseason Power Rankings are nothing more then guesses based almost exclusively on the previous seasons' results.

I found a preseason Power Rankings printed in August of 2009, and of the top 12 teams listed, every one of them had made the playoffs in '08 except New England, who finished out of the playoffs amazingly with an 11-5-0 record. The poll thought very highly of the Pats despite that bad luck, and had them ranked number 2 heading into the 2009 preseason.

Actual '09 results: Only 5 of the top 12 teams were able to finish higher then their "Power Rankings" had them rated in the '09 preseason, and another 5 of the top 12 teams did not even make the playoffs altogether.

Take a closer look at ESPN's preseason Power Rankings in the link of this thread. This year, 10 of the top 12 ranked teams made the playoffs last season, in '09. Atlanta and San Francisco are the two teams ESPN thinks will finish in the tournament this season after missing last year, while Arizona and Philly are predicted to miss out.

Odds are, up to 5 or more teams ranked in the top 12 won't make the playoffs again, with more then just 2 surprises making it back into the playoffs.

And of course we all "hope" the biggest surprise will be their #31 ranked team sneaking in! :devil:<_<