Interesting Comparison Of TE to Sanchez and Henne

Here's a link to an interesting story by Pete Prisco at CBS Sports about the Bills QB situation:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13644093

And here's the quote that stood out to me:

Because of the uncertainty at quarterback, the Bills are considered a lock for the bottom of the AFC East. It is a division with three other teams that don't have quarterback issues. The New England Patriots have Tom Brady, the New York Jets have Mark Sanchez and the Miami Dolphins have Chad Henne.

Brady is established as a star, and the thinking is that Sanchez and Henne are ready to take the next step.

But you might find interesting: Edwards' 2008 season was significantly better stat-wise than the seasons Sanchez and Henne had in 2009. Yet the latter two are considered rising quarterbacks and Edwards is fighting for his job.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a link to an interesting story by Pete Prisco at CBS Sports about the Bills QB situation:

Because of the uncertainty at quarterback, the Bills are considered a lock for the bottom of the AFC East. It is a division with three other teams that don't have quarterback issues. The New England Patriots have Tom Brady, the New York Jets have Mark Sanchez and the Miami Dolphins have Chad Henne.

Brady is established as a star, and the thinking is that Sanchez and Henne are ready to take the next step.

But you might find interesting: Edwards' 2008 season was significantly better stat-wise than the seasons Sanchez and Henne had in 2009. Yet the latter two are considered rising quarterbacks and Edwards is fighting for his job.

That's right.....2008 season.

But you might find interesting: Edwards' 2008 season was significantly better stat-wise than the seasons Sanchez and Henne had in 2009. Yet the latter two are considered rising quarterbacks and Edwards is fighting for his job. [/i]

I looked up the stats for the three QBs in question. Here they are:

Edwards 2008

• Yards per attempt: 7.2
  • TD/INT ratio: 1.1
  • QB rating: 85.4

Henne 2009

• Yards per attempt: 6.4
  • TD/INT ratio: 0.9
  • QB rating: 75.2

Sanchez 2009

• Yards per attempt: 6.7
  • TD/INT ratio: 0.6
  • QB rating: 63.0

Edwards 2009

• QB rating: 73.8

What I found interesting about those numbers is that even in 2009, Edwards' numbers were about the same as those of Henne and Sanchez. In fact, Edwards' numbers and Henne's for 2009 are basically identical. And yet . . . Edwards did not look like a playoff-caliber QB in 2009--or anywhere close. I think a big part of the reason why Henne and Sanchez are considered better QBs than Edwards is because they're expected to improve; whereas it may be felt that Edwards has plateaued.

It's also worth noting that Edwards played without an offensive line, and in an offensive scheme recently derided by Jim Kelly. Sanchez, on the other hand, played behind a really good OL; and Henne's situation was also better than was Edwards'.

Possibly, Henne and Sanchez will improve their numbers, and thus justify the high opinions many talking heads have of them. But if their numbers stay the same, I'd conclude that neither the Dolphins nor the Jets would have a first-rate player at QB.

Edwards 2008

Henne 2009

Sanchez 2009

Edwards 2009

What I found interesting about those numbers is that even in 2009, Edwards' numbers were about the same as those of Henne and Sanchez. In fact, Edwards' numbers and Henne's for 2009 are basically identical. And yet . . . Edwards did not look like a playoff-caliber QB in 2009--or anywhere close. I think a big part of the reason why Henne and Sanchez are considered better QBs than Edwards is because they're expected to improve; whereas it may be felt that Edwards has plateaued.

It's also worth noting that Edwards played without an offensive line, and in an offensive scheme recently derided by Jim Kelly. Sanchez, on the other hand, played behind a really good OL; and Henne's situation was also better than was Edwards'.

Possibly, Henne and Sanchez will improve their numbers, and thus justify the high opinions many talking heads have of them. But if their numbers stay the same, I'd conclude that neither the Dolphins nor the Jets would have a first-rate player at QB.

Good info. Thanks for that. I highlighted part of your statement because this is what perplexes me about the (non-Bills fans) detractors of this team (like the NFL network clowns). To them, the Jets are faaaabulous with a great QB star in the making while the Bills are doomed. To me, it's all about the bandwagon effect of hype. Once the image of a player or a team is set, it's very difficult for them to be perceived in a different light. The only thing that will change those perceptions is winning.

Edwards 2008

Henne 2009

Sanchez 2009

Edwards 2009

Interesting stuff.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Jests and Phins had better teams around their QBs on both sides of the ball. Especially Sanchez. A rookie QB could not have come into a better situation than he did with that Oline and the number one rushing offense in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

I may be wrong, but what I conclude, both from this information and the fact that we waited until the 7th round to pick a QB, is that Chan and Buddy think that Trent has the tools to be at least adequate, given a better scheme and coaching.

or they knew they had BROHM!

Interesting stuff.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Jests and Phins had better teams around their QBs on both sides of the ball. Especially Sanchez. A rookie QB could not have come into a better situation than he did with that Oline and the number one rushing offense in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. The teams around Henne and Sanchez are far superior to what we've had in Buffalo in many years. That includes players and coaches.

That being said, in my opinion a QB needs to be a leader and Trent is not. It remains to be seen if that develops in him if he starts to have success, but to this point it hasn't been there. Sanchez seems to have it. Not sure about Henne. I personally don't think much of him. We'll have to wait and see what happens with the battle for the Bills starting QB job and also to see how Henne and Sanchez progess in their careers. But basing any opinion strictly on their stats so far is completely faulty logic. Keep in mind, none of them have yet to surpass JP's stats from '06.

Go Bills.

Interesting stuff.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with your post. The Jets were extremely cautious about bringing Sanchez along, and about what they asked him to do. With that OL and that running game, it was a great situation in which he could develop.

Just to add to what you've written: Mark Sanchez was drafted fifth overall. At this point in the process, I think that a lot of people are giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his draft position. Also, you don't normally expect rookie QBs to play all that well. So I think his rookie performance is being graded on a curve, and perhaps rightly so. But that said, he will need to significantly improve his level of play if he's going to justify his draft position and sportswriters' high opinion of him.

Interesting stuff.

The Dols weren't much better than the Bills last year. In 2008, they had Pennington. The Jets definitely had a much better team around Sanchez, namely the running game and defense.

What stats are you talking about? Checkdown completion percentage? YOU DO REALIZE THAT SANCHEZ AND HENNE WERE FIRST YEAR STARTERS LAST YEAR RIGHT? Sanchez is entering his second year in the league, Henne is entering his 3rd and Trent is entering his 4th and 4th year getting starts. (Yes Henne had 3 starts 2 years ago due to a Pennington injury).

THIS is why they are saying that we are a virtual lock on the bottom of the AFC East. Edwards has had plenty of time to show us what he can do or more specifically what he can't do. These guys are unproven and have MUCH greater potential to improve on their performances of the previous year. Trent has had 3 years, going on 4, of mediocrity and ball-less checkdowns.

What stats are you talking about? Checkdown completion percentage? YOU DO REALIZE THAT SANCHEZ AND HENNE WERE FIRST YEAR STARTERS LAST YEAR RIGHT? Sanchez is entering his second year in the league, Henne is entering his 3rd and Trent is entering his 4th and 4th year getting starts. (Yes Henne had 3 starts 2 years ago due to a Pennington injury).

THIS is why they are saying that we are a virtual lock on the bottom of the AFC East. Edwards has had plenty of time to show us what he can do or more specifically what he can't do. These guys are unproven and have MUCH greater potential to improve on their performances of the previous year. Trent has had 3 years, going on 4, of mediocrity and ball-less checkdowns.

Dude, don't go all Mel Gibson on me. That isn't my quote, it's Pete Prisco's in his article. And for what it's worth, though this probably won't matter to you, he was comparing Edward's 2008 stats with Sanchez's 2009 ones, which seems a fair way to do it as they were both at about the same level of their careers at that point. As to Edwards's 2009 season, I don't think the Bills would have won much more than two additional games (if that) with Tom Brady behind that learning-on-the-job O line and with that god-awful approach to offense and the endless injuries, etc.

Perhaps TE does not have the upside of either Henne or Sanchez - who knows - but neither of those guys have looked like a competent NFL QB so far. It is astounding to me the way the pundits rave about the Jets and Dolphins yet their QB's have not shown themselves to be even average so far. The Jets won 9 games despite Sanchez's erratic play and Henne is consistently not up to it when the game needs to be put in his hands.

Assuming better line play, better running games, and better coaching as most would readily agree to for the Jests and Dolphags, these QB's have not exactly risen to the top. Not sure what Edwards or Brohm will do with better coaching, game planning, and hopefully, better (or at least consistent) line play this year, but there is every possibility the Bills will be better off at QB, or at least as good, as those two teams, despite neither TE or BB looking like they are all pro material so far.