Interesting Comparison Of TE to Sanchez and Henne

Dude, don't go all Mel Gibson on me. That isn't my quote, it's Pete Prisco's in his article. And for what it's worth, though this probably won't matter to you, he was comparing Edward's 2008 stats with Sanchez's 2009 ones, which seems a fair way to do it as they were both at about the same level of their careers at that point. As to Edwards's 2009 season, I don't think the Bills would have won much more than two additional games (if that) with Tom Brady behind that learning-on-the-job O line and with that god-awful approach to offense and the endless injuries, etc.

LOL. Mel Gibson. You got me...that was funny. I have been known to be a little over the top. Sorry man. But ya...I can't blame this guy for predicting that we end up at the bottom due to an unresolved QB situation. As much as I want to believe in the whole pecking order thing and blah blah blah, the old saying hold up 100%. If you've got 2 or 3, you don't have one. Unless we are to believe they are all just so ridiculously close in terms of effectiveness we are probably in some bad news for QB. The only hope is that our skill players and new coaching staff can provide some excitement.

For us to really go anywhere but the bottom of the AFC East we will likely need a new offense as ground breaking and unexpected as the wild cat was a few years ago.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the conclusion I draw from the CBS article is that 2 years ago they were saying the same things about up and coming star quarterback Trent Edwards. They even picked him as a fantasy sleeper. Well he turned out to be a sleeper alright in 2009. Even though his stats look similar, remember that he only played in 7 games, while the others played a full season. However, what these stats show me is that it is entirely possible, that like Edwards one or both of Sanchez and Henne could totally tank in his second season. To suggest that the Jets and Dolphins both have the QB position locked up is laughable. Sanchez had some pretty ugly games last year (how many picks did he throw against the Bills?). Henne for the most part played it safe. Neither of them have really proved that they can carry their team on their shoulders yet.

As far as the Bills go, from reading articles on the team website and watching the minicamp videos, it kind of seems like the team is giving a lot of media attention to Fitzpatrick and Brohm and only a little coverage to Edwards. It seems like, barring a disastrous training camp, the team would be best served to see what Brohm can do. Chances are, if Edwards gets to be the starter, he will be injured at some point during the season and either Brohm or Fitz will be in there anyway. I have trouble getting behind Edwards at this point, he has had so many limp performances and he just doesn't show the ability to survive the whole season. He hasn't come anywhere close to playing 16 games in one year yet. He's good for 7 or 8 games of healthy play where 2 or 3 of those he will be questionable coming off of his last injury. Give Brohm a chance and if he fails, draft somebody next year.

I'm not defending T. Edwards; there have been times during both J.P.'s time and Edwards' time with the Bills that I liked each, and then there were times when I rooted for someone to replace them both. That said, Edwards, prior to last year, looked like a smart, decisive young QB. He was bringing the Bills from behind to win, or keeping them right in there with teams back in 2008. Sure, it wasn't always good, but after 2008 people were saying the same things about him as they are now saying about Sanchez.

I absolutely hated the way Edwards looked last year. There are excuses - the O-line, the firing of the O.C., the different input and conflicting information he was being given. Still, I suspect if you would have put Favre, or McNabb, or Brady in the same situation, with just last offseason to prepare, they'd of done better.

So, if you just chalk last year up to circumstances out of control, then Edwards might rebound and have a 3000+ yard season, with 25 touchdowns or so. Then, there's Brohm. He might out perform the others in camp and lead us. Either way, whoever is playing, they'll have to have a really good, consistent season to prevent us from going after one of the good QB's coming out next year. In that light, I can live with what we have right now and see what happens.

I think the conclusion I draw from the CBS article is that 2 years ago they were saying the same things about up and coming star quarterback Trent Edwards. They even picked him as a fantasy sleeper. Well he turned out to be a sleeper alright in 2009. Even though his stats look similar, remember that he only played in 7 games, while the others played a full season. However, what these stats show me is that it is entirely possible, that like Edwards one or both of Sanchez and Henne could totally tank in his second season. To suggest that the Jets and Dolphins both have the QB position locked up is laughable. Sanchez had some pretty ugly games last year (how many picks did he throw against the Bills?). Henne for the most part played it safe. Neither of them have really proved that they can carry their team on their shoulders yet.

As far as the Bills go, from reading articles on the team website and watching the minicamp videos, it kind of seems like the team is giving a lot of media attention to Fitzpatrick and Brohm and only a little coverage to Edwards. It seems like, barring a disastrous training camp, the team would be best served to see what Brohm can do. Chances are, if Edwards gets to be the starter, he will be injured at some point during the season and either Brohm or Fitz will be in there anyway. I have trouble getting behind Edwards at this point, he has had so many limp performances and he just doesn't show the ability to survive the whole season. He hasn't come anywhere close to playing 16 games in one year yet. He's good for 7 or 8 games of healthy play where 2 or 3 of those he will be questionable coming off of his last injury. Give Brohm a chance and if he fails, draft somebody next year.

Right. All I really truly needed to once and for all sink the nail in his coffin was to look at the highlights from OTAs. Edwards throws perhaps the ugliest wobbliest ball I have ever seen a professional QB throw. No wonder he can't go deep with any accuracy or timing. Lame duck city.

One of the reasons the pundits are giving these two QBs a chance is that they will cotninue to work behind their good OLs, whereas the Bills OL is still a BIG question mark. Given that Edwards needs a good line to protect him the pundits are skeptical that he will have a chance to make plays.

I may be wrong, but what I conclude, both from this information and the fact that we waited until the 7th round to pick a QB, is that Chan and Buddy think that Trent has the tools to be at least adequate, given a better scheme and coaching.

Here's what you need to know about how Nix/Gailey feel about the present Bills QB:

1. Both have said they will rebuild through the draft, and it will take more than one year

2. Whoever is drafted in the first and second round is expected to start immediately

3. They will not over pay for players

4. The Bills were highly interested Bradford before the draft

5. After the draft, the Bills tried to acquire a viable starting veteran QB

I conclude, based on their own actions and words, the Bills are not overly satisfied with the present QBs.

They had no intentions of drafting a high profile college QB that needs additional development, because in the end, high profile or not, it still ends up meaning the same thing: a project QB.

The Bills have enough "projects". Time to start finding out if the "projects" are worth squat or need to be sent packing.

Funny how so many have an opinion they are happy to share on Trent Edwards but very few have anything to say about Sanchez and Henne.

At one time this week, there were no less than 3 Trent Edwards threads on page 1 of The Stadium Wall.

C'mon people. Trent Edwards has been talked to death.

As far as Henne and Sanchez go, neither of them in their short pro careers have accomplished ANYTHING.

In my opinion, neither of them had much of a college career but in different ways.

Henne was a 4 year starter at Michigan (45 starts) who consistently came up small in big games and who many Michigan fans view as having had a disappointing career at Ann Arbor.

Sanchez on the other hand, played in only 22 and started only 16 games at USC.

I'm not at all sold on Chad Henne. I was surprised when Miami drafted him as high (2nd round) as they did. Henne must really look the part because so many people have invested so much in him with not that much to show for it. Four year starter in high school (Pennsylvania). He was offered scholarships from 40 schools. The guy has played a ton of football. I recall him having one meaningful good game against Florida. Other than that, Henne was given more opportunity (starts) than any Michigan quarterback ever but he's nowhere near the player Jim Harbaugh was in college.

Sanchez seems like he has some natural talent and some of the qualities you look for in a quarterback.

But based on the small sample size of his career, he's nowhere near a can't-miss QB. I was surprised that the Jets traded up and took him 5th overall.

Kudos to them for targeting their guy and getting him but it seems like they had him rated higher than any other NFL team.

I don't remember Sanchez being viewed as a top 5 pick.

All in all, these two players exemplify the desperation and the pressure which many NFL teams feel when chasing the next "franchise quarterback." It's so easy to reach for one and miss with him.

What I'm waiting to see is how Gailey chooses the QB order when training camp rolls around and everyone is playing with pads. Though there shouldn't be any sacking, I'd like to see how they are evaluated with some pressure in their faces in more game-like situations. Especially if the OL isn't that much improved. I would like to think that he is a better evaluator of QBs than DJ.

Side note: I would also hope that with better conditioning from the new strength coaches, the OL will be able to perform better.

Funny how so many have an opinion they are happy to share on Trent Edwards but very few have anything to say about Sanchez and Henne.

At one time this week, there were no less than 3 Trent Edwards threads on page 1 of The Stadium Wall.

C'mon people. Trent Edwards has been talked to death.

As far as Henne and Sanchez go, neither of them in their short pro careers have accomplished ANYTHING.

In my opinion, neither of them had much of a college career but in different ways.

Henne was a 4 year starter at Michigan (45 starts) who consistently came up small in big games and who many Michigan fans view as having had a disappointing career at Ann Arbor.

Sanchez on the other hand, played in only 22 and started only 16 games at USC.

I'm not at all sold on Chad Henne. I was surprised when Miami drafted him as high (2nd round) as they did. Henne must really look the part because so many people have invested so much in him with not that much to show for it. Four year starter in high school (Pennsylvania). He was offered scholarships from 40 schools. The guy has played a ton of football. I recall him having one meaningful good game against Florida. Other than that, Henne was given more opportunity (starts) than any Michigan quarterback ever but he's nowhere near the player Jim Harbaugh was in college.

Sanchez seems like he has some natural talent and some of the qualities you look for in a quarterback.

But based on the small sample size of his career, he's nowhere near a can't-miss QB. I was surprised that the Jets traded up and took him 5th overall.

Kudos to them for targeting their guy and getting him but it seems like they had him rated higher than any other NFL team.

I don't remember Sanchez being viewed as a top 5 pick.

All in all, these two players exemplify the desperation and the pressure which many NFL teams feel when chasing the next "franchise quarterback." It's so easy to reach for one and miss with him.

Right on! Neither has established anything performance wise. The expectation is for their careers to blossom based of their draft positions, but there is absolutely no guarantee that that will happen. Only time will tell who was right and who was wrong.

The one thing that both Sanchez and Henne have on Trent is that they've shown that they can be leaders that their teammates will follow. Trent, after 4 years, is still struggling to be the starter because he still hasn't shown that he can play with confidence and lead his team. All the nice stats in the world don't mean squat next to being a leader.

What stats are you talking about? Checkdown completion percentage? YOU DO REALIZE THAT SANCHEZ AND HENNE WERE FIRST YEAR STARTERS LAST YEAR RIGHT? Sanchez is entering his second year in the league, Henne is entering his 3rd and Trent is entering his 4th and 4th year getting starts. (Yes Henne had 3 starts 2 years ago due to a Pennington injury).

THIS is why they are saying that we are a virtual lock on the bottom of the AFC East. Edwards has had plenty of time to show us what he can do or more specifically what he can't do. These guys are unproven and have MUCH greater potential to improve on their performances of the previous year. Trent has had 3 years, going on 4, of mediocrity and ball-less checkdowns.

He was comparing Edwards stats as a first year starter.

I looked up the stats for the three QBs in question. Here they are:

Edwards 2008

• Yards per attempt: 7.2
  • TD/INT ratio: 1.1
  • QB rating: 85.4

Henne 2009

• Yards per attempt: 6.4
  • TD/INT ratio: 0.9
  • QB rating: 75.2

Sanchez 2009

• Yards per attempt: 6.7
  • TD/INT ratio: 0.6
  • QB rating: 63.0

Edwards 2009

• QB rating: 73.8

In 2007, Trent became the starter about 1/2 way in and showed us:

Edwards 2007

• Yards per attempt: 6.1
  • QB rating:70.4

Now compare Edwards first full year as starter to another ex-Bill QB named Lossman. We know How that turned out.

Lossman 2006

• Yards per attempt: 7.1
  • TD/INT ratio: 1.4
  • QB rating:84.9

The one thing that both Sanchez and Henne have on Trent is that they've shown that they can be leaders that their teammates will follow. Trent, after 4 years, is still struggling to be the starter because he still hasn't shown that he can play with confidence and lead his team. All the nice stats in the world don't mean squat next to being a leader.

I don't know what you base the bolded on. As I and others have stated, neither Sanchez nor Henne have proven a single thing in the NFL yet.

I think it would be more accurate to say that neither quarterback has disproven that they can be leaders that their teammates will follow.

When we tried to trade for McNabb, had interest in Campbell, and didnt name a starter right away, it tells me that Chan/Nix are not sold of any QB on the roster. They dont think any one is better than the other, or one of them is better suited for what the offense will be.

houston, we have a problem.

That's right.....2008 season.

Yeah, Losman's 2006 season was better than all of them by quite a bit, and I don't see a clamor to bring him back.

The good thing I take from that is maybe Henne and Sanchez will be lousy. That would be excellent. I looked at their stats and they weren't as good as I had remembered, though Henne's last four games were significantly better than he'd been earlier in the season. I remembered Sanchez as also improving near the end of the year, but the stats don't show it. Still, the Jets just need a guy who can be decent and avoid mistakes, and IMHO the Bills and Fins need someone who can make a difference and win a few games, more than a game manager.

I'm rooting for Trent (and Brohm, Fitz and Brown) but haven't seen anything to make me believe. Here's to hoping.

Edwards 2008

Henne 2009

Sanchez 2009

Edwards 2009

What I found interesting about those numbers is that even in 2009, Edwards' numbers were about the same as those of Henne and Sanchez. In fact, Edwards' numbers and Henne's for 2009 are basically identical. And yet . . . Edwards did not look like a playoff-caliber QB in 2009--or anywhere close. I think a big part of the reason why Henne and Sanchez are considered better QBs than Edwards is because they're expected to improve; whereas it may be felt that Edwards has plateaued.

It's also worth noting that Edwards played without an offensive line, and in an offensive scheme recently derided by Jim Kelly. Sanchez, on the other hand, played behind a really good OL; and Henne's situation was also better than was Edwards'.

Possibly, Henne and Sanchez will improve their numbers, and thus justify the high opinions many talking heads have of them. But if their numbers stay the same, I'd conclude that neither the Dolphins nor the Jets would have a first-rate player at QB.

Gotta agree.

Not based on any stats, but just watching them play, I'd give Henne the edge in passing. I saw him throw some really nice long balls late in the year. Cool offensive philosophy the Fish had working. Lull 'em in with the run and Wildcat, and then beat 'em with the long ball.

I was not that impressed with Sanchez last year. If he played for the Bills last year he would have looked about as effective as Trent did. He was the beneficiary of a really good OLine, good D, and and one of the best run games in the league. But I do give him the nod in the leadership and confidence department, which is so important.

We'll see how they do this year, but I don't think either one is all that good.

Edwards 2008

Henne 2009

Sanchez 2009

Edwards 2009

What I found interesting about those numbers is that even in 2009, Edwards' numbers were about the same as those of Henne and Sanchez. In fact, Edwards' numbers and Henne's for 2009 are basically identical. And yet . . . Edwards did not look like a playoff-caliber QB in 2009--or anywhere close. I think a big part of the reason why Henne and Sanchez are considered better QBs than Edwards is because they're expected to improve; whereas it may be felt that Edwards has plateaued.

It's also worth noting that Edwards played without an offensive line, and in an offensive scheme recently derided by Jim Kelly. Sanchez, on the other hand, played behind a really good OL; and Henne's situation was also better than was Edwards'.

Possibly, Henne and Sanchez will improve their numbers, and thus justify the high opinions many talking heads have of them. But if their numbers stay the same, I'd conclude that neither the Dolphins nor the Jets would have a first-rate player at QB.

I just cannot believe the Jets almost went to the SB with Sanchez playing like that. Did his numbers improve continually throughout the season and into the playoffs?