What player does C.J. Spiller most resemble?

Hossage

I came across some Dave Megget highlights, and I still have an old Eric Metcalf poster. It got me thinking.

Marshall Faulk?

I saw Spiller standing next to Drayton Florence, and Florence was a bigger man at the same height.

The guy no one ever mentions..Brian Westbrook, just faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0-_1126vnI

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think he is bigger than Johnson. I doubt spiller is an honest 200 pounds. I dont think he is as thick as Thurman.

Thurman wasnt 200 pounds either, played most of his career around 190

I remember when I wasnt 200 pounds

I think people are over thinking this. First off we don't know what he is going to look like in the NFL but we have seen him look incredibly promising in college. I think the rather obvious answer is going to be Reggie Bush all facets of the game offensive weapon with Chris Johnson speed and elusiveness. Reggie Bush is really fast but Spiller and Chris Johnson are on another level. No other comparison really sums him all up. That being said his rather obvious skills could negatively be impacted by a lack of talent up front and the lack of the threat of a deep ball if old noodle arm gets the starting job. It's up to Gailey to figure out how to use him.

To utilize his ridiculous Chris Johnson speed and elusiveness as a pure RB we need and offensive line as effective as the Titans. Not looking so good in that respect.

To utilize his multi talented "offensive weapon" running, receiving and return Reggie Bush like skills Gailey needs to be creative with him.

Some may not think so but comparing him to Reggie Bush is a huge compliment. Before all of Reggie's injuries he drew so much attention from the defense it was ridiculous. The problem is that in New Orleans they used Reggie as a decoy too much in my opinion. He was very valuable to the team as a whole and helped them win a super bowl but you don't get stats for being a decoy and his numbers suffered. Obviously the is no comparison between individual numbers and winning the super bowl. Just talking about individual effectiveness and stats because of the thread topic.

Warrick Dunn

Warrick Dunn was smaller and not as fast but was a GREAT RB. ...HRM...actually size and speed aside it's not a bad comparison at all but when I see Spiller I just don't see Dunn in his game.

I think people are over thinking this. First off we don't know what he is going to look like in the NFL but we have seen him look incredibly promising in college. I think the rather obvious answer is going to be Reggie Bush all facets of the game offensive weapon with Chris Johnson speed and elusiveness. Reggie Bush is really fast but Spiller and Chris Johnson are on another level. No other comparison really sums him all up. That being said his rather obvious skills could negatively be impacted by a lack of talent up front and the lack of the threat of a deep ball if old noodle arm gets the starting job. It's up to Gailey to figure out how to use him.

To utilize his ridiculous Chris Johnson speed and elusiveness as a pure RB we need and offensive line as effective as the Titans. Not looking so good in that respect.

To utilize his multi talented "offensive weapon" running, receiving and return Reggie Bush like skills Gailey needs to be creative with him.

Some may not think so but comparing him to Reggie Bush is a huge compliment. Before all of Reggie's injuries he drew so much attention from the defense it was ridiculous. The problem is that in New Orleans they used Reggie as a decoy too much in my opinion. He was very valuable to the team as a whole and helped them win a super bowl but you don't get stats for being a decoy and his numbers suffered. Obviously the is no comparison between individual numbers and winning the super bowl. Just talking about individual effectiveness and stats because of the thread topic.

Chris Johnson is on another level. There are not many men on earth tha record sub 4.3 40s. Spiller and Reggie Bush are on the same level - that being sub 4.4 40s.

But comparing Johnson to Spiller is silly. They have very different running styles. Jonson also never splits out at wide out or returns kicks. Just because they are both 200lbs and fast doesnt make them similiar players.

Reggie Bush and Spiller are much better comparisons.

PS: For the record, Spiller ran a 4.37 40, Chris Johnson was a 4.24. Spiller wasnt even the fastest RB at the combine. That was Javid Best, a player who I thought was/is going to be a better pure RB than Spiller. To compare, McKelvin ran a 4.38 at the combine in 2008.

Jacoby Ford ran the 4.28, bc he is also a Clemson guy, people think Spiller ran a 4.28

There is a huge diference in 4.24 and 4.37 - albeit Spillers time is very good, there are a lot of guys at that speed in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

I'm going to get blasted for this, but Spiller reminds me of Barry Sanders. Seriously!

Actually Barry sanders and Ray Rice's ht and weight are nearly identical at 5 8 210.

Spiller is 15 lbs lighter and 5-11. Both Bush and Johnson seem thinner and taller, Johnson being the most, which completely tosses out the height wt equation for "every down backs".

I can’t wait to see this kid play. His ability to make subtle cuts at full speed should bode well for how his big play ability translates to the NFL…

Chris Johnson is on another level. There are not many men on earth tha record sub 4.3 40s. Spiller and Reggie Bush are on the same level - that being sub 4.4 40s.

But comparing Johnson to Spiller is silly. They have very different running styles. Jonson also never splits out at wide out or returns kicks. Just because they are both 200lbs and fast doesnt make them similiar players.

PS: For the record, Spiller ran a 4.37 40, Chris Johnson was a 4.24. Spiller wasnt even the fastest RB at the combine. That was Javid Best, a player who I thought was/is going to be a better pure RB than Spiller. To compare, McKelvin ran a 4.38 at the combine in 2008.

Jacoby Ford ran the 4.28, bc he is also a Clemson guy, people think Spiller ran a 4.28

There is a huge diference in 4.24 and 4.37 - albeit Spillers time is very good, there are a lot of guys at that speed in the NFL.

Lee Evans to name one.. But i have read (true or not) he his best 40 time was 4.25.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...0&genpos=RB

He reminds me of no one, yet! Give the guy a chance to play first for pete's sake. He hasn't even taken a snap yet. When 2010 ends, then at least there may be a body of work in which to evaluate his play and compare him a bit more knowledgeably.

He reminds me of no one, yet! Give the guy a chance to play first for pete's sake. He hasn't even taken a snap yet. When 2010 ends, then at least there may be a body of work in which to evaluate his play and compare him a bit more knowledgeably.

Don't spoil my speculation.

So the nfl footage that has him running 4.27 and 4.28 dont mean anything?

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vibKFp6y_lc