Rotoworld feels we made a terrible choice in passing on Clausen twice

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That argument is massively simplistic, so much so as to be ridiculous.

It's on the order of saying Brohm will never amount to anything because of what happened to him in GB. The truth is, time will tell, for both players.

Actually, we once again have a decent chance to have another draft bust. So far all that Spiller has proven is that he can return kicks and catch balls. It's not as if he's some sort of prolific rusher. But we don't have a QB to get him the ball well and we have kick returners coming out of our ears.

He's actually very good at running the ball. Have you watched a lot of Clemson games or no? Because he's also good at catching and returning kicks doesn't mean he can't run the rock. He can and did very well.

And if we pick a QB next year who doesn't pan out while Clausen does? Or if we pick a QB next year who is still struggling in his third year and we don't know if he'll ever be a franchise guy while in Clausen's fourth year, the light goes on? And the rest of our roster is playoff-ready, but our still-cooking young guy doesn't let us get into the playoffs?

Yet again, there's NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that the FO didn't like Clausen.

The evidence is that they didn't draft him. They didn't like him enough...

And if we pick a QB next year who doesn't pan out while Clausen does? Or if we pick a QB next year who is still struggling in his third year and we don't know if he'll ever be a franchise guy while in Clausen's fourth year, the light goes on? And the rest of our roster is playoff-ready, but our still-cooking young guy doesn't let us get into the playoffs?

Yet again, there's NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that the FO didn't like Clausen.

The evidence is they did not draft him. They didn't like him enough. Simple, really.

If I was forced to make a prediction, I would have to agree that everyone in Bills Nation not to mention the organization itself is going to regret passing on Clausen. I think in time he will be a repeat Pro Bowler.

I doubt that any Bills fan will ever regret passing on Wanker-Punk Clausen, but I do agree that he would likely be a better Pro Bowler than he will a Pro QB. :rolleyes:

Jimmy is now like 3rd in line now yet he was a shame for the Bills to pass on twice?? Hmmm....

3. Bills pass on Jimmy Clausen, twice 

Entering April's draft with the league's worst quarterback situation, the Bills had two chances to select pro-ready Jimmy Clausen. They passed both times, opting instead to bolster an already strong tailback corps with C.J. Spiller at No. 9, and taking raw nose tackle Torrell Troup 41st.

New coach Chan Gailey plans to hold a three-way QB competition in camp consisting of injury-prone Trent Edwards, draft bust Brian Brohm, and noodle-armed journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick.

http://m.nbcsports.com/s/showPage.do?siteI...icleId=38349607

I agree. When he was available in the 2nd and we didn't take him that really stunned me. We will regret it.

The evidence is they did not draft him. They didn't like him enough. Simple, really.

Geez. They must have hated Bradford. They didn't draft him either. It all makes so much sense now, thanks to you. If they didn't draft him, they didn't like him. You'r right, it's so simple. They must have hated Suh, and Morgan and Iupati and ... well, they must have not liked, let's see, 255 guys drafted, only 8 by the Bills, they must have hated 247 players, plus every single undrafted player out there, including the ones they later signed as UDFAs. That's a lot of hate.

Other things factor in. If you can't see it, it's because you're blinding yourself.

It's on the order of saying Brohm will never amount to anything because of what happened to him in GB. The truth is, time will tell, for both players.

Yup.

Of course, I never said Brohm will never amount to anything. Or it's not something I would say if I was thinking.

But Green Bay had already invested in him, and were in a position of wanting to see him succeed. So it definitely is a piece of info that you should evaluate, and it adds a bit on the "he might not make it" side.

FWIW (and I'm not sure it's worth much), Terry Bradshaw for some reason has taken a dislike for Jimmy Clausen.

I consider an expert...& someone who's opinion is worth listening to, as someone who's been there - done that. Terry Bradshaw's opinion is good enuf for me. Talking heads are a dime a dozen. I've wrapped myself around Spiller & Troup & look forward to seeing what they can do. I've listened to Clausen & he seems like he's got a few loose screws. Give me a solid, stable thinker & talker for my QB, before analyzing his abilities. Chances are a goofy kid will make goofy decisions.

Actually, we once again have a decent chance to have another draft bust. So far all that Spiller has proven is that he can return kicks and catch balls. It's not as if he's some sort of prolific rusher. But we don't have a QB to get him the ball well and we have kick returners coming out of our ears.

spiller stats

Over 3500 yds rushing indicates otherwise

I f'ing hate Muslims. Just like they F'ing hate you and me, and Brohm, and Trentative, and Fitzy.

given your extraordinarily narrow-minded ability to find hate in a mere sports blog, and to then determine that some kind of Jihad has been called against Bills quarterbacks, it's led me to believe that others -- outside the Muslim community -- might also have a healthy disrespect for you, too. :rolleyes:

jw

I kind of think the Bills have a plan that includes free agency next year, if no one works out this year.

Look at it this way, this year FA was lets say different; the chance is that there won't be football next year or that if there is there will be a glut of FAs because of the way it was structured this year. So, I think the draft was take what you think are the best players and see where the chips fall this next off season.

This year is for trying to teach a young team how to win and to see what we got.

The last 4 years had incompetency written all over it so they need to make decisions based on what potentiality that might have been there.

I was excited about last years draft and am pretty much about this years, too. I think they are at least acting like they know what they are doing.

Is there a point you're making here besides the obvious one that the draft is a crap shoot and teams choose who they choose for various reasons based on their best judgment (which may be wrong) of the abilities of the players available and what best suits their needs?

You think they should have picked Clausen instead of Troup (and maybe Spiller?). And if Clausen turns out to be a franchise QB four years from now while none of the current Bills's QBs do, and whatever hypothetical QB the Bills draft next year also doesn't, then the Bills would have turned out to have made a mistake.

Well, duh. What a waste of pixels.

I consider an expert...& someone who's opinion is worth listening to, as someone who's been there - done that. Terry Bradshaw's opinion is good enuf for me. Talking heads are a dime a dozen. I've wrapped myself around Spiller & Troup & look forward to seeing what they can do. I've listened to Clausen & he seems like he's got a few loose screws. Give me a solid, stable thinker & talker for my QB, before analyzing his abilities. Chances are a goofy kid will make goofy decisions.

You mean like...Terry Bradshaw?

Time will tell about Calusen, but I would take "an above average QB" over a great NT any day.