Bills | Brian Brohm believes he is ready to be the Bills starter...

Buffalo Bills QB Brian Brohm said he believes he is ready to be the starting quarterback for the Bills, according to Michael Grant, of the Louisville Courier-Journal. "I feel like I can fully compete for this starting job. I feel like I'm ready to take charge out there. We'll see what happens. But I feel like I'm at a position where I'll be able to put my best foot forward and make a legitimate run at the starting job," Brohm said.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL#ixzz0swxZb7dM

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo Bills QB Brian Brohm said he believes he is ready to be the starting quarterback for the Bills, according to Michael Grant, of the Louisville Courier-Journal. "I feel like I can fully compete for this starting job. I feel like I'm ready to take charge out there. We'll see what happens. But I feel like I'm at a position where I'll be able to put my best foot forward and make a legitimate run at the starting job," Brohm said.

Go Brohm!! If reports were 100% accurate and the QB derby was too close to call, go with the player who has the most upside. At this point that player is Brian Brohm. Even if Gailey believed that Edwards was slightly ahead of Brohm, I would still trot Brohm out there with the first team and let Edwards run the second team. That way, you see if Edwards has the competitive fight to reclaim the starting position and at the same time, you provide Brohm with added confidence, as well as an opportunity to fail/succeed, which he hasn't had yet...

Go Brohm!! If reports were 100% accurate and the QB derby was too close to call, go with the player who has the most upside. At this point that player is Brian Brohm. Even if Gailey believed that Edwards was slightly ahead of Brohm, I would still trot Brohm out there with the first team and let Edwards run the second team. That way, you see if Edwards has the competitive fight to reclaim the starting position and at the same time, you provide Brohm with added confidence, as well as an opportunity to fail/succeed, which he hasn't had yet...

I like that Brohm is showing some confidence that he can get the job done. But it still remains to be seen if he or any of this very questionable lot can get it done. I think practice is important. But what will really matters is what happens in the preseason games. With this QB competition, the preseason games may actually be worth watching intently for a change. Whoever can move the team the best, and lead this team to points should be our starter. I don't care which of the three it is. I just want points and wins. Hopefully, Gailey will get the best out of all three. I am excited!!

to date brohm's biggest problem has been confidence, he lost it in GB and didnt know the system well. Now, here in buffalo, he is in a system that he is comfortable with, he has seemingly regained his confidence, and by all accounts is poised to win this starting job.

This is a guy that was being touted as a top 10 pick had he come out his Jr. year, it would be an absolute coup and one of the biggest steals of the decade if he gets the job and becomes a solid player.

I'm ready for Brian Brohm to be the Bills starter, too.

He's going to be like another Louisville QB - Johnny Unitas - who was discarded by the Steelers before hooking on with the Colts!

This is the kind of confidence we need in a qb. I hope it develops

into a kick ass take no prisoners type mentality that rubs off on

the rest of the offense. We need a leader. Maybe Brohm is getting

his mojo back.

I wouldn't doubt that Gailey and Brohm would have more in common on a personal level. Both of them are from the South (some might not consider Kentucky the South, but they probably haven't been there), and it's a bit of a different wavelength. I'm not saying it's the most important factor, but it might well/could be a factor. Y'all

I think we are all so desperate for a quality QB. I really hope Brohm can deliver as much as anyone but I really have my reservations. I believe at some point whether the first game or last and most likely somewhere in between he will "get his shot." Lots hope "he is the franchise QB" we all are looking for. I think that would put us in a much better position for next years draft too.

This is the kind of confidence we need in a qb. I hope it develops

into a kick ass take no prisoners type mentality that rubs off on

the rest of the offense. We need a leader. Maybe Brohm is getting

his mojo back.

Agreed that these type of confident expressions is what you want to hear. While him saying this is no guarantee at all that it will happen, ironically if he did not have this belief in himself then he almost certainly will not succeed in becoming the franchise QB. One of the necessary elements in being a leader of a team is that you have to demonstrate you believe in yourself.

While one should never mistake the horrible reality of real combat for the high-priced but relative trivia of playing a boys game, the analogies of the leadership needed to lead a team into battle effectively are proximate to a lot of what it takes to lead a team to sports victory.

While the generals are a useful thing to hang in the rear and decide upon and implement overarching stragegy, the key to the successful team is the on the ground leadership provided in war by the platoon leader. This person does not send troops off to die in battle but says follow me and leads troops into the breach.

Our overuse of war language to describe something as silly a football game is to a great extent at least unfortunate (and actually a bit insulting to those who really risk it all in battle for the benefit of society) however, it is accurate in leading a team into any high stakes endeavor that the true leader has an almost insane level of confidence in themselves and in their team. It is this follow me leadership which gets the other players on the team to also do insane things that allows a team (if they are lucky) to ultimately win.

I do not care who wins the QB battle between these three candidates (or Levi Add-on whathisname) wins the job. I just care that someone proves to be good enough and lucky enough to deserve it.

The one mistake which I hope the braintrust does not make is not trust and wait on the eventual QB with the right tools to win the job themselves on the field. Even if Brohm seems to the coaches based on practice to be the one who they think deserves the job, a key is likely they should not simply award him the job based on their "superior" judgment but instead trust that the game through the vagaries of injuries or some other twist of fate allows Brohm to prove himself on the field and really grab the job by the throat himself and then refuse to let it go with his superior play.

I also think Brohm is the most likely of the three to be the real deal (I think Edwards is actually good but unfortunately has been too injury prone to rely on as the franchise- I have hopes for Fitzy to play the Frank Reich role but I do not think he is talented enough to be a consistent starter.

However, particularly since Brohm has a shot in GB and failed I think that him winning the job rather than being given the job is smart for us and probably useful for him to win the hearts and minds of his teammates and fans.

Agreed that these type of confident expressions is what you want to hear. While him saying this is no guarantee at all that it will happen, ironically if he did not have this belief in himself then he almost certainly will not succeed in becoming the franchise QB. One of the necessary elements in being a leader of a team is that you have to demonstrate you believe in yourself.

While one should never mistake the horrible reality of real combat for the high-priced but relative trivia of playing a boys game, the analogies of the leadership needed to lead a team into battle effectively are proximate to a lot of what it takes to lead a team to sports victory.

While the generals are a useful thing to hang in the rear and decide upon and implement overarching stragegy, the key to the successful team is the on the ground leadership provided in war by the platoon leader. This person does not send troops off to die in battle but says follow me and leads troops into the breach.

Our overuse of war language to describe something as silly a football game is to a great extent at least unfortunate (and actually a bit insulting to those who really risk it all in battle for the benefit of society) however, it is accurate in leading a team into any high stakes endeavor that the true leader has an almost insane level of confidence in themselves and in their team. It is this follow me leadership which gets the other players on the team to also do insane things that allows a team (if they are lucky) to ultimately win.

I do not care who wins the QB battle between these three candidates (or Levi Add-on whathisname) wins the job. I just care that someone proves to be good enough and lucky enough to deserve it.

The one mistake which I hope the braintrust does not make is not trust and wait on the eventual QB with the right tools to win the job themselves on the field. Even if Brohm seems to the coaches based on practice to be the one who they think deserves the job, a key is likely they should not simply award him the job based on their "superior" judgment but instead trust that the game through the vagaries of injuries or some other twist of fate allows Brohm to prove himself on the field and really grab the job by the throat himself and then refuse to let it go with his superior play.

I also think Brohm is the most likely of the three to be the real deal (I think Edwards is actually good but unfortunately has been too injury prone to rely on as the franchise- I have hopes for Fitzy to play the Frank Reich role but I do not think he is talented enough to be a consistent starter.

However, particularly since Brohm has a shot in GB and failed I think that him winning the job rather than being given the job is smart for us and probably useful for him to win the hearts and minds of his teammates and fans.

I Really liked reading what you wrote. Finding a qb, any qb with the talent and "insane confidence" to lead the players "into the breach" and to get the players to find that extra something in themselves that they normally wouldn't have had. A qb who the players will follow into oblivion if need be out of loyalty.

Very good post. I have heard very good things about your previous post with another screen name.

Here is my concern with Brohm. He had his chance to become a number two QB in Green Bay and he failed. All the reports I have read indicated he lacked or lost confidence. That alone is a huge red flag to me. As you pointed out, a QB must be a leader and a confident leader. I believe the lost of confidence issue is a huge issue with Brohm and also Edwards. I think it is more "deep rooted" and part of thier pyschological makeup. I can't remember the great QB's ever really lacking confidence... A franchise QB must proccess an almost "cocky like" attitude that oozes out confidence. First one to come to my mind is Jim Kelly. I don't think it can be taught. I think you have it or you don't. (side note that's why I like Jimmy Clausen)

Just my two cents. Time will tell whether Brohm has the leadership qualities to become our franchise QB.

Very good post. I have heard very good things about your previous post with another screen name.

Here is my concern with Brohm. He has a chance to become a number two QB in Green Bay and he failed. All the reports I have read indicate he lacked or lost confidence. That alone is a huge red flag to me. As you pointed out, a QB must be a leader and a confident leader. Following your post above, what would the military do to a platoon leader who lost confidence and lacked judgement to make the proper decisions? I don't know because I was never in the military. Would they get a second chance? I believe the lost of confidence issue is a huge issue with Brohm and also Edwards. I think it is more "deep rooted" and part of thier pyschological makeup. I can't remember the great QB's ever really lacking confidence... A franchise QB must proccess an almost "cocky like" attitude that oozes out confidence. I don't think it can be taught. I think you have it or you don't. (that's why I like Jimmy Clausen)

Just my two cents. Time will tell whether Brohm has the leadership qualities to become our franchise QB.

the confidence problems he suffered with in GB were due in part to the system, and has been well documented. As he himself stated in the article, he has regained confidence and has confidence in the system the resembles what he ran at UL. this wouldnt be the first time a player, esp a chan gailey coached player (maddox), has come back from almost certain failure to find success. As we all know, only time will tell, but IMo, brohms troubles in GB came from the situation, system, and disappointment.

not many players, esp a QB, would be stoked about dropping a whole rd (projected top 10 to top 2nd rd), then getting drafted to a team with one of the premier QBs in the league (rodgers) and a completely foreign system that doesnt complement his skills (WCO).

Im not making excuses for him, he clearly failed to live up to his billing in GB, but I can see where it wasn't a good situation for him, which is why he spurned their matched contract and opted to come here instead.

I can only imagine that he is even further delighted with his decision now that chan gailey is here. Our new HC has had success rehabbing so-so Qb's such as jay fiedler, tommy maddox, kordell stewart, tyler thigpin, plus has coached a few greats like Elway and Aikman.

Bottom line is, he will have to win the job, we all know that, nothing will be handed over, but from what we have seen and heard, all signs are pointing to this being brohms team in 2010, and that's probably a good thing.

the confidence problems he suffered with in GB were due in part to the system, and has been well documented. As he himself stated in the article, he has regained confidence and has confidence in the system the resembles what he ran at UL. this wouldnt be the first time a player, esp a chan gailey coached player (maddox), has come back from almost certain failure to find success. As we all know, only time will tell, but IMo, brohms troubles in GB came from the situation, system, and disappointment.

not many players, esp a QB, would be stoked about dropping a whole rd (projected top 10 to top 2nd rd), then getting drafted to a team with one of the premier QBs in the league (rodgers) and a completely foreign system that doesnt complement his skills (WCO).

Im not making excuses for him, he clearly failed to live up to his billing in GB, but I can see where it wasn't a good situation for him, which is why he spurned their matched contract and opted to come here instead.

I can only imagine that he is even further delighted with his decision now that chan gailey is here. Our new HC has had success rehabbing so-so Qb's such as jay fiedler, tommy maddox, kordell stewart, tyler thigpin, plus has coached a few greats like Elway and Aikman.

Bottom line is, he will have to win the job, we all know that, nothing will be handed over, but from what we have seen and heard, all signs are pointing to this being brohms team in 2010, and that's probably a good thing.

Bill thanks for responding back. I think everyone deserves a second chance and that includes Brohm. In a nutshell, I don't think the guy has the "it" factor based on his prior actions/behaviors to be a franchise QB. I think he has a decent chance under Gailey's leadership to be a decent to slighty above average QB. Not to mention the OL problems can hurt his confidence and effectiveness...

I think we all including myself are so desperate for a quaility QB that sometimes we are "grasping at straws." I really think this Brohm situation fits that expression "to a tee".

Yet, I am excited to see if the kid can produce... How excited would it be right now if we drafted Clausen?????? We would be lighting up this board with optimism.

Interesting Brian Brohm Statistic - he completed ~66% of his passes in college. This statistic is probably the most important indicator on how well a college QB fairs in the NFL. Anything north of 60% is typically good pro-caliber.

P. Manning - 63%

E. Manning - 61%

Rivers - 72% his senior season

I think they said the same thing about Billy Joe Hobert a few years back?