Rumors: Troy Smith... as the Bills' starter- ESPN Insider

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I would like this or not. Smith does have a strong arm though, I think he had the fastest clocked pass at his combine, but his accuracy I'm not sure about.

Saw this at ESPN under the insider headline. Anyone have a subscription that can elaborate or is this old news that hasn't been updated?

Those of us with logical minds that have watched Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey don't subscribe to ESPN Insider. With idiotic headlines like those, why does anyone pay to read the rest of the idiotic articles? B-)

Those of us with logical minds that have watched Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey don't subscribe to ESPN Insider. With idiotic headlines like those, why does anyone pay to read the rest of the idiotic articles? B-)

I was just wondering what it said, as idiotic as it may be!

From the where there's smoke there's fire possibility:

PFW's latest issue is out. The Bills are picked 32nd in the rankings. The words after the rating say "There's a slim chance the starting QB isn't on the roster yet." So how should one interpret that with the ESPN story? My guess: It's probably no secret among the media types that Gailey doesn't think much of any of the 3 QBs. That's why the battle has been described as very close. They're all bums & Gailey knows it. Close in this case means he's scared to death of the thought of trying to win games with any one of them at QB. As a result, any time there is the possibility of a QB that "they've heard of" becoming available for little or nothing, the media is going to speculate his acquisition by the Buffalo Bills.

Either that or the media, not Gailey, has such a low opinion of the 3 or 4 if you include Brown, who is apparently not going to contend for the starting job, that any time there is the possibility of a QB that "they've heard of" becoming available for little or nothing, someone will write a story he's headed to Buffalo.

Two Bills items in a row:

Hardy ahead as No. 2 WR?

8:07AM ET

James Hardy | Bills

Top Email

The Buffalo Bills have a problem of sorting out their RB depth chart this offseason (and picking a QB, and figuring out what to do on the O-line, and trying to fit their current defensive personnel into the new 3-4 scheme, et cetera ad nauseum), and they're facing a similar situation with the WRs.

The No. 1 wideout is obviously Lee Evans, but after that, there's nothing set in stone yet. According to Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com, James Hardy has been in the No. 2 spot during some of the offseason practices. Hardy has been a bit out of shape, ESPN.com's Tim Graham observed on June 25, but it's likely a result of recovery from sports hernia surgery.

Allen Wilson of the Buffalo News noted on May 29 that the team could sure use a breakout season by Hardy [Editor's note: among many other things], and Hardy thinks his time spent with Terrell Owens last season may yield some positive benefits. "I learned how to practice every day, how to go all out every rep," Hardy said. "I learned how to watch film. He came to my house; I went to his house often. He showed me how to break film down, what to look at as far as defenders, how to read defenses and how to have a certain communication with the quarterback on certain routes that you want to run."

Fantasy owners should use caution with whomever wins the Bills' No. 2 job, however. Vito Chirco writes that because of Buffalo's uncertain quarterback situation, whichever player starts behind Evans won't have any fantasy value.

With all this talk of No. 2, perhaps we're forgetting that the Bills drafted a very nice tertiary option for the passing game at ninth overall in C.J. Spiller. The versatile back could provoke defenses to alter their game plans, even in spite of the Bills' weaknesses in other areas of the offense:

John Clayton

Spiller will have an impact

"I'm thinking it's reasonable for him to get about 40 or 50 catches. His run-after-the-catch ability should be exceptional. Defenses might have to put a cornerback on him because he should burn most linebackers. The problem facing the Bills is that they don't have enough weapons. Opposing teams will double-team Evans. Once defenses find ways of stopping Spiller, too, then the Bills' offense could grind to a halt."

Troy could be odd man out

8:03AM ET

Troy Smith | Ravens | Interested: Saints?, Bills?

Top Email

UPDATE: Matt Jergensen of NFLGridironGab.com writes that when it comes to the Ravens' QB situation following the signing of Marc Bulger, "All signs would seemingly point to Troy Smith being shown the door." Jergensen cites Smith's potential discontent with being the team's No. 3 quarterback as the primary reason. However, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli pointed out Friday that Smith might be more accepting of the new role than some might think (see below).

---

The Baltimore Sun's Peter Schmuck writes Saturday that, following Baltimore's addition of veteran QB Bulger, it would be better for all involved if the team traded Smith to the Bills, where he might have a chance to win the starting job.

In April, Smith finally signed his RFA tender, but the buzz then was that he could still be traded. At Ravens minicamp in May, Smith addressed his future in saying, "my time will come," according to the Baltimore Sun. He followed that up by saying, "I love it here," although we're pretty sure he'd love it somewhere else where he actually got to play.

All of the Troy trade chatter becomes all the more relevant now following the Ravens' signing of Bulger to be their primary backup to Joe Flacco. As ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker wrote following news of the signing, Smith was unhappy as the No. 2, so it stands to reason he'll be even more perturbed at being the No. 3, emergency QB. This doesn't necessarily mean he'll be traded, but he certainly became much more expendable.

We've argued before that Smith would be a good fit for Chan Gailey's scheme in Buffalo if the coach decides to run some version of the spread offense, but as of yet we haven't heard anything concrete on a possible trade between the Ravens and Bills involving Troy. Moreover, Gailey has stated that while he won't officially name a starter at QB until sometime during the preseason, he expects to have a pecking order, and it's unclear whether he's open to adding a fifth man to that rotation.

One last long-shot option, however, could be the New Orleans Saints, as we wrote earlier. Mark Brunell is likely on his way to the Jets, and the Saints are believed to be close to signing free agent Patrick Ramsey as the veteran backup to Drew Brees. However, the team may want to consider Smith if he is indeed available.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli writes that Smith might opt to keep quiet and just stick with the Ravens for now:

Len Pasquarelli

Smith might want to stay put

"Even with the addition of Bulger, the Ravens aren't likely to release either of their other backups, Troy Smith or John Beck, before camp opens. Each youngster is scheduled to make just $1.101 million in 2010. And although Smith very publicly asked for a trade through his then-agent earlier this spring, he isn't going to reiterate that request. With new agent Neil Cornrich, the three-year veteran and 2006 Heisman Trophy winner is now content in Baltimore, even after Bulger's acquisition fattened the depth chart. The former Ohio State star is only 25 years old. Although he's appeared in just 14 games (two starts) in three seasons, he is aware of the benefits of being with a solid franchise, and knows that it sometimes takes a few years for a quarterback to get his shot."

I don't know.

Why is somebody else's 3rd stringer now somehow our starter?

What has Troy Smith done since coming to the NFL? What, his upside is supposedly better than what we have on the roster right now?

No, if we need to make a trade it should be for a starting caliber LT.

I think veteran Jeff Garcia would have been an amazing signing, because despite his age and the debacle in Cleveland, he has lit it up wherever he has played. We could sign him for a 2 year deal, and draft the real QB of the future in the next draft.

I really don't see Troy Smith doing anything to bolster our QB ranks.

I don't know.

Why is somebody else's 3rd stringer now somehow our starter?

What has Troy Smith done since coming to the NFL? What, his upside is supposedly better than what we have on the roster right now?

No, if we need to make a trade it should be for a starting caliber LT.

I think veteran Jeff Garcia would have been an amazing signing, because despite his age and the debacle in Cleveland, he has lit it up wherever he has played. We could sign him for a 2 year deal, and draft the real QB of the future in the next draft.

I really don't see Troy Smith doing anything to bolster our QB ranks.

It doesn't make any sense for a rebuilding team to bring in a 40-year old QB. Troy Smith might have it, he might not. But it would be a low-risk proposition and it wouldn't preclude us from trading for an LT if that's the direction the FO wanted to go. Troy Smith wouldn't require more than a fifth at absolute most; a solid LT would require a first or second round pick most likely.

It doesn't make any sense for a rebuilding team to bring in a 40-year old QB. Troy Smith might have it, he might not. But it would be a low-risk proposition and it wouldn't preclude us from trading for an LT if that's the direction the FO wanted to go. Troy Smith wouldn't require more than a fifth at absolute most; a solid LT would require a first or second round pick most likely.

Where does the 40 year old part come in here??

Troy Smith #10 QB

2009 STATS

RAT YDS TD

21.3 24 0

2009 FANTASY STATS

% OWN WK +/- AVG DRAFT

0.0% 0.0% Undrafted

Birth Date July 20, 1984

Birth Place Columbus, OH

Height 6-0 <----- I don't like that.

Weight 225 lbs.

Age 25

Position QB

Experience 4 years

College Ohio State

---

The Baltimore Sun's Peter Schmuck writes Saturday that, following Baltimore's addition of veteran QB Bulger, it would be better for all involved if the team traded Smith to the Bills, where he might have a chance to win the starting job.

B-)

I agree...

We are trying to, in a way, start from the ground up...and build a young team for the future.

I would much rather trade a 5th to the Ravens for Troy Smith, possibly find our starter for this year at $1 million...and see what the kid can do. He won a Heisman doing exactly what Gailey is good at gameplanning...running the spread.

Jeff Garcia would not be a wise choice, especially with the amount of money he might want...and moeso because he would probably come in expecting to be the starter from Day 1...and we do NOT need that.

Troy Smith - Spiller - Lynch - Jackson - Evans - Nelson - Parrish <------Playmakers/Weapons B-)

(You cannot put the word "Playmaker OR Weapon" next to ANY of the other QB's)

I can appreciate all the talk and support for signing Troy Smith. I understand he comes at a very low price. Can't the same be said about Jason Campbell who in IMO is hands down a better more proven NFL QB. The Bills didn't sign him and I would be shocked if they sign Smith or any other QB.

We just have to hope one of these guys can produce.

I don't know if I would like this or not. Smith does have a strong arm though, I think he had the fastest clocked pass at his combine, but his accuracy I'm not sure about.

It sucks. You can be sure about that.

When a team brings in Marc Bulger to replace Troy Smith, how does that make Smith more attractive?

It sucks. You can be sure about that.

When a team brings in Marc Bulger to replace Troy Smith, how does that make Smith more attractive?

I hear you, but I think it's because he's a young QB who got sick at the wrong time and, thus, really hasn't gotten much of a chance. Bulger is proven and Smith isn't yet. I guess the Ravens didn't want to take a chance that Sal Paolantonio is right. B-)

A lot of us want a proven QB (I've seen the names Garcia & Campbell thrown around in this thread), but that QB comes at a price. It won't happen.

I can see this Troy Smith thing happening. He's saying the right things, but you have to believe he's not happy being relegated to the 3rd QB w/o being given much of a shot. Perhaps he needs the right offense? Hard to say, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for Smith, Brown being sent to the PS, and one of Edwards/Brohm being shown the door.