interesting stat about last years team

I've often argued a similar point which is this: Either Jauron was a great coach in keeping it so close with such mediocre talent, or we actually had some decent players with lousy coaches.

Obviously, it's probably somewhere in between, but I don't think anyone here would argue that DJ was a great coach (aside from perhaps Belichick who once was quoted as saying DJ should be coach of the year, but I've always felt that was BB secretly hoping such accoldaes would keep DJ firmly planted as the Bills Coach :thumbsup: ) so it stands to reason that a much better coach (hint: not slightly better) should be able to get a lot out of this group.

It at least gives me hope as a Bills fan that if Gailey is a much better coach, and Nix drafts well, we should see an improved product going forward.

DJ had a QB who lost whatever "it" was that he had for the first 6 games of 2008 and a rash of injuries bordering biblical proportions. I'm not in the "DJ was a great coach" camp, just for the record.

But if Edwards hadn't gotten the sheep dip knocked out of him by Arizona & lost whatever "it" was he had, and the Bills only had 2-3 injuries instead of, what 19+ injuries, who knows how they might have finished in 2008. At 5-1, most "experts" had the Bills winning the AFC East and making a good run into the playoffs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DJ had a QB who lost whatever "it" was that he had for the first 6 games of 2008 and a rash of injuries bordering biblical proportions. I'm not in the "DJ was a great coach" camp, just for the record.

But if Edwards hadn't gotten the sheep dip knocked out of him by Arizona & lost whatever "it" was he had, and the Bills only had 2-3 injuries instead of, what 19+ injuries, who knows how they might have finished in 2008. At 5-1, most "experts" had the Bills winning the AFC East and making a good run into the playoffs.

Maybe Belichick is actually Moses and brought forth a plague of injuries to smite us. :thumbsup:

I've often argued a similar point which is this: Either Jauron was a great coach in keeping it so close with such mediocre talent, or we actually had some decent players with lousy coaches.

Obviously, it's probably somewhere in between, but I don't think anyone here would argue that DJ was a great coach (aside from perhaps Belichick who once was quoted as saying DJ should be coach of the year, but I've always felt that was BB secretly hoping such accoldaes would keep DJ firmly planted as the Bills Coach :thumbsup: ) so it stands to reason that a much better coach (hint: not slightly better) should be able to get a lot out of this group.

It at least gives me hope as a Bills fan that if Gailey is a much better coach, and Nix drafts well, we should see an improved product going forward.

Bill Bellichick doesn't care who coaches the Bills- he's beaten every coach we have throw at him. Maybe (gasp) he has a firmer grasp on who a good coach is than the all-knowing Buffalo Bills fans

ACTUALLY

That stat is wrong.

Week 1 - Winning

Week 2 - Winning

Week 3 - Losing; Within 3

Week 4 - Losing

Week 5 - Tied

Week 6 - Tied

Week 7 - Winning

Week 8 - Winning

Week 9 - BYE WEEK

Week 10 - Tied

Week 11 - Winning

Week 12 - Losing; Within 7 (but won)

Week 13 - Losing; Within 7

Week 14 - Winning

Week 15 - Losing

Week 16 - Losing

Week 17 - Winning

So here are the real stats;

In 7/16 we were winning entering the 4th quarter.

In 10/16 we were winning or tied entering the 4th quarter. (not 14/16 to the original poster)

In 11/16 we were winning, tied, or with 3 entering the 4th quarter.

In 13/16 we were winning, tied, or within 7 entering the 4th quarter.

So basically, we were only out of 3 games by the 4th quarter. Not too shabby.

ACTUALLY

That stat is wrong.

So here are the real stats;

In 7/16 we were winning entering the 4th quarter.

In 10/16 we were winning or tied entering the 4th quarter. (not 14/16 to the original poster)

In 11/16 we were winning, tied, or with 3 entering the 4th quarter.

In 13/16 we were winning, tied, or within 7 entering the 4th quarter.

So basically, we were only out of 3 games by the 4th quarter. Not too shabby.

Thanks. I was going to do what you did, but ran out of time/steam at work.

That the Bills were tied or leading in 10 of the 16 games, and won another they were trailing by 7 going into the 4th quarter, is pretty good, especially considering what was going on with the (n)offense, as well as all the injuries.

Considering the entire team was gased by the 4th quarter it makes sense. The offense couldn't stay on the field and the defense eventually wore out. It also doesn't help that Jauron never had his team in shape.

This is because the team was small going up against bigger and stronger teams.

This coupled with questionable conditioning leads to 4th quarter collapses.

That is why when Chan came on board he said the team needs to be bigger and stronger.

No team can consistantly go up against bigger and stronger team without getting their butts kicked.

It seems that Jauron couldn't figure that one out.

The bills were leading or tied going into the fourth quarter 14 out of 16 games last year, IMO that's pretty good, that means they were in position to win almost every game. I'm not saying they should of gone 14 and 2 but I'm wondering how many games do you think were lost because of poor coaching and how do the bills do last year if they have this years coaching staff?

That stat is interesting. It's also not true. It's been debunked several times on these boards.

Simply not true.

IT WOULD BE NICE IF PEOPLE CHECKED THEIR "FACTS" BEFORE POSTING. particularly if you're starting a thread.

EDIT: Ah, I see Doc already corrected things. And yet people went on and on, ignoring him.

IT'S NOT TRUE, FOLKS!!

That stat is interesting. It's also not true. It's been debunked several times on these boards.

Simply not true.

IT WOULD BE NICE IF PEOPLE CHECKED THEIR "FACTS" BEFORE POSTING. particularly if you're starting a thread.

EDIT: Ah, I see Doc already corrected things. And yet people went on and on, ignoring him.

IT'S NOT TRUE, FOLKS!!

Thanks to you and others for setting the record straight. I should have researched thread starter's facts before replying, as well. Having said that, it is still true that Buffalo was not out of very many games come start of the 4th quarter, so I'll stand by my earlier post that there is some core talent on this team. However, I should have spotted this post immediately as being incorrect. It didn't sound right when I read it and there was a good reason for that -- it was wrong.

Even with the correction to the statistics, we were a sorry 4th quarter team in 2009. It shouldn't be a stretch to have more than one game where we were trailing after 3 that we win. Those games happen even to championship teams, but more times than not, they win.

Jauron was a horrible play caller and nearly everything he tried to do was predictable and ineffective (singing to the choir). Nix and Gailey have put together a very respectable coaching team. Will they all work out? Probably not. At least were not dealing with the loser position and assistant coaches we've had. Some of them have been great. Others should be thrown in prison for impersonating a coach, and not very well.

I remain cautiously optimistic that we can have a moderately disappointing year. I feel much better about our chances in 2011 after Nix and Gailey have had the opportunity to shed more old players that don't have what it takes to win.

Thanks to you and others for setting the record straight. I should have researched thread starter's facts before replying, as well. Having said that, it is still true that Buffalo was not out of very many games come start of the 4th quarter, so I'll stand by my earlier post that there is some core talent on this team. However, I should have spotted this post immediately as being incorrect. It didn't sound right when I read it and there was a good reason for that -- it was wrong.

If almost wins counted as wins the Bills would be a contending team. If that is the case then should we count almost losses as losses?

Trying to explain away one's record and interpret a collection of losses in a better light is a pathetic rationalization of one's long term mediocrity. This topic is an example how losers use lame excuses to justify their futility.

The Bills have been mediocre for a decade. Trying to explain away the ugly truth of organizational ineptitude is not a reason to have hope, it is a demonstration of one's inability to face the reality of a lowly ranked team. This topic is sad and embarrassing. There comes a time when you have to deal with the REAL record and not be invigorated by the delusion of the "WHAT IF" record. How pathetic can one get here?

If almost wins counted as wins the Bills would be a contending team. If that is the case then should we count almost losses as losses?

Trying to explain away one's record and interpret a collection of losses in a better light is a pathetic rationalization of one's long term mediocrity. This topic is an example how losers use lame excuses to justify their futility.

The Bills have been mediocre for a decade. Trying to explain away the ugly truth of organizational ineptitude is not a reason to have hope, it is a demonstration of one's inability to face the reality of a lowly ranked team. This topic is sad and embarrassing. There comes a time when you have to deal with the REAL record and not be invigorated by the delusion of the "WHAT IF" record. How pathetic can one get here?

+1 :thumbsup:

Bill Bellichick doesn't care who coaches the Bills- he's beaten every coach we have throw at him. Maybe (gasp) he has a firmer grasp on who a good coach is than the all-knowing Buffalo Bills fans

Are you implying that Jauron was a good coach?

If so, I think you mean to be in the Jamarcus Russel thread, cause you clearly be on the drank. :thumbsup:

Nothing is more pathetic than wallowing in misery.

:thumbsup:

Most excellent post!

DON'T SPIN, JUST WIN :thumbsup:

People blame coaches and conditioning for the poor fourth quarter results. I think tougher football players, one that can't stand to lose are whats is needed to bring this team around. Hopefully Nix can start to fill the roster with guys that don't accept losing.

Recall the season opener in New England last year. I don't think the final outcome surprised too many players on either sideline.

Seriously!!?? Even though I don't think these stats are correct, to blame the players for this would be completely off track IMO. The players played their butts off even when they knew the leadership on the sidelines had their heads up theirs. Better coaching and conditioning WILL help the Bills, especially better offensive scheming and play calling which I believe Chan will provide. They may not set the league or division on fire instantly but it will happen in time. Mark my words. If not, maybe we won't have the team around to trash anymore anyways, and then we can all go watch re-runs.

I'll beat this drum again. And again, if need be. As OC of Miami, Gailey went head-to-head with Satan and took him three out of four between 2000 - 2001 (a Super Bowl year). For me, simply splitting the goddamn series with the Pats* this year would be a triumph. Eternal optimist that I am, I'm expecting this to happen. I just hope the "W" happens in Foxboro so the camera can switch to the crowd filing out in disgust in the third quarter.

Nothing is more pathetic than wallowing in misery.

Facing the real facts is much more mature than creating one's pathetic "what if" non-reality.

I know for sure that I'm not wallowing in misery over the the team's state of affairs. For me it is only a game and entertainment. You may think you speak for me but you certainly don't. When it gets to the point that a team's record has to be masqueraded in a "what if" then I find it lame and embarrassing.

All I'm saying is that the team has SOME talent. If they didn't they'd be winless or have one or two wins. The organization HAS been inept for a very long time now, but the only way to fix that is to analyze carefully the situation which will inevitably result in rationalizations. I don't equate rationalization with acceptance of the situation. The Bills have been unacceptable the past several years. But as inept as they've been, you still have to weigh all factors, the player talent, the coaching talent, the scouting talent, the owner, and so on. The fact that I can do that and recognize that there is SOME talent on this team in no way is acceptance of their pitiful performance over the years. I agree, winning is the only thing that matters. Almost wins SUCK. They're probably worse than just getting shellacked. The team needs leadership and I think this coaching staff is providing it. I'll remain optimistic that they can turn things around this year.

Facing the real facts is much more mature than creating one's pathetic "what if" non-reality.

I know for sure that I'm not wallowing in misery over the the team's state of affairs. For me it is only a game and entertainment. You may think you speak for me but you certainly don't. When it gets to the point that a team's record has to be masqueraded in a "what if" then I find it lame and embarrassing.

Come now John, you're more mature than wallowing in lameness and embarrassment. Then again, you've been complaining about the team for the past decade and yet here you are. So you're not as mature as you claim, if you still keep on having hope.