Rotoworld feels we made a terrible choice in passing on Clausen twice

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1st round fine, but then he is there in the second and then they still pass. That is crazy!

Oh well, I guess time will tell.

I agree. Granted, he may turn out a dud - but after years of qb woes, I thought it was time to roll the dice, like they did with JP. I wasn't a big fan of JP in college, but sometimes you just have to take a chance. I totally reject any thoughts about "waiting for next year." If I owned a club, I would feel that I owe it to my current players and the paying fans and the buyers of the trinkets to do my best to win - every season.

CAR tried to address their situation - Clausen in the 2nd, and then Pike in the 6th. No idea if it works out for them, but I applaud their effort.

FWIW (and I'm not sure it's worth much), Terry Bradshaw for some reason has taken a dislike for Jimmy Clausen.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Terry-...my-Clausen.html

There were strong competing scouting views on Clausen. Some scouts were on the side that he was the most pro ready because he played for Weiss and in a pro system in college. There was another strong scouting view that there was nothing distinguishable about Clausen. Most scouts felt that Clausen was capable of playing in the NFL but not necessarily being an impact type of qb.

I don't think that Terry Bradshaw dislikes Clausen so much as he is giving his candid view on him. Evidently, Nix and Gailey both fall on the side that Clausen is not going to be a franchise qb who would be much of a difference maker.

The Bills are in a rebuilding stage. The wise strategy is to take highly drafted players who you feel are more sure to make it. I'm not suggesting that Clausen is not going to be a qood qb. I just don't know. What I can say about our drafting strategy this year is whether you agree with the players taken or not taken there is a coherency to the picks and drafting strategy.

You mean like...Terry Bradshaw?

Time will tell about Calusen, but I would take "an above average QB" over a great NT any day.

Bradshaw can be a goofball, yes...but we can't deny his accomplishments. Therefore, we should at least consider his opinions.

You have to admit, we badly needed a beefy NT....and one has to question whether our 3 QB's in the running are as bad as most are labeling them. I'm more inclined to think their lack of performance was due to a total overall dysfunction of a bad system put in place by a defensive minded coach surrounded by inexperience, than poor skills on their part. I can't wait for two things to happen...to see what Gailey can do with them, & to see what the pecking order is gonna be. Just think, we'll know in a week the latter!

It's a need for the Bills so they made a mistake passing on a guy I liked. :rolleyes: We'll see how Clausen works out.

Only time will tell if the Bills made the right decision in this years draft. However Chan Gailey said there wasn't any throw that Clausen or Tebow could make, that the qb's currently on the roaster couldn't. Hopefully, he's right. Besides, next years draft class is supposed to be much richer and deeper at qb than was this years. So if Edwards, Brohm, and Fritzpatrick bomb, there's a very good chance of the Bills getting their franchise qb next April.

Let's not forget Levi Brown. My son, who follows the Bills and the NFL much closer than I do, said something that makes sense. The Bills drafted Brown as a project. There is no way they're going to cut him. Or place him on the ps. And risk him going elsewhere. He figures either Edwards, Brohm, or Friz will be sent packing. And Brown makes the team as the third qb.

Granted, the odds of a 7th round pick becoming a franchise qb are astronomical. But you never know. Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round. Kurt Warner and Tony Romo were undrafted. So we can't rule him out. imho

You mean like...Terry Bradshaw?

Time will tell about Calusen, but I would take "an above average QB" over a great NT any day.

Few others would. A great NT is the key to a good 3-4 and you won't find anyone better. The same isn't true for "an above average QB."

Chan Gailey said there wasn't any throw that Clausen or Tebow could make, that the qb's currently on the roaster couldn't.

That's really the bottom line here, IMO. If you don't think a guy is better than what you already have, you don't waste a 2nd round pick on him. That's particularly true when the guys you already have are relatively young.

If the Bills FO didn't think Clausen was any better than the current QB crop, why in the world would they draft him? I admit I was shocked, and initially a bit dissappointed when they passed on Clausen in the 2nd round. But I soon realized it would be moronic for them to pick a QB they weren't sold on, particularly in the 2nd round.

I'm not the idiot. You are the one using your expert opinion to say that the league was wrong, and that Clausen will be a pro-bowl QB.

You obviously don't know what a prediction is do you? I said that I predict he will, not he will be and everyone is wrong. You really are an idiot aren't you? Go to the book store, pick up "English for Dummies" read it and come back in a month, you will feel fine.

I know jimmy personally and i have a feeling that buffalo did not draft him bc he had no desire to play for buffalo, it was number 1 on his list of teams he would not want to go to.

Jim Kelly had the same issue.

Few others would. A great NT is the key to a good 3-4 and you won't find anyone better. The same isn't true for "an above average QB."

We won't find anyone better than our first round draft pick at NT?

Anyway, an above average QB (we don't have one and have for 10 years, by the way) is good for more than a few wins a year. An NT? Come on! Of course he is key to the 3-4, but his direct impact isn't comparable to QB.

We won't find anyone better than our first round draft pick at NT?

Anyway, an above average QB (we don't have one and have for 10 years, by the way) is good for more than a few wins a year. An NT? Come on! Of course he is key to the 3-4, but his direct impact isn't comparable to QB.

No, what I'm saying is that finding a better NT than a "great one" is a lot more difficult than finding a better QB than "an above average one." Although it depends on who (playing now) you would consider "above average." Although whether Clausen is even an average, much less above average, QB remains to be seen.

I saw the story. I am so desperate for a legitimate QB that maybe it has clouded my judgement. Nevertheless, I still think he was a steal at pick 41.

Side note: Funny how some are so ready eager to write off Clausen but yet the very same people are on the Brian Brohm bandwagon....(promo I am not saying your on the BB bandwagon)

I think you prove how opinions die hard. You convince yourself that Clausen was so good, and when reality shows he's not even going to make an NFL roster you still cling to the ideas that he's something special. What is the difference between you and the people making draft decisions for the Bills pre-Nix?

PTR

Sometimes free speech, as does religious freedom, goes too far.

Even beyond all the other bizarre crap you're saying today, I'm amazed that you think the right of freedom of speech should be restricted because someone on a website thinks Clausen is awesome and Brohm is awful.

There were strong competing scouting views on Clausen. Some scouts were on the side that he was the most pro ready because he played for Weiss and in a pro system in college. There was another strong scouting view that there was nothing distinguishable about Clausen. Most scouts felt that Clausen was capable of playing in the NFL but not necessarily being an impact type of qb.

I don't think that Terry Bradshaw dislikes Clausen so much as he is giving his candid view on him. Evidently, Nix and Gailey both fall on the side that Clausen is not going to be a franchise qb who would be much of a difference maker.

The Bills are in a rebuilding stage. The wise strategy is to take highly drafted players who you feel are more sure to make it. I'm not suggesting that Clausen is not going to be a qood qb. I just don't know. What I can say about our drafting strategy this year is whether you agree with the players taken or not taken there is a coherency to the picks and drafting strategy.

If Clausen was that good, there wouldn't be so much disparity in opinion about him. I don't understand how fans don't see that. There were enough red flags about the kid that taking him would have been a huge risk at #9.

But why not take him at #41, people ask, well I bet Nix and Gailey didn't like him more 2 hours later and felt that Troup was the better player.

If Clausen was that good, there wouldn't be so much disparity in opinion about him. I don't understand how fans don't see that. There were enough red flags about the kid that taking him would have been a huge risk at #9.

But why not take him at #41, people ask, well I bet Nix and Gailey didn't like him more 2 hours later and felt that Troup was the better player.

Some people worship draft gurus like they are infallible deities. Even when 32 NFL front offices say otherwise, the word of the draft guru trumps all. :rolleyes:

PTR