If LeBron James doesn't re-sign with Cleveland...

Buftex

Someone who has an ego the size of Lebron's will go to the place that possesses the most ego-maniacs: New York.

I read an article that talked about NY Knicks executives pitching Lebron on the amount of money he could make playing in NYC and the number was $1Billion. I'm sure Lebron, who had stated that he wanted to be the first billionaire athlete, will have that number weigh heavily on his decision.

I know next to nothing about the NBA, but I have heard more than one sports marketing expert say this all l comes down to winning championships. If Labron wants to become a global icon, he has to make it big in China. And China only likes winners..being great on a 2nd place team does not sell sneakers in Bejing.

Playing in NY no longer leads to bigger endorsements, as the advent of "any sport i want, any time i want it, i can watch any game on my phone era" has taken away that advantage. How many Knick games did you see on the TV last year? I do not know that i can name even one Knick.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know next to nothing about the NBA, but I have heard more than one sports marketing expert say this all l comes down to winning championships. If Labron wants to become a global icon, he has to make it big in China. And China only likes winners..being great on a 2nd place team does not sell sneakers in Bejing.

Playing in NY no longer leads to bigger endorsements, as the advent of "any sport i want, any time i want it, i can watch any game on my phone era" has taken away that advantage. How many Knick games did you see on the TV last year? I do not know that i can name even one Knick.

This particular sports marketing firm based its number on a few different variables and the outcome was that Lebron would earn at least $1Billion and at most $2Billion, if he came to play for the Knicks.

I'm sure if Lebron played with the Knicks, more games would be televised.

Link to Forbes articles on Lebron and if he came to play for NY.

He wants to win it all... Can he do that that in Cleveland? Just imagine is Pat Kane choose to play for BFLO and the Sabres gave (which they offered) the "farm" to the 'Hawks... Would he have won a Cup by now? I hate that a hometown guy is playing elsewhere... But the pressure is a lot less while young.

IMO, it kinda sucks that James went to his hometown off the bat... Big-time expectations and bigger time failure. I can see him bringing a trophy to the CLEV a lot easier if he would have been somewhere else first.

Just my $.02.

I don't know. Kane probably wouldn't have won a cup for Buffalo but I think that's mostly because the other players on the Sabres - like the Cavs - are not any good. I mean Ryan Miller would have a better chance of winning if he were playing in his home state of Michigan.

The Cavs had the best record in the league last year, it's not as if they are far off from winning a title.

As far as I could tell, Lebron choked against the Celtics; it would be lame for him to blame the lack of talent around him.

They don't have a single decent player anybody wants. It would be lame for him to blame others because that's not what athletes are supposed to do, but teammates have quite obviously held him back.

I have to believe he already decided on Miami awhile ago and both Wade and Bosh know it.

If he wants to win multiple championships, he really has two choices...Miami or Chicago. Teaming up with Amar'e in NY doesn't make them much better than Miami (maybe even worse). Staying in Cleveland is a great story, but its a losing proposition. Going to NJ/Brooklyn is stupid.

Chicago with Rose, Boozer and Noah would be pretty filthy. And as I mentioned in another thread, it's his best chance to win and not tarnish his brand. If he goes to Miami and wins 6 rings, people are still going to always make the argument that, at best, he needed Wade and/or Bosh, and at worst, Wade was actually the driving force.

And while I sort of agree that this whole thing is a little ridiculous (the announcement special), remember that he will announce within the first 10 mins. It won't be 59 minutes of lead-up. And honestly, if there weren't crazy ass people to watch these kinds of things (myself included), there wouldn't be a market for it. Buftex, I agree that this would be an unnecessary kick in the nuts for Cleveland if he spurns them. But I also don't think it really matters that much. If he's leaving, it will devastate that city and its fans...the method in which they hear about it won't really make that much of a difference.

For me the Jordan thing would be too much to go to Chicago though. I'm not sure NJ/Brooklyn is that stupid - as terrible as they were last year they have better pieces in place than the Knicks and Cavs. I agree it would be a jerk move to leave Cleveland this way.

This particular sports marketing firm based its number on a few different variables and the outcome was that Lebron would earn at least $1Billion and at most $2Billion, if he came to play for the Knicks.

I'm sure if Lebron played with the Knicks, more games would be televised.

Link to Forbes articles on Lebron and if he came to play for NY.

Obviously wherever he goes is going to be on ESPN/TNT weekly. I tend to agree with Plenzmd more than that article about the city not mattering much with respect to endorsements in contemporary times.

I don't understand why he's a dick if he leaves Cleveland. He was drafted there (after they tanked a season to have the best chance at the #1 pick) and he made them relevant. He's played 7 years there (already re-signed with them once) and given them incredible regular seasons, several playoff runs, a trip to the finals, and two NBA MVP awards...Not to mention millions upon millions of dollars in ticket sales, sponsorships, and merchandise revenue. You can't say Cleveland's organization hasn't tried to surround him with championship pieces...They have...They've retooled the roster several times in an attempt to bring in guys who could support Lebron. It's just that Mo Williams, Delonte West, Antawn Jamison, and 36-year old Shaq aren't very good, when matched up in a 7-game series against the best 4 from Orlando, Boston, or a western conference contender. It hasn't worked out, and it happens.

The best thing for LeBron is to win. He needs it for his legacy, his brand, his money, his icon status. It doesn't matter where. Cleveland, Portland, NY, Miami...He doesn't need a major media market. He just needs to win, and he should go to the place where he thinks he has the best chance to do that. As far as the "he couldn't win it on his own" angle, "he needed player X to help"...Who cares??? Win eight titles and let history sort that b.s. out as far as comparing titles.

In my opinion, the best thing he could do would be to sign a 3-year deal with Cleveland, give them a full decade of service. They have had the best regular season record the past two years. THey are a contender with LeBron. He should try to bring a title to the city. By doing so, he can still play the "hometown hero" role. If they win, he's a miracle man and in Cleveland's hearts forever. If they don't, he can take a 5-year max contract in 2013 to go to a loaded roster (he'll only be 28), and state that he tried for a decade in Cleveland but it just wasn't in the cards.

But frankly, I have no problem with him going anywhere else. That's sports. The hour long special is what it is. Don't pin it on LeBron, the show reeks of Nike and ESPN, who's own corporate self-promotions make LeBron look like a buddhist monk.

Meanwhile, while "King" James looks to join whichever All Star team gives him a chance at a title, the real best player in the game is just sitting back and smiling, glossing up his 5th championship ring.

I think this nails it. State of LeBron: Live at 9, from his ego

The Championship of Me comes crashing into a primetime cable infomercial that LeBron James(notes) and his cronies have been working to make happen for months, a slow, cynical churning of manufactured drama that sports has never witnessed. As historic monuments go, this is the Rushmore of basketball hubris and narcissism. The vacuous star for our vacuous times. All about ‘Bron and all about nothing.

For me the Jordan thing would be too much to go to Chicago though. I'm not sure NJ/Brooklyn is that stupid - as terrible as they were last year they have better pieces in place than the Knicks and Cavs. I agree it would be a jerk move to leave Cleveland this way.

The Jordan Shadow is definitely something to think about. But you could also think of it in terms of creating a multi-generational dynasty. Kobe isn't diminished due to Magic just as Magic isn't diminished due to Kareem and just as Kareem isn't diminished due to West. They all become part of the legacy of a dominant franchise. Not many teams have dynasties that span generations. LeBron could conceivably elevate Chicago to that very elite stratosphere by winning 4-6 more rings. Now the history of the Bulls no longer starts and ends with Chapter 1: Michael Jordan. It gives him the chance for the greatest legacy ceiling I think. He could actually manage to do the impossible, which is steal a little of the historical spotlight from MJ by making the Bulls about more than just the Jordan Years. Plus, the same history which will judge him as potentially weak if needs Wade/Bosh to win will praise him louder if he defeats them.

And I don't think NJ is the worst situation, but it is not an immediate win situation. I think he might have a better chance of winning with Amar'e and the Knicks than he does with Harris and Lopez. If it's all about guaranteeing a title and nothing else, I'd go:

1. Miami

2. Chicago

3. Dallas

4. NY

5. NJ

6. LAC

7. Cleveland

I don't understand why he's a dick if he leaves Cleveland. He was drafted there (after they tanked a season to have the best chance at the #1 pick) and he made them relevant. He's played 7 years there (already re-signed with them once) and given them incredible regular seasons, several playoff runs, a trip to the finals, and two NBA MVP awards...Not to mention millions upon millions of dollars in ticket sales, sponsorships, and merchandise revenue. You can't say Cleveland's organization hasn't tried to surround him with championship pieces...They have...They've retooled the roster several times in an attempt to bring in guys who could support Lebron. It's just that Mo Williams, Delonte West, Antawn Jamison, and 36-year old Shaq aren't very good, when matched up in a 7-game series against the best 4 from Orlando, Boston, or a western conference contender. It hasn't worked out, and it happens.

The best thing for LeBron is to win. He needs it for his legacy, his brand, his money, his icon status. It doesn't matter where. Cleveland, Portland, NY, Miami...He doesn't need a major media market. He just needs to win, and he should go to the place where he thinks he has the best chance to do that. As far as the "he couldn't win it on his own" angle, "he needed player X to help"...Who cares??? Win eight titles and let history sort that b.s. out as far as comparing titles.

In my opinion, the best thing he could do would be to sign a 3-year deal with Cleveland, give them a full decade of service. They have had the best regular season record the past two years. THey are a contender with LeBron. He should try to bring a title to the city. By doing so, he can still play the "hometown hero" role. If they win, he's a miracle man and in Cleveland's hearts forever. If they don't, he can take a 5-year max contract in 2013 to go to a loaded roster (he'll only be 28), and state that he tried for a decade in Cleveland but it just wasn't in the cards.

But frankly, I have no problem with him going anywhere else. That's sports. The hour long special is what it is. Don't pin it on LeBron, the show reeks of Nike and ESPN, who's own corporate self-promotions make LeBron look like a buddhist monk.

Meanwhile, while "King" James looks to join whichever All Star team gives him a chance at a title, the real best player in the game is just sitting back and smiling, glossing up his 5th championship ring.

I think the point that has people upset, like the OP is to have this primetime special, and may end up kicking Cleveland in the nuts.... The people of that area deserve better. If he isn't going to stay there, then there is no reason to hold a primetime special to crush the hopes and dreams of pretty much the entire state of OH.... If he isn't going to stay with Cleveland, there is no need to publicly announce it. There will be a huge backlash if he doesn't announce he is staying in Cleveland, and IMO it will be well deserved.

People who wonder how Kobe Bryant would have handled this have short memories. He strung everyone along before his opt-out summer of 2004, just as LeBron did. He had the Bulls, Knicks and Clippers come meet him, just as LeBron had teams meet him. (Although at least Kobe's pursuers got to go to Newport Beach instead of Cleveland). Two years later, Kobe changed his number, just as LeBron will next year. So it's a mistake to say Kobe wouldn't have done it the way LeBron did it. He has. He also went on radio to demand a trade, then appeared on another show to retreat from that position, then charged forward again in a different radio appearance. That was followed by the secretly taped parking-lot conversation in which he took swipes at teammate Andrew Bynum and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak. Kobe didn't use technology; technology used him.

He might have been victimized even more by the Internet this year when skillful Photoshop users got hold of his Los Angeles Times Magazine photo spread and reimagined him as everything from E.T. to Willy Wonka. But instead of taking to Twitter to defend himself, Kobe went back to the court and took it out on opposing players. Could it be a coincidence that after the pictures appeared May 2 he scored at least 30 points in 10 of his next 11 games? Or that he became more guarded in his media dealings, doling out increasingly minimal answers as the Lakers went deeper into the playoffs?

Don't flatter yourself about Kobe. Gasol was given to the Lakers for FREE. Give that to Lebron in Cleveland, and let's see what happens.

Another good take from Bill Simmons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/100708

I'm starting to think that LeBron choosing someone other than Cleveland on TV will officially end the Buffalo vs. Cleveland "Most Suffering Sports Cities" debate. I've championed Buffalo for as long as I can, but this would put us back in 2nd place (ironically a spot we know all too well... :thumbsup: )

This is not an option. This likely is the last year before a new CBA comes out which would limit max deals and money. That is why some players opted out of their deals so they could cash in before a new deal is in place.

Remember that he will be an old 28. The age is not an issue but the number of games and minutes are, see Kevin Garnett. The high school to NBA guys have a lot more mileage on their legs than the more traditional player who spent some time in college.

Another good take from Bill Simmons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/100708

I'm starting to think that LeBron choosing someone other than Cleveland on TV will officially end the Buffalo vs. Cleveland "Most Suffering Sports Cities" debate. I've championed Buffalo for as long as I can, but this would put us back in 2nd place (ironically a spot we know all too well... :cry: )

As typical with his stuff I agree & disagree so much:

Did you ever think an NBA free-agency period would include the word "spy"? That would have been the wackiest thing that happened this summer if Darko Milicic, Channing Frye, Amir Johnson and Drew Gooden hadn't signed for a combined $114 million on the same day Atlanta offered Joe Johnson $120 million to thank him for leading the Hawks to a four-game sweep in Round 2 in which they were outscored by 25 points per game.)

:nana:

If one more person refers to Bosh as a "superstar," I'm going to scream. His résumé: seven seasons, 11 career playoff games, one second-team All-NBA selection, never played in a big game in his life other than the gold-medal game of the 2008 Olympics. Now he's fleeing frigid Toronto for South Beach, no state income tax, Dwyane Wade, max money and the playoffs … and this makes him a "superstar"? Did we really drop our standards that low?

Look, I need my NBA superstar to sell tickets, generate interest locally and nationally, single-handedly guarantee an average supporting cast 45-50 wins, and potentially be the best player on a Finals team if the other pieces are in place, which means only LeBron, Wade, Howard, Durant and Kobe qualify.

:nana:

Let's say LeBron signs with Miami. Can you even make the Finals with LeBron, Bosh, Wade and nine minimum-salary guys? Because that might be next year's team … and if that's what happens, the answer is "no effing way." You don't win titles just because of your top three. That belittles the meaning of guys like Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, John Paxson, Brian Shaw … you could go on for hours naming role players who swung a title. The 2008 Celts lucked out by getting James Posey, Eddie House and P.J. Brown for practically nothing; Miami wouldn't have that luxury this summer, not with so many role players jockeying for contracts one year before the possible lockout. Nobody is taking less money to showcase themselves for a summer that might not happen. Even if Miami could spin Michael Beasley for a fourth guy (say, Trevor Ariza), that's still not enough. They'd need one more rebounder, point guard, a 3-point shooter and a center. Good luck.

:rolleyes::o:cry::doh::blink:

What a dumbass.

:rolleyes::blink::nana::cry::nana:

What a dumbass.

Yeah, Simmons runs hot and cold. I read him because his passion for the NBA is unmatched and for the most part, I enjoy his style and flow (he can get a little too ADHD for me though).

I thought that paragraph was stupid as well...but I do subscribe to the idea that a LeBron/Wade/Bosh trio has weaknesses and is a classic "whole is less than the sum of its parts" situation. The LeBron/Wade dynamic will be very interesting to follow...it will not be easy for them to maximize their effectiveness together. But it just may be (as Simmons pointed out) that LeBron is not a Kobe/MJ-wired killer and he never will be. If this is the case, then he needs a Wade anyway.

Yeah, Simmons runs hot and cold. I read him because his passion for the NBA is unmatched and for the most part, I enjoy his style and flow (he can get a little too ADHD for me though).

I thought that paragraph was stupid as well...but I do subscribe to the idea that a LeBron/Wade/Bosh trio has weaknesses and is a classic "whole is less than the sum of its parts" situation. The LeBron/Wade dynamic will be very interesting to follow...it will not be easy for them to maximize their effectiveness together. But it just may be (as Simmons pointed out) that LeBron is not a Kobe/MJ-wired killer and he never will be. If this is the case, then he needs a Wade anyway.

Yeah, let's make no mistake...Lebron, Wade, and Bosh will all have to take minor hits in salary, ego, and PPG...but they will win titles barring some catastrophic injury situation.

Yeah, let's make no mistake...Lebron, Wade, and Bosh will all have to take minor hits in salary, ego, and PPG...but they will win titles barring some catastrophic injury situation.

Would it not be funny if Lebron does sign in Miami, they sign all 3 to max contracts and Miami goes 3-4 years after that without winning a title. That would be fantastic.

I hope he choses chicago, they have the most ready win now roster.

Would it not be funny if Lebron does sign in Miami, they sign all 3 to max contracts and Miami goes 3-4 years after that without winning a title. That would be fantastic.

I'd love that, but it ain't happening. Boston went from worst to first by adding an aging Allen and Garnett to Pierce. I can't even imagine how good Miami will be by adding Bosh and Lebron.

I'd love that, but it ain't happening. Boston went from worst to first by adding an aging Allen and Garnett to Pierce. I can't even imagine how good Miami will be by adding Bosh and Lebron.

They'd be pretty awesome...I think this whole "3 Stars and 9 minimum-salaries" thing is a little overplayed...we're talking about an unprecedented joining of talent in their primes, not your average title contender. I think LeBron could thrive by altering his game to be more of a point forward. He could put up Magic Johnson numbers (I'd see 21-9-13 as reasonable), especially with Wade. And it also appears that these guys already have great chemistry.

The things they don't have that the Celtics did are hunger and good role players. This is strictly my opinion, but I think Wade is the only one of those three that has the mindset that Allen/KG/Pierce had when they got to Boston. LeBron still seems to care more about his "brand" and Bosh just seems like he wants to be famous and live in South Beach. This could change in time and it could also all be bull ****. But despite the orgy of talent they would bring to Miami, they will need hunger and cohesion to win multiple rings. LA and Boston aren't ready to leave the party yet, Orlando isn't going anywhere, OKC is coming up, Chicago is coming up, etc. No one is going to lay down for them and the talent gap isn't so great that they can cruise.