Rumors: Troy Smith... as the Bills' starter- ESPN Insider

A few points that haven't been raised:

If you (major, and by implication, PDaDdy) argue that Chan can "get more out of Troy Smith," then you probably have to concede that Chan is also qualified to evaluate Troy Smith. If Chan is not willing to give anything up for Troy Smith in a trade, then that says it all as far as how Chan feels about Smith.

Secondly we're being a bit murky about the circumstances surrounding (hypothetically) bringing in Troy Smith.

Obviously if he's released, then what harm is there in bringing him in for a tryout?

BUT, for those who want to trade for Smith, what round draft pick are you willing to give up for him?

Finally, to answer the question, "what do we have to lose?" we have a lot to lose.

The Bills, between minicamps and OTAs have had 23 days of workouts. On some of those days, they've practiced twice. In between those practices they've been in meetings, evaluating videos of practice, working out together, and many of the players have undoubtedly been studying the playbook.

Now some of you want to bring in a guy who may or may not be better than what we have, so that person can take snaps away from the guys who've been working their asses off for two months?

According to what we know, the offense has already been installed. According to Coach Gailey, training camp will consist of review and development of the foundation already laid in OTAs and minicamps.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Troy Smith (after he's cut) and giving him a tryout. If he shows promise, sign him and jettison one of the other guys.

But trading for Smith and letting him compete for the opening day job after he's missed more than half the offseason is a lose-lose situation for all the quarterbacks. There are only so many snaps to go around. Most of those snaps have already been invested.

I don't care how long the guys we have have been working their asses off. If they suck they suck and showing up for OTAs does not, or at least, shouldn't guarantee you a shot if you suck. Brohm is the only guy I have any real hope for. Gailey is known for creative offense and bringing COLLEGE concepts to the pros. Sound like it's right up the alley for a potential trade candidate QB?

As for what it takes to get Troy Smith. Again, he was a 5th round pick and is of no use on their depth chart having signed Bulger to mentor obviously not play. What can Baltimore really be trying to get for him in return?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big deal Troy Smith was named the starter in Baltimore.

there is a long history of quarterbacks who have been named starters and never done much.

just look here in Buffalo.

that's not to say that Troy Smith is a bad quarterback, he's merely unproven. and Pdaddy's obsession here is a little much, i think.

the key, i think, is Troy Smith is no longer the starter in Baltimore, and the Ravens, i would guess, are happy with that scenario given the fact that they've actually found a bona fide starter capable of getting them to the playoffs.

Troy Smith cannot lay claim to that fact because he is unproven.

jw

Two points.

I actually much preferred Jason Campbell to Smith even though I "prefer" Smith to anyone but potentialy Brohm on our roster because he is also "somewhat" unproven. Brohm however did "prove" that as a second round pick he wasn't good enough to back up Aaron Rogers and was moved to the practice squad not even 3rd string.

Troy Smith is indeed unproven. Personally I would take unproven potential over proven failure any day which is what we have at the QB position. People need to stop thinking of Edwards as a raw rookie who hasn't been given a chance to see what he can do. Edwards is entering his 4th year having had many starts in each of the last 3 years. Proven failure.

So much pathology in one post!

Anyway, for maybe the fourth time---Troy had one start in game 2 preseason. He was SO BAD, they yanked him before the half. Then, before giving up on him and settling on Boller or Flacco, they decided to give Smith one more try and decided to let him start another preseason game (3).

This is what actually happened. On your planet, it occured differently, apparently, and I can respect that.

Uh news flash genius. Starting QBs don't play up to and through the half in preseason game 2. But thanks for also letting me know that he was the starter for preseason game 2 as well as preseason game 3 that year :P But hey....he wasn't the teams starter.

Let me guess, did he start preseason week 1 too? LOL

Two points.

I actually much preferred Jason Campbell to Smith even though I "prefer" Smith to anyone but potentialy Brohm on our roster because he is also "somewhat" unproven. Brohm however did "prove" that as a second round pick he wasn't good enough to back up Aaron Rogers and was moved to the practice squad not even 3rd string.

Troy Smith is indeed unproven. Personally I would take unproven potential over proven failure any day which is what we have at the QB position. People need to stop thinking of Edwards as a raw rookie who hasn't been given a chance to see what he can do. Edwards is entering his 4th year having had many starts in each of the last 3 years. Proven failure.

fine. but Troy Smith won't be able to prove anything in the Bills system any time soon, given that he's going to have to learn it and missed all of minicamp to do so.

at first glance, it appears the Bills are going to address QB situation next offseason.

jw

fine. but Troy Smith won't be able to prove anything in the Bills system any time soon, given that he's going to have to learn it and missed all of minicamp to do so.

at first glance, it appears the Bills are going to address QB situation next offseason.

jw

Honestly I agree with you that I think the Bills will address QB next year...Check the signature. LOL. Do I think Troy Smith is "the answer" at the QB position? I have no idea. What I do know is that he would bring competition to a poorly stocked position on our team. I am also confident that he is very likely better than anything we have.

Uh news flash genius. Starting QBs don't play up to and through the half in preseason game 2. But thanks for also letting me know that he was the starter for preseason game 2 as well as preseason game 3 that year :rolleyes: But hey....he wasn't the teams starter.

Let me guess, did he start preseason week 1 too? LOL

No, he didn't.

And no, he wasn't. I don't know how to help you any longer. You must be messing with me---no one is this dense.

Tell you what--go look up what happened to the Ravens "starter" in game 2 of the preseason. Then report back to us. Better yet, have a loved one at home do it so they can explain it to you before you make a bigger fool out of yourself with your next whacky post on this subject.

Drew Bledsoe once was the starter for the new England Patriots. He lost his job due to injury. The Bills signed him.

It worked out really well for Buffalo, but New England is still trying to find someone to play QB for them.

Let's get this deal done. Smith has proved way more than Bledsoe ever did.

Finally, to answer the question, "what do we have to lose?" we have a lot to lose.

The Bills, between minicamps and OTAs have had 23 days of workouts... On some of those days, they've practiced twice. In between those practices they've been in meetings, evaluating videos of their practice, working out together and...studying the playbook...But trading for Smith and letting him compete for the opening day job after he's missed more than half the offseason is a lose-lose situation for all the quarterbacks. There are only so many snaps to go around. Most of those snaps have already been invested.

I don't care how long the guys we have have been working their asses off. If they suck they suck and showing up for OTAs does not, or at least, shouldn't guarantee you a shot if you suck. Brohm is the only guy I have any real hope for. Gailey is known for creative offense and bringing COLLEGE concepts to the pros. Sound like it's right up the alley for a potential trade candidate QB?

As for what it takes to get Troy Smith. Again, he was a 5th round pick and is of no use on their depth chart having signed Bulger to mentor obviously not play. What can Baltimore really be trying to get for him in return?

So what I'm getting from you is this: You'd be fine with the Bills trading a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick for Troy Smith and thrusting him into the quarterback competition after the other quarterbacks have had a two month head start on him. Gotcha.

PDaDdy, you're missing my points.

Troy Smith has proven nothing. There is no evidence that he is an upgrade over what we have. Why send away draft picks for the guy and then thrust him into the QB competition when the other QBs have a huge head start over him?

Smith would be at a huge disadvantage in the competition and would also take away snaps from the other quarterbacks who the team has already invested LOTS of time in.

It's a lose-lose. It's a nonsensical stab at trying to improve the football team. The chances of it hurting the team would be higher than the chances of helping the team because the TIMING couldn't be worse.